Got some stuff to give away.

gavinhaley

Got some stuff to give away.
« on: 19 Jun 2018, 04:55 pm »
Hi all. Gavin here. Long time no talk. I have some DACS to give away. Please drop me a line @ gavin haley@ charter dot net. Just drop the spaces .....etc. I'm trying to clear out some of the clutter. This is for Gateway Audio Circle members only. I will not be shipping a thing. Too many things to do. Sorry.

Gavin

wedweb

Re: Got some stuff to give away.
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jun 2018, 03:34 am »
Picked up the Cobalt DAC from Gavin.  Hooked it up and giving it a good listening.  Sounds great.  Will be looking up all what the unit is actually doing and learning.  Thank you Gavin.  This has been a great opportunity to experience something new and find more enjoyment in life.

Bo

popthinker

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jun 2018, 05:14 am »
Picked up the Cobalt DAC from Gavin.  Hooked it up and giving it a good listening.  Sounds great.  Will be looking up all what the unit is actually doing and learning.  Thank you Gavin.  This has been a great opportunity to experience something new and find more enjoyment in life.

Bo
Bo, that's one of the NAD pe series amps, right? They sound great. They can't keep radio stations preset for more than five minutes, but otherwise they offer nice pure current.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jun 2018, 05:32 am »
Bo, that's one of the NAD pe series amps, right? They sound great. They can't keep radio stations preset for more than five minutes, but otherwise they offer nice pure current.

Really? I've never heard of that, is that a widespread problem?

Wind Chaser

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jun 2018, 05:37 am »
Hi all. Gavin here. Long time no talk. I have some DACS to give away.

Hey Gavin,

Welcome to AC; that's very generous of you! I hope all your DACs find good homes .  :thumb:

Johnny2Bad

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jun 2018, 07:41 am »
Really? I've never heard of that, is that a widespread problem?

I know of a few instances. I owned one for a while that had similar issues.

wedweb

« Reply #6 on: 3 Jul 2018, 10:39 pm »

It is the 7240PE, it does sound good and robust.  I have another one that's missing the power button and speaker connectors.  I haven't done anything with it, just hanging onto it for maybe parts.  Haven't really tried programming stations.  Mainly use it for CD, tape and vinyl.

Bo

popthinker

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jul 2018, 03:13 am »
I use my 7175pe for exactly the same things. Drives my Martin Logan Aerius speakers much better than the amp I originally bought for them.

EvanF

• audio repair guy
« Reply #8 on: 16 Jul 2018, 04:03 am »
I know of a few instances. I owned one for a while that had similar issues.

Did the issue persist from the 80s when the receiver was made? Failing to hold stations may indicate loss of power to the volatile memory, from a battery or supercapacitor or even just a large value capacitor failing to work properly.

If the issue existed within just years after production, I imagine a failing battery would not be the cause. Otherwise that's the first place I would look.

I have fixed a NAD receiver like this one before and worked on many digital receivers. All had batteries or high value capacitors to save the station after device is powered off.