Fm radio antenna advice

Magnus

Fm radio antenna advice
« on: 15 Jan 2018, 05:04 pm »
Hello, I have a nice Denon tuner I picked up on Craigslist for a mere $10 some years ago. However, I’m having trouble pulling in the local classical station, which is pretty weak. I’d like a recommendation for a good FM radio antenna, preferably one that is not powered. I just haven’t seemed to have good luck with those.  I was sort of intrigued by the idea of HD radio, but I think I’d be better off with a decent antenna instead.  My current one is an old Optimus one that’s just a small tabletop one.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Fm radio antenna advice
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jan 2018, 05:56 pm »
The best antennas for analog radio are external and big, if you live in a building you could put one on the roof, of course it dont apply to digital radio or TV.

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jan 2018, 07:26 pm »
107.3? Yeah they're a low-power station. Where are you located? I think I read somewhere that their transmitter is in Brentwood, but they only have a 20 mile range, but even beyond probably 10 miles it gets weak. I'm in Tower Grove and can never get the Stereo lamp on my receiver to light with 107.3, but I am able to tune just about any other local station fairly well.

Assuming you've already tried something like this https://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express-FM-Dipole-Antenna/dp/B000M9EREE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1516044184&sr=8-4&keywords=fm+dipole+antenna and aren't having luck, let us know if you come up with another solution that works well and doesn't require a giant radio tower on your roof.

The "millenial" in me wants to say just stream it via their website, but I believe that's compressed to a pretty low bitrate.

Blu99Zoomer

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jan 2018, 08:48 pm »
I have to agree with FullRangeMan and say that I have had my best reception with a well aimed, external antenna.  Whether you are talking longer distance signals or rejection of a stronger, closer station signal, I prefer in my suburban, hilly location an external antenna over an inside dipole(I have seen an in-the-attic set up that looked intriguing).  For HD you need an HD receiver.  There is less background noise with HD.  The sound through my Sony XDR-F1HD tuner is almost cd quality while listening with great near channel rejection.  But I picked up an older Sansui TU-9900 am/fm tuner.  I play it through a Setton AS 3300 integrated amplifier.  The tuner is connected to an outdoor antenna via 75 ohm cable.  I had the tuner and integrated amp tuned up at a local electronics shop.  Both tuners work well and sound very nice.  I am fortunate to have a couple of classical and a couple of jazz stations within my reach that sound good enough to want to listen regularly over the airwaves.  Streaming is an alternative to live radio.  But at this point, I am happy to listen to live radio.  There are several good websites for additional information on antennas, aiming same for best reception, and general DIY radio/antenna stuff out there on Google.  Best of luck with your decision.

Best Regards,

Blu99Zoomer

JakeJ

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #5 on: 15 Jan 2018, 09:35 pm »
Just about everything that you need to know about FM antennas:
http://ham-radio.com/k6sti/index.html

Also this page, but the photos have been lost.
"EV's Best Top Rated FM and HD Radio Antenna Guide & Reviews'
https://www.dtvusaforum.com/threads/4396-EV-s-Best-Top-Rated-FM-and-HD-Radio-Antenna-Guide-amp-Reviews

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 15 Jan 2018, 09:38 pm »

richidoo

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jan 2018, 09:50 pm »
Here's another one, intended for FM. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NRHAV2K

You also need a mast and brackets for attaching the mast to the side of your house. 13 years ago I bought it all at local Radio Shack, not anymore. There are several mounting brackets on Amazon.

You have to earth the antenna and mast to the same earthing rod used for your house's electric utility. I also use a lightning arrestor on the antenna signal coax before it comes into the house, and that arrestor is grounded to the same grounding wire that earths the mast. If all these connections are good and you connect the antenna grounding wire directly to the earthing rod then you won't have any ground loop problems. The grounding wire has to stay outside the house at all times, from antenna to earth rod.  The ground wire prevents the antenna from issuing lightning leaders that attract a lightning strike. It can still be struck, but it's much less likely without a leader, so they say....

Every 5 years or so I go up to the antenna to tighten the mounting bolts and check the signal and ground connections are good.

I use this yagi type antenna on a Sansui tuner with the antenna pointed directly at 100kW Classical music station that is 25 miles from my house. I can't see the tower, but I looked up the coordinates of the tower online, then found the compass heading from my house on Googlemaps, then aimed the antenna at the tower with a compass. A little anal, but it sounds very good. :)  Well worth all the trouble if you have FM stations that you like, and able to work up on the roof.

xsb7244

« Reply #8 on: 16 Jan 2018, 12:19 am »
delete

Magnus

« Reply #9 on: 16 Jan 2018, 12:50 am »
107.3? Yeah they're a low-power station. Where are you located? I think I read somewhere that their transmitter is in Brentwood, but they only have a 20 mile range, but even beyond probably 10 miles it gets weak. I'm in Tower Grove and can never get the Stereo lamp on my receiver to light with 107.3, but I am able to tune just about any other local station fairly well.

Assuming you've already tried something like this https://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express-FM-Dipole-Antenna/dp/B000M9EREE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1516044184&sr=8-4&keywords=fm+dipole+antenna and aren't having luck, let us know if you come up with another solution that works well and doesn't require a giant radio tower on your roof.

The "millenial" in me wants to say just stream it via their website, but I believe that's compressed to a pretty low bitrate.
Indeed, it is 107.3. I haven’t tried an antenna like the one you linked for that station, but I have used them in the past. Mine looks like this.

Doublej

« Reply #10 on: 16 Jan 2018, 12:54 am »

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #11 on: 16 Jan 2018, 01:17 am »
If you have a space to hide, put in the attic I use something along this design.  I did a DIY but at this price why not.  I am in a flat area and I pull in stations 90+ miles away.  I currently have the unit stuck in the top of a closet.  If I put it is the attic who knows.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Angle-True-360-OmniDirectional-FM-HD-Radio-Outdoor-Dipole-Antenna-FMDP01/282802597003?hash=item41d8592c8b:g:ct0AAOSwVH5aW-eJ

I will also mention that I have yet to find a low cost HD home tuner.

When I was looking into the antenna vs Stream.  Depending on the station any signal they put out is MP3 of low to lower quality.  Some stations do stream HD channels and there are LOTS of these in the Public Broadcast venue.

I would do a test of the station over air and Stream.  And then I adjust my yearly donation

Blu99Zoomer

« Reply #12 on: 18 Jan 2018, 02:14 am »
Here's another cool FM radio related website for you.  If you plug in your location, it will give you a printout, if you wish, that shows local to you stations, their approximate strength, distance as the crow flies from you, and direction.  In other words, where the most stations are located(to get the best bang for your aiming buck).
" http://www.fmfool.com/"  This will help with aiming your new outside, fm antenna, if you decide to go that route.  Where it looks like the op is on relatively flat ground, signals carry a long ways also.  So he shouldn't feel that he is limited to only local stations.  Then maybe we can talk about "skip" later.

Best Regards,

Blu99Zoomer

Blu99Zoomer

« Reply #13 on: 23 Jan 2018, 10:24 pm »
Magnus,

Did you find any more local stations to add to your listening pleasure?

Best,

Blu99Zoomer