A new SE amp from Transcendent Sound

rajacat

• Washington State
Re: A new SE amp from Transcendent Sound
« Reply #20 on: 4 Nov 2007, 03:52 pm »
Have you had your hearing checked recently? 100db+ :o :nono: :lol:

Decibel Exposure Time Guidelines

Accepted standards for recommended permissible exposure time for continuous time weighted average noise, according to NIOSH and CDC, 2002. For every 3 dBs over 85dB, the permissible exposure time before possible damage can occur is cut in half.

Continuous dB
Permissible Exposure Time
85 db
8 hours

88 dB
4 hours

91 db
2 hours

94 db
1 hour

97 db
30 minutes

100 db
15 minutes

103 db
7.5 minutes

106 dB
3.75 min (< 4min)

109 dB
1.875 min (< 2min)

112 dB
.9375 min (~1 min)

115 dB
.46875 min (~30 sec)
« Last Edit: 4 Nov 2007, 05:26 pm by rajacat »

Wind Chaser

« Reply #21 on: 4 Nov 2007, 04:37 pm »
So we... played "Enter Sandman"

Nirvana NEEDS to be played with authority.

Ed,

You are one interesting dude, but man if you don't change your taste in music there's no way we're going to be able to stay in the same old folks home. :shake:

John

Ed Schilling

« Reply #22 on: 4 Nov 2007, 05:51 pm »
Guys,
I am the ONLY person who can hear the oscillator in my TV that is 40 feet away from in my listening room. The fellow yesterday could not. I demonstrated this.
So far my hearing at the extreme HF is very good. The LF is where it's not so hot. Never has been. I wonder if it's not because my head is so small!

I always wear ear muffs in the shop or around ANY loud noises. I have amplified muffs I wear hunting....they shut off and act as hearing protection for sounds above 85 dB.

Live music is LOUD....I wear plugs for that. I do NOT always listen at extreme volumes but when called for like say, a fellow wants to buy speakers and part of his decision is going to be based on the ability to play Nirvana at "live" volumes as well as Joni Mitchell I am happy to be able to oblige. And yes, he does want a pair.

Don't worry guys, my hearing is fine and my confidence is even better.

R.Cat,
After looking at the guidelines you posted the situation is better than it appears.... I seldom if ever exceed the limits you present!

100 dB for 15 minutes!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is a whole album side!

Thanks for the comments.

Wind,
Thanks buddy, but I hope we both stay out of there for a looooong time!

Ed

Ed Schilling

« Reply #23 on: 4 Nov 2007, 06:30 pm »
I got a PM so I think I should say this.....I do NOT believe "my way is the only way". What I DO believe is that a single driver speaker should NOT be "quirky". It should NOT only work with one type amp. It should NOT only sound good with "acoustic music". It should NOT have limited output to the point Metallica is not possible. It should NOT have a bloated or extended bass response at the expense of SPL and clarity.

And I could go on......

Unfortunately the above describes a large percentage of "single driver speakers" that people use. Deep bass response in a single driver speaker is one of the LEAST important things to consider assuming one has access to a GOOD subwoofer. And assuming it is not so anemic as to be unsuitable to listen to alone the single driver speaker with bass augmentation will be a much better solution. The exact same can be said for ANY mini monitor or small speaker.

So, it's not that my way is the only way but rather it is simply one way to avoid the problems I hinted at above.

If none of this matters to a person then that is just fine with me but I thought it important to state...."I am not bashing other speakers". I just do not agree with many of the ways single driver speakers are thought of or built. It is not a slam to state the truth and obvious. When the designer of your speakers says "they can't play Metal" it is not a slam to agree and understand why he said it. And it should NOT be assumed his remarks apply to ALL speakers using one driver. Again, just my opinion based on MY experiences.

Ed

PS.....there is good design advice hidden in the above for those that are "thinking".
« Last Edit: 5 Nov 2007, 12:22 am by Ed Schilling »

jrebman

« Reply #24 on: 19 Nov 2007, 05:00 pm »
The TS newsletter arrived this weekend, and other than some news about a possible delivery in January and a estimated price of $849, there wasn't much info about features and such except that Bruce had to add some negative feedback to tame some hum and noise, and in doing so, the output power is slightly less than 3 watts now.

I'll still be watching to see what folks think once these are out in the world.

-- Jim