Anyone in Central Iowa?

BigSnapDaddy

Anyone in Central Iowa?
« on: 14 Aug 2021, 06:28 am »
I am in living in central Iowa SE of Des Moines. I built a set of speakers in college and loved the process.  I have always appreciated good sound and have been rocking the same set of Home Theater speakers for close to 20 years now.  I am looking to get back into the hobby but I am debating if I want to replace my subwoofer or speakers first?  My wife runs an inhome daycare so little hands will always be near or possible for items I have. :)  As such screens or down-firing subs are preferred.  The kids are really good, but they are kids so high end or delicate and my lifestyle don't coexist for my own sanity. 

iowa

• Brennan B2>TDAI 1120>Sierra 1> T-Zero(2)
Re: Anyone in Central Iowa?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Aug 2021, 06:08 pm »
Hi @BigSnapDaddy,
I'm just NW of DSM. Don't know that I can help with the sub/speaker question, but wanted to welcome you.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 23 Aug 2021, 06:36 pm »
I'd say look at the GR Research Studio Monitor - it has a planar magnetic tweeter that has a lot of protection against little fingers.  Most other tweeters are domes and kids seem to love to press them in.

audiofound

« Reply #3 on: 31 Aug 2021, 12:55 am »
I'm afraid I don't have the knowledge to give you an informed recommendation. Just wanted to welcome you to the forum. I live in southeast Iowa near Ottumwa.

BigSnapDaddy

« Reply #4 on: 13 Sep 2021, 03:28 am »
I'd say look at the GR Research Studio Monitor - it has a planar magnetic tweeter that has a lot of protection against little fingers.  Most other tweeters are domes and kids seem to love to press them in.

Aren't the planar speaker and ribbon speakers the same thing like the old martin logan's I used to drool over in high school?  I feel like one misplaced crayon and the tweeter is worthless. 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 13 Sep 2021, 06:43 pm »
Aren't the planar speaker and ribbon speakers the same thing like the old martin logan's I used to drool over in high school?  I feel like one misplaced crayon and the tweeter is worthless. 

No, these are different.  Much tougher.  You can basically drive over them with a car and they'd be fine.

p194

« Reply #6 on: 18 Sep 2021, 05:34 pm »
What's up Big Snap. I live just south of DM. Happened so see your post when browsing the forum. I'm newish to the hobby but currently trying to rebuild the crossover on my Wharfedale Linton speakers. So, research.