Oh boy, this is a long list of questions

PaulHilgeman

Oh boy, this is a long list of questions
« on: 20 Oct 2006, 07:52 pm »
I have long been in search of the ultimate preamplifier.  I have have options that are close, but I think that the TAP looks nearly perfect, but I want to clear a few things up first.

1)  Is the operation of the TAP and the TAP-X the same, especially with regard to the remote control or a very basic version of the TAP-X using the TRIK as a front end?  I.E. Will all input switching work the same, balance control, phase switching, HT Bypass set-up, all work the same regardless of the configuration

2)  Does the unit have an 'off' or Standby function?  Is it selectable discreetly from the remote? 

3)  If the unit is in Standby, will pressing an input button on the remote take it out of standby and go to that input?

4)  Is there a way to set the balance control back to 'balanced' quickly?

5)  Why the dual-dual output conntectors, dual RCA, and Dual XLR?  How are they connected together?  Is it possible to drive two pairs of XLR cables that are 20 feet long?

6)  How does the TRIK indicate balance control, and input selection?

7)  How firmly mounted is the acrylic ball mounted to the TRIK, it seems like it might get 'golfed' off easily.

8)  Possible to hear before buying.  I have only heard one other TVC based preamp (might have been an autoformer based preamp) that had a bit of gain, and had a few qualms with it.

Any more and better picture than what are on the website?  Higher resolution, and more standard environments?

Thanks,
Looks like an outstanding product. 

-Paul Hilgeman

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
Re: Oh boy, this is a long list of questions
« Reply #1 on: 20 Oct 2006, 09:13 pm »
Hello!

Thansk for the post. Bunch of good questions! We covered some of these on the phone but for others following I'll do my best to answer them below - please let me know how I did.......

>>>1)  Is the operation of the TAP and the TAP-X the same, especially with regard to the remote control or a very basic version of >>>the TAP-X using the TRIK as a front end?  I.E. Will all input switching work the same, balance control, phase switching, HT >>>Bypass set-up, all work the same regardless of the configuration

Two questions here really:

1a- The TAP and TAP-X (for 'eXperimenter') use exactly the same parts and have all the same features. Only difference is that the TAP-X is a much bigger chassis designed for adding other diy projects (like a dac or phono stage) inside. The TAP-X is a kit - but since each module is pretty much done there is not too much work to finish one off.

1b- The TRIK runs all the same functions as the front panel board inside a TAP or TAP-X unit. It is basically a front panel unit in a fun chassis with different displays.

>>>2)  Does the unit have an 'off' or Standby function?  Is it selectable discreetly from the remote? 

The unit stays on all the time but you can turn off the display. There is a toggle on the back that sets the display mode on power up and then you can toggle the mode from the front panel or from the 'power' button on the remote. The unit does go to sleep inside (no clocks, etc) after a command is executed.

>>>3)  If the unit is in Standby, will pressing an input button on the remote take it out of standby and go to that input?

As above it is always on. The display will return on a button press. Any button press on the remote or on the front panel brings the display on and then it will return to dark a short time after the command is finished if the display mode is set to 'dark'.

>>>4)  Is there a way to set the balance control back to 'balanced' quickly?

Yes - Lets say the ballance is set over to the left. Holding down the ballance right button will return to center and then stop. To get it to keep going right you just release and then press again. This makes it easy to return the ballance to the middle. Quite happy with the way that turned out actually!

>>>>5)  Why the dual-dual output conntectors, dual RCA, and Dual XLR?  How are they connected together?  Is it possible to drive two pairs of XLR cables that are 20 feet long?

We spoke about your source on the phone and I'd expect you'd have no problem. For cables that long I would want to check the sources to look out for very high output impedances. The TVC is a great helper (much better than a traditional passive - where you'd not have a hope with 20' cables....) as you turn the level down but if you often run at the top few volume settings or into gain mode with really long cables it will put some demands on the source  so it is good to check.

>>>>6)  How does the TRIK indicate balance control, and input selection?

Leds behind the frosted rod accross the front light up to indicate:

Ballance right or left  - 2 leds - one each side of the 'ball'. Green = a little ballance then orange and red as the ballance shifts further.)
Tape - blue led
Source - which of the 6 sources are selected (green = normal, orange = phase invert, red = bypass)
Mute. - blue led

>>>>7)  How firmly mounted is the acrylic ball mounted to the TRIK, it seems like it might get 'golfed' off easily.

You could definitely golf it off if you wanted. The trik is a bit of a brik - quite solid and heavy so it is nice and stable. The ball should not fly off in 'normal' use......

>>>>  Possible to hear before buying.

If it does not work out for you we'd insist on taking it back.

>>>>Any more and better picture than what are on the website?  Higher resolution, and more standard environments?

I will get more photo's over time. I have a tough time getting decent photo's - lets just say it is a good thing I did not become a photographer.....

Hope I caught most the questions!

Thansk!

John

PaulHilgeman

« Reply #2 on: 20 Oct 2006, 10:10 pm »
I also couldnt find the size of the unit on the website.  There is a ton of info on your site so I might have missed it.

-Paul

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 20 Oct 2006, 11:09 pm »
Hello!

No - it was me who missed it.... I have few items to add on the site - unit sizes among them.

TAP is 17"W x 10"D x 3"H (including the base - which is really part of the case)

TRIK 17"W x 5"D x 1.7"H (2.5"H including the frosted ball).

Thanks!

John