Hobbs NX-Studio Build

wgraft5

• Wayne in Oregon
Re: Hobbs NX-Studio Build
« Reply #240 on: 19 Aug 2021, 03:09 am »
@Hobbsmeerkat, I have Sonicaps upgrade in my Mini's, would a copper bypass work to get a more warm/rich tone?

Speaker Challenged

« Reply #241 on: 19 Aug 2021, 04:07 am »
I guess everything is bigger in Texas... :green:

:thumb: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Speaker Challenged

« Reply #242 on: 19 Aug 2021, 04:30 am »
To some extent? But it's actually been a learning experience more than anything. Getting to play with high end hardware, amps, DACs, cables etc. is fun, but it helps me understand the things Danny, Ron and others talk about beyond just a conceptual level. I can see how changing cables on a DAC alone can help/hurt, how tubes affect the sound/tone. Differences between OB/sealed/horn speakers.
There are times when Danny is testing a speaker and I'm starting to pick out when a tweeter or woofer sounds odd.

And all that knowledge helps me relay that information back to customers based on my experience.

I've also had these parts set aside for probably close to 5-6 weeks now waiting for Danny to tally up my total since I was piece-mealing it together rather than just getting a standard kit, so there's quite a few other kits that got foil inductors long before I did. lol

That said I did also get one of the early samples of the new 10W chip amps, just need to get a battery and charger to power it. We've had one of them playing in-house for a few days now and it honestly sounds fantastic, incredibly clean and detailed with excellent bass control. It's one of the few things Danny has said are one of the best sounding devices, esp for "right out of the box." I'll be pairing it with My Studios for sure.

Not quite sure on the release date for those yet, but I believe we just gave to go ahead for making the remaining models.. should be about 25-30 units available once we're ready to release them.

The bypass cap is intended to act like a siphon, allowing the larger cap to discharge much faster. By design, most copper caps are fairly slow to discharge due to the limitations of the materials, and without a bypass, it will tend to smear the details. And keeping the brands/type the same allows them to keep their tonal quality while also increasing the speed of the cap.

Sonicaps are really fast discharging caps, but adding a copper bypass imparts the tonality of a copper cap, leading to a more warm/rich tone.

The real drawback tho, is the amount of burn-in they require, often 400+ hrs before they settle into their final sound. When they're not ready, they often sound really hard, if not harsh.. Most of the dramatic changes will occur within the first week, with them slowly opening up and relaxing the remaining time.

According to some, as you feed them higher quality music or give them a cleaner signal from a bette qualityr front-end, the more they will continue to open up.

As for your bypass caps, yes. Both the base model and upgraded model have bypass caps included in that circuit, as it still helps them to discharge faster than they would on their own, esp once you start getting into those really large values. On smaller values like say 1-7uF its not going to be as necessary, unless there is a tonality you want them to have ontop of their speed.
Hi Hobbs,
Hard work, Learning alot and having fun. Sounds like the dream job for an audiophile. I have learnt a lot from your posts and this was a ripper. When do we get to see your video's too! Danny is not making enough being so busy. Glad to see your NX studio is coming together.
Take care
SC

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #243 on: 19 Aug 2021, 05:17 am »
@Hobbsmeerkat, I have Sonicaps upgrade in my Mini's, would a copper bypass work to get a more warm/rich tone?

Theoretically, but I don't think it's really a practical upgrade for the Mini, esp since they're $20 a piece. The Mini is also a more entry level speaker, and I'm not sure if there will be much benefit, esp if you have the Erse cap with sonicap bypass. If you have the full $50 sonicap upgrade and tube connectors, then I would probably consider it.
Much like we dont offer them as upgrades for any other speakers, unless specifically asked for, which to my knowledge, has only happened once, namely with a Sony SS-CS5 a week or so ago.

That said, it would make you the only person with such a kit, just be ready for a 2-ish weeks straight worth of burn-in. :P
They'll definitely be a bit harsh until they finally start to relax a bit.

Hi Hobbs,
Hard work, Learning alot and having fun. Sounds like the dream job for an audiophile. I have learnt a lot from your posts and this was a ripper. When do we get to see your video's too! Danny is not making enough being so busy. Glad to see your NX studio is coming together.
Take care
SC

For sure! It's actually nice not having to spend a ton of money to get the hands-on and practical experience, to better understand what is it i'm doing, and how I can apply that information, and explain it as best I can.

I don't really wanna be in videos... :lol:
I would be okay doing a stream with Ron & Danny maybe?
I'm better suited to a more text-based format, where I have time to formulate my thoughts.. Plus I don't like hearing my own voice.

He actually shot several this past week. And after dinner tonight, he was gunna work on finishing the X-Bravo videos as well as something for some Paradigm & Wharfdale towers I believe.

wgraft5

• Wayne in Oregon
« Reply #244 on: 19 Aug 2021, 04:39 pm »
@Hobbsmeerkat, You do have the dream job.

I do have the $50 upgrade. I dont have the tube connectors yet, I'm going straight from crossover to the amp output connectors. And I will go for the speaker wire kit down the road also. Now that I have the DAC in the system I can hear stuff i haven't been hearing. Every day the system seems to sound better. The bass seems a lot more full now. I don't mind the cost, I just want the best I can get because this is going to be my main system for several months or years. I do have an upgrade path so I will improving the system as time goes on.

Anyway thank you and good luck on your project.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #245 on: 20 Aug 2021, 12:49 am »

I do have the $50 upgrade. I dont have the tube connectors yet, I'm going straight from crossover to the amp output connectors. And I will go for the speaker wire kit down the road also. Now that I have the DAC in the system I can hear stuff i haven't been hearing. Every day the system seems to sound better. The bass seems a lot more full now. I don't mind the cost, I just want the best I can get because this is going to be my main system for several months or years. I do have an upgrade path so I will improving the system as time goes on.

Anyway thank you and good luck on your project.

Yeah, then I would say it's probably worth the leap as your system grows!

Thanks! I actually just finished printing my crossover boards today and assembled both of them!  :thumb:

They weigh a little over 7lbs each...

Sadly tho, I snapped one of the leads of my Path Resistors when the main inductor tipped over... :duh: So I gotta wait for a replacement...

At least in the meantime I can start planning out the boxes to put them in.. :thumb:

EdwardT

« Reply #246 on: 20 Aug 2021, 05:30 pm »

And I will go for the speaker wire kit down the road also.

I built the GR 16 wire speaker cable this spring and it was like lifting a veil from the speakers. It just makes everything better.

RonP

« Reply #247 on: 21 Aug 2021, 02:44 am »
They weigh a little over 7lbs each...

dude.. you know how to fit right in here in Texas! :icon_lol:

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #248 on: 15 Sep 2021, 01:13 am »
Small update!

First external crossover board is complete!  :thumb:

NoahH

« Reply #249 on: 15 Sep 2021, 08:16 am »
That is a thing of beauty!

Coming in to the copper cap conversation late, do you know if the current level affects the burn in time? I am wondering if I need it really cranked for 2 weeks or if I can just put on something softer.

mkrawcz

« Reply #250 on: 15 Sep 2021, 09:34 am »
That is a thing of beauty!

Coming in to the copper cap conversation late, do you know if the current level affects the burn in time? I am wondering if I need it really cranked for 2 weeks or if I can just put on something softer.
Not really, it just needs a signal going through them. I usually keep the speakers running all day on the weekends at a low level for a few weeks. Copper caps don’t start opening up until well past 100hrs. The initial break in of the speaker will require a moderate volume level though for the first 50hrs to get the drivers relaxed.

Norman Tracy

« Reply #251 on: 15 Sep 2021, 03:27 pm »
Hobbsmeerkat that is very well done. BTW when I posted the other over the top crossovers on this thread's previous page it was not apparent just how big those coils &  caps are. Awhile later Danny held them up in a GR YouTube video and I had a  :cyclops: moment, followed by  :drool:.  I suggest for the next picture show this bad boy next to something like a woofer or the NX-Studio it will serve to better show the scale.

BGA

« Reply #252 on: 15 Sep 2021, 06:51 pm »
Hobbs, I got my Path Audio resisters you recommended yesterday and I thought they were beefy... then I saw that cap.... now that is what I call beefy. lol.

wgraft5

• Wayne in Oregon
« Reply #253 on: 16 Sep 2021, 10:11 pm »
Hobbs that is still the 800lb gorilla of a crossover. And I like the way it looks and would want to showcase it to be seen.

Jmitchell3

« Reply #254 on: 16 Sep 2021, 10:53 pm »
Small update!

First external crossover board is complete!  :thumb:

Looks like a BIG update to me lol

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #255 on: 16 Sep 2021, 11:49 pm »
Hobbs that is still the 800lb gorilla of a crossover. And I like the way it looks and would want to showcase it to be seen.

I was originally gunna build boxes for them, but I scrapped that idea and went with this instead. My wiring/soldering skills aren't the best, but I'm happy with them, considering

I just finished the 2nd one last night to boot!

Hobbsmeerkat that is very well done. BTW when I posted the other over the top crossovers on this thread's previous page it was not apparent just how big those coils &  caps are. Awhile later Danny held them up in a GR YouTube video and I had a  :cyclops: moment, followed by  :drool:.  I suggest for the next picture show this bad boy next to something like a woofer or the NX-Studio it will serve to better show the scale.

I knew they were going to be big, but I didn't expect soup can size caps. I would recommend anyone else go with the 250V KPCU03 versions since they're about 1/2 the size of these monsters.. lol

I think they weigh about 8.8lbs now.. or a gallon of milk/water.

Sure, here ya go!

Next is to finish up the changes to the cabinet.
Namely, drilling another set of holes for the tube connectors, holes for the tweeter wire, and a few more clear coats and lots of wet sanding.
Then finally installing No Rez, wires and the drivers.

Getting close! :green:

Vince in TX

« Reply #256 on: 17 Sep 2021, 04:28 pm »
Those look amazing!    :thumb:

DannyBadorine

« Reply #257 on: 17 Sep 2021, 08:54 pm »
Those look amazing!!!!!!! 

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

« Reply #258 on: 18 Sep 2021, 12:44 am »
I was originally gunna build boxes for them, but I scrapped that idea and went with this instead. My wiring/soldering skills aren't the best, but I'm happy with them, considering

I just finished the 2nd one last night to boot!

I knew they were going to be big, but I didn't expect soup can size caps. I would recommend anyone else go with the 250V KPCU03 versions since they're about 1/2 the size of these monsters.. lol

I think they weigh about 8.8lbs now.. or a gallon of milk/water.

Sure, here ya go!

Next is to finish up the changes to the cabinet.
Namely, drilling another set of holes for the tube connectors, holes for the tweeter wire, and a few more clear coats and lots of wet sanding.
Then finally installing No Rez, wires and the drivers.

Getting close! :green:

Where can I buy some Liter size Soda Caps?  :lol:   All jokes aside, your project is coming along nicely.  Just let me know, when you want me to build you a awning for those puppies, to keep them safe from the elements!

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #259 on: 23 Sep 2021, 03:25 am »
They're 99% finished!  :D

I just need to paint the screws for the woofers, and make some cables to connect them to the external crossovers. (on floor)

It's been a long journey and a learning process for sure!

But I'm excited to finally be getting these babies finished!  :thumb: