Altmann Attraction DAC Review

denjo

Re: Altmann Attraction DAC Review
« Reply #20 on: 29 May 2007, 12:50 am »
Gordy
Thanks for a great review! Although I am already "married" to the Altmann Attraction DAC, its nevertheless interesting to read reviews such as yours. I think you hit the nail on the head when you commented about the organic quality and beguiling midrange of the Altmann. Those are exactly my feelings too!

Best Regards
Dennis

Hogg

« Reply #21 on: 29 May 2007, 02:25 am »
Gordy,

Excellent review.  I really enjoyed reading about the comaprisons you made.  Your writing ability is excellent.

Jim

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #22 on: 29 May 2007, 03:32 am »
Nice review, Gordy!

I am moved once again to wonder how much of the sound quality of the Altman is a direct result of the lack of metal casework. I would like to hear the other DACs nailed to pine boards, too!

Yves Bernard Andre, the designer of YBA amplifiers, told me and a friend 14 years ago (as retailers of his product) that his amps sounded better with the tops off and even better with all casework gone - the only reason he had metal casework was the market demanded it and he felt he would go out of business if he went that far!

Denis Moorecroft (DNM) is about the only other manufacturer that comes to mind who consciously avoids metal casework.

I think the subject needs re-examining.

nature boy

« Reply #23 on: 29 May 2007, 01:07 pm »
Gordy,

Nice review, thanks for sharing your listening observations.  The Altmann DAC is clearly something special, although its minimalist construction and relatively high costs may put some folks off.  This DAC is very easy on the ears and sounded exceptionally good coupled with the Oppo 970HD player as a transport.

I appreciated your bringing it by for a listen in my system, even if it did take a few minutes to realize you can't any sound from the Altmann/Oppo combination if you have the preamp powered down. :duh:

Mike, thank you for your very gracious gift to fellow Circle members with the Altmann tour.  It will be fondly remembered.

NB

miklorsmith

« Reply #24 on: 29 May 2007, 02:13 pm »
Nice review!  It's turned out really how I'd hoped.

Thanks much!

Mike

RoadTripper

« Reply #25 on: 29 May 2007, 02:48 pm »
Did I miss a review by the Zu guys?

miklorsmith

« Reply #26 on: 29 May 2007, 02:50 pm »
They haven't written one yet, though Sean did tell me he loved the DAC and was planning to write something up.  From what I hear, they're pretty busy.    :D

Adamay

« Reply #27 on: 29 May 2007, 05:41 pm »
Great review; fits my experience to a T.  I would just note that careful attention to vibration isolation provides a noticeable improvement on the dimensions of detail, transient attack, decay, and bass punch.  My Altmann sits on sorbothane footers on a sandbox, which is on a decent DIY rack.  I had a message on this on the digital board on the Audio Asylum.

Gordy

« Reply #28 on: 29 May 2007, 09:29 pm »
Thanks all!  I need to edit my feedback as I saved my favorite dac / comparison (the ECD-1) for last and then forgot to include it  :oops:  :duh: 

I am moved once again to wonder how much of the sound quality of the Altman is a direct result of the lack of metal casework. I would like to hear the other DACs nailed to pine boards, too!

I think the subject needs re-examining.

About 2 years ago Steve Nugent, while describing his lastest revision of his P3a mod, said it made an improvement not unlike removing the P3a from it's chassis and running it nude... only better. I never did get around to trying it, guess it's time! 

pardales

« Reply #29 on: 30 May 2007, 02:10 am »
Very nice review, Gordy.

If you have the patience to walk through the arguments presented at the Altmann site, the logic is quite compelling and it is an interesting read. I was on my way down in the price-per-component ratio of my stereo when I ran into the Altmann gear, so was not put off by the price as it was considerably less expensive than what I had. I bought both the fully loaded Attraction DAC and the BYOB amp for 2K Euros about one year ago. Only after I had them both for several months did I realize what bargain I had struck.

To me, if it sounds better without the casework, then the casework must go. Some think it looks spartan, minimalist, cheap, rinky-dink -- but no one who has listened to the Attraction DAC has used those sorts of words to describe the sound. The money is well spent on the R&D  and design work that went into making the wonderful music these components produce -- seems like the right place for the money to be spent. If presented right, I think the Altmann gear looks quite elegant. Yeah, I'm a believer......but not without reason.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: 30 May 2007, 10:07 am by pardales »

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #30 on: 30 May 2007, 03:19 am »
Thanks all!  I need to edit my feedback as I saved my favorite dac / comparison (the ECD-1) for last and then forgot to include it  :oops:  :duh: 
So....what did you think ? :scratch:

BobM

« Reply #31 on: 31 May 2007, 05:21 pm »
Is the Altmann review tour still going on? How do I sign up to try it out?

Bob

miklorsmith

« Reply #32 on: 31 May 2007, 05:25 pm »
Nope, it's closed.  As it is it will be away from home 6 months and I really want it back.

BobM

« Reply #33 on: 31 May 2007, 06:20 pm »
Did anyone in the NY Rave purchase one? Perhaps I could organize a mini-rave at my place and you could bring it over?

Thanks,
Bob

lonewolfny42

« Reply #34 on: 4 Jun 2007, 07:32 am »
Did anyone in the NY Rave purchase one? Perhaps I could organize a mini-rave at my place and you could bring it over?

Thanks,
Bob
It's on my future buy list Bob.... :rock:

The Altmann Attraction DAC.....

First impression....hey, where's the beef ?  :scratch:
Last time I saw a board like that, it had a six foot Roast Beef Hero on it....very tasty.... :thankyou: :lol:
It is small in size....electronic's on a wood board....but after hearing what it does...I was impressed. 8)

The system :

AKSA Lifeforce Amp (SS)
Modwright SWL 9.0 Preamp
Sony 7700 DVD transport- Turbomods by Empirical Audio (2004)
Mirage M-3 speakers
Reality Cables IC's and SC's
Acoustic Zen Silver Bite digital
Black Sand power cords

Other amps used :

Butler 2250 (hybrid)
Red Wine Audio Sig. 30 (digital)
KR Audio ANTARES VA320 (tube)

Other DAC's :

Paradisea DAC
Electrocompaniet ECD-1 - Turbomods by Empirical Audio (2004)

Let's see.....I first heard the Altmann at Occam's Rave, which Gordy had mentioned in his review. Sounded good compared to the other DAC's there. I was a little afraid of this DAC...battery, wires...no case...but it worked out fine...no problems.

Here in my system, I think it sounded even better. As noted by the other reviewers, this DAC does a fine presentation of the music fed to it. A very full sound, strong, not edgy. It seems to pull out all the "bits" on any Cd....and in the right way. It digs deep.....detail was very good....bass excellent- no bloat, a strong foundation for the music. Mids were smooth, as were the highs....a very relaxed sound....but detailed. I played the NY Audio Rave Cd....heard a few things that I hadn't heard before....and I've heard that Cd 100's of times... :o
Balanced....liquid....tone....wide soundstage....open....many long nights of listening...all very enjoyable. :wink:

As mentioned above, I had to try a few other amps in the system....wanted to cover "all the base's". Worked great with them all, SS - Tube - Digital....matter of fact, one night with the KR Audio tube amp, I started pulling out those few lousy sounding Rock cd's I own (I think everyone has a few of those)....just to see if I could get a better sound. They sounded much better....so good...I never got to sleep that nite.... :?

I did compare DAC's.....

The Paradisea....stock....with a Bendix 396 tube. Good DAC...smooth....but does not match the detail or the soundstage of the Altmann. There was a big difference.

The Electrocompaniet ECD-1 - Turbomods by Empirical Audio (2004)....a very good DAC...and my main one since 2004. An interesting comparison...detail very similar, but it did sound leaner than the Altmann....and the Altmann bass was fuller. To me the mids and highs were close....but the presentation of the music was better with the Altmann. The ECD-1 is over 3 years old...and digital has advanced since then. I'm still happy with the ECD-1, but I see an Altmann down the road.

As for the cap that mgalusha installed on the power connection....I preferred it on. As for the JISCO function....didn't seem to hear a difference....but my 7700 is a pretty good transport.

All in all....I liked it !! :dance:
And as I stated to BobM above....its on my future buy list....I don't find it expensive for what it does...just have to get past the look. :lol:

All apply....IMO as well.... :thumb:

You can be focused to the music.....
Much better than the NOS average with appropriate sharpness and detail retrieval....
Shimmering decays.....
What I heard was wetness....like going from grape juice to wine....
A growling drive....
TONE....balanced sound....
VERY VERY quiet....vocals were richer and the bass was fuller....
Tonally I found the Altmann to be very good, in particular vocals and stringed instruments sounded very good, very rich and full.....
I very much enjoyed my time with it and had no desire to remove it from the system......
I was pretty stunned by the vivid presentation and electric delivery of the Altmann.....
I found it to be a very smooth and natural sounding unit that I sat down and just listened to and cared not to begin dissecting things.....
The sound stage was also deeper and a bit wider, with better separation of individual instruments on large orchestral pieces of music.....
But, and here's the interesting thing, the badly-recorded cds almost never sound, well, _really_ bad in the way they do with many other digital front ends....
You can be focused to the music.....
What really struck me was how much more organic sounding the music was, this thing is a tone monster....
Strong bass, rich midrange, natural sounding top end and a fast, fast attack / leading edge....

Lots of excellent comments guys...and I agree.... :beer:

A big THANK YOU to Mike Smith for running this Altmann tour on Audio Circle....and a word of advice. I think when your Altmann returns, it will sound better in your system. I don't think it was a good match with the TACT....but your system has changed now, and I think for the better....thats my opinion. :thumb:
Plus....we all broke it in further for you..... :jester:

Thanks again............

Chris

Guess I should mention....since it had "BYOB" printed on the circuit board...I chose Beck's...its German.... :beer:
« Last Edit: 4 Jun 2007, 08:13 am by lonewolfny42 »

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #35 on: 4 Jun 2007, 08:14 am »
Hi Chris!

That was the longest post I've seen from you. Those two fingers must be tired, or you must be starting to use more than two :thumb:

At this rate, if you used open baffle speakers (like the Visaton "No Box") and a BYOB amp, you could have a nearly boxless system.

I have yet to see a negative word about the sound of the Attraction DAC. If I didn't need phase reversing capability, I'd be thinking of this rather than the Lavry for my studio DAC.

Maybe if I gutted the Lavry and mounted it on a pine slab ... aa

/Russell

P.S. Beck's is one of my favorite beers.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #36 on: 4 Jun 2007, 08:22 am »
Still using the same old two fingers Russell....their just moving a little faster. I'm learning where the letters are on the keyboard... :lol:

At this rate, if you used open baffle speakers (like the Visaton "No Box") and a BYOB amp, you could have a nearly boxless system.
Your right.
I think because the Altmann is without a case, and the connections are right on that circuit board, it may add to the excellent sound....but I'm no wiz at electronics... :?

The Altmann is very good....the comments are "on the level". :thumb:

Thanks......

Chris

Gordy

« Reply #37 on: 4 Jun 2007, 10:03 am »
Bravo Chris!  Very well done.   :thumb:   I was more than a little hesitant about commenting on the ECD-1 vs. the Altmann after only having heard the ECD for maybe an hour or so and on an 'unknown' system at that.  It was a relief to see my snapshot opinion get backed up by by your longer term impressions as well! 

BobM

« Reply #38 on: 4 Jun 2007, 01:13 pm »
Chris - that sounds really encouraging, especially in a direct comparison against the EA modded ECD-1. Perhaps you can come over after you pick one up and have it broken in. Actually, you're more than welcome to come over any time anyway. Same goes for anyone else - just let me know that you're interested.

BTW - does anyone know what DAC chip it uses? Are there any other NOS DAC's out there using the same chip? If "yes" then what makes the Altmann so much better - obviously the implementation, but is it really the proprietary clock or something else?

Enjoy,
Bob

texendo

« Reply #39 on: 4 Jun 2007, 01:48 pm »
The DAC uses the almost ubiquitous TDA1543... been around for years.  Altmann just knows what he's doing with it ; )