Measurement microphones???

Christof

Measurement microphones???
« on: 17 Apr 2007, 12:10 pm »
I am trying to decide what would be a good measurement microphone & preamp to use with Fuzzmeasure Pro 2.  I suppose the software I am using is neither here nor there so can anyone recommend a budget mic/preamp that will produce good results for measuring my room?  The creator of the Fuzzmeasure Software recommends Earthworks 30 mic but those or too much $ for me.  I just want to measure peaks and nulls, modes, etc....  I'm not designing speakers.

Thanks
Chris

JohnR

Re: Measurement microphones???
« Reply #1 on: 17 Apr 2007, 12:38 pm »
Hi, the Behringer mic (DCM8000? something like that) is (or was) considered pretty reasonable.

When I last looked (couple of years ago) there was basically nothing between the Behringer and the M30 in terms of cost. Could have changed since...

Christof

« Reply #2 on: 17 Apr 2007, 12:41 pm »
This is what I was thinking but I thought I'd ask anyway.  I am curious to know if it is important to have the Mic (Beringer) calibrated before using it for room measurements? If so who provides this service?

TomS

« Reply #3 on: 17 Apr 2007, 01:29 pm »
I would think for the purposes of most casual measurements, especially if conducted as baselines vs. changes, Boehringer calibration wouldn't be necessary.  There is a guy on AV Shack that does it as a service, but they don't really recommend it except for designers using it in very controlled conditions at full frequency range as opposed to just up to 200hz or so.  Rick would certainly know for sure.  I use the basic Radio Shack SPL meter with Room EQ Wizard for bass range only and it's quite adequate for coarse room tuning and positioning of subs.

brj

« Reply #4 on: 17 Apr 2007, 03:02 pm »
The Nady CM-100 appears to be an identical clone of the ECM8800.  If you want to take the next step, you could have it (or any mic) calibrated.

I know I asked similar questions on this board in the past, and posted the contact point for the person I had calibrate my Nady... when I have more time later, I'll see if I can dig it up, but if you get impatient before then, a search in the acoustics circle should find it.

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
« Reply #5 on: 17 Apr 2007, 03:15 pm »
Chris,

> I just want to measure peaks and nulls, modes, etc....  I'm not designing speakers. <

In that case even a lowly Radio Shack SPL meter will do a fine job. I once measured my RS meter and it was within 1 dB of my expensive calibrated AKG microphone below 800 Hz. The more expensive "tiny diaphragm" microphones are needed mostly for accuracy at high frequencies. For bass peaks and nulls the RS meter is fine.

--Ethan

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #6 on: 17 Apr 2007, 04:37 pm »
I just picked up the Behringer mic and an inexpensive ART mic preamp w/ phantom power (necessary for the Behringer).  Total cost was under $100 from musiciansfriend.com.  Works very well for room measurements when plugged into my laptop.  I can now do full frequency measurements with Room EQ Wizard and TrueRTA.  I also use the setup for home video editing voiceovers.

Russ