Anyone think that room treatments seemingly make bass less impactful?

ctviggen

I have two mondo realtraps in the front corners, two other traps (no longer sold by RT) in the rear corners, two first reflection point mini traps, two micro traps to put between my speakers, a minitrap on the ceiling, and two ASC subtraps on which two VMPS Largers reside.  Right now, I only have one amp, so only a single Larger works, and I also have an SVS sub on the opposite end of the room.  When I first got my SVS, it was my only sub in a room that was even larger than the room I'm in now.  I remember the bass being incredibly impactful (though I did have to decouple the SVS from the floor somewhat to reduce the vibrations).  That was on the first floor, wood floors, above a basement, with no traps whatsoever.  Now, I'm in the basement with all of these traps, and I somehow can't quite capture the same awestruck feeling I had in the other house, even with two subs going in a smaller room. 

For instance, last night I was setting up the system (a raritly, these days), and I turned off the SVS sub and used Avia to adjust the front VMPS sub; I then turned off the VMPS sub, turned on the SVS sub, and adjusted the SVS sub; I then turned on both subs, although I ceased performing adjustments.

Regardless of what configuration I have the subs in (one or two subs), when I play movies, I just can't quite get the "wow" of the first room.  I think what's happening is that the bass is now much, mush less "boomy" and much more "tight", and I'm expecting to have the over-the-top bass peaks and mushy bass I had before.  I liken it to when I had my TV calibrated -- when the TV properly displayed 6500k and the correct colors, it took me a while to like this.  I was used to sunburnt faces and bright reds. 

Anyway, has anyone else had this same experience with bass traps?

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
IMO it's not the traps.  There are a couple things going on.

- Harder, more solid room is not providing any 'feel' nor any absorbtion of deep bass like a drywall insulated wall will.
- 2 subs calibrated separately but not together can actually be worse than just 1 sub correctly phased and tied do the mains.
- Smaller rooms require proportionately MORE absorbtion

Proper bass absorbtion will proved perceptually deeper, tighter, MORE impactful bass.  I'm not seeing anything in your room in the way of meaningful broadband bass absorbtion - unless you have the sub(s) sitting in corners and then the ASC's will be giving you a little bit in the tri-corners.

My strong suspicion is that you have 3 sources of bass in 4 different places (2 subs + mains) that are fighting each other.  Having multiple subs requires a LOT of effort to get everything tuned just right in terms of frequency balance, phase to the mains AND phase to each other.  So, now we have cancellations from both phase/xover added to a hard underdamped room that's giving a very ragged FR. 

As an experiment, remove all the treatments from the room and see what the results are.

Bryan

John Casler

That was on the first floor, wood floors, above a basement, with no traps whatsoever.  Now, I'm in the basement with all of these traps, and I somehow can't quite capture the same awestruck feeling I had in the other house, even with two subs going in a smaller room.

Therein lies the difference.

That physical impact you are missing has to do with the bass vibrations actually moving the floor.

So I would agree with Bryan that the first and likely largest difference is in the physical construction of the floor.  The concrete floor has little to no movement.  A wooden second floor (since this was over a basement is is the same thing as a second or supended floor) is one of the best "bass rides" going.

That is not to rule out that your new room dimensions and sub placement may not be as good at propagating and sustaining the most effective bass at your listening position, as a secondary element.

hi5harry

I agree. I installed the Mondo traps and several mini and micro traps around the room. When I first set these up I was sure I was losing some bass and some attack from my speakers. Just last night I tried removing some other things in the room that were helping the room BEFORE I got the Mondotraps. Now my room has the best bass it has ever had and the treble attack has come back along with a very deep soundstage I didn't have before. I am now adding back some of the little things piece by piece to get the desired affect.

Lkdog

I have my system setup in a basement with concrete floors covered by padded carpet and walls with typical wood paneling. Your basic average midwest basement in a 60 year old house.

System is below-I have dual subs in left and right corners.
I have major bass trapping in front corners and also in rear corners.

Bass is huge, impactful, clean, and warm.

I have to agree that adding bass traps actually cleans up the bass and also mids as it reduces cancellations.
It actually increased the overall bass impact for me.

Honestly- I am of the developing opinion that you can't have too much bass trapping. (Go over to Rives forum on AA and read a bit which helped me).

I made some DIY traps:
1) Bought (12) commonly found cellulose blocks from hardware store (block cubes that you see wrapped in plastic). They weigh about 20-30lbs apiece. They cost 5-6$ each.
2) I bought some basic cardboard boxes to place them in that they fit in nicely and sealed the box.
3) Got some burlap to wrap them in to make them look decent. Stapled burlap to the box with heavy staples.
4) Stacked them three high in corners on top of milk crates. They almost reach top of my 7.75' ft ceiling.

They work great. Total cost was probably $75-80 and it is major bass absorption that works at least in my setup.

Keep at it-as was said it is a lot of trial and error and moving subs around and setting gain levels, etc.

My room is 18X25X7.75 feet and system is placed along short front wall firing longways.

« Last Edit: 14 Apr 2007, 03:30 pm by Lkdog »

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Bob,

> When I first got my SVS ... I remember the bass being incredibly impactful <

Unless I missed it, I didn't see you say where the subs are located. I have my SVS in the front left corner, and it ain't never moving from there! IMO corner placement is key for huge bass, but that requires bass traps (which you have) to avoid being overwhelming and boomy.

--Ethan