Omega and 20 wpc Tripath digital amp

Dmason

« on: 22 Feb 2004, 02:47 am »
I have become pretty much a convert to the sound of Tripath chip amps. WHY? Because they remind these ears of much of what I love about the sound of SET amps, having owned several nice ones, o'er the years, but chips amp records with zero hassles, no tubes no heat,  no f-ing bias issues, and I can leave them on all the time.

I now have a very small 20 watt Tripath amp from Griffin Technologies, thePowerWave, designed for computer use, but useful for many things, including high efficiency speakers, I assume. I am also keenly interested in the Omega designs, as they do away with big-assed back-horns, -which I love but are not practical for me. I particularly like the full-ish range 8 inch model and would like to hear from their owners.....I would like any opinions and thoughts about using the Tiny Terror amp with these speaks, suggestions, etc. Feel free to weigh in, Louis!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #1 on: 22 Feb 2004, 12:54 pm »
Not to mistake digital for solid state, but the Omega speakers I've heard much preferred tubes.

The 6 - 8 inch diameter Fostex driver based TS1/2 series offer warmer sound that seem "full" sounding

The 4.5 inch Fostex FE127E based Omegas are faster and take resolution to the next level.  The larger FE127E based designs measure bass output to be very close to the TS1/2 series.  Adding a fast sub, like a VBT completes a very competent package.  

20 wpc should be plenty for any Omega.

We're all waiting anxiously for Mike82 to report back on his Super 3s that replace the very nice FE127E with the awesome F120A ($440/pair for the drivers alone).

Please let us know if you try the Griffen with Omegas.

Dmason

« Reply #2 on: 22 Feb 2004, 01:23 pm »
Digital amps remind me of tube amps; Warmth, dynamics, harmonic splendour; Even better is the fact that in real world terms, the speaker sees "zero ohms," -digital amps exhibit near absolute speaker control, unbelievable bass even from this paperback book sized box, making me think that the nature of these amps, and their sonic signature might actually be ideal for the Hi E Fostex, Lowther, and others.

Another question, the smaller drivers it seems would be the faster, perhaps somewhat less efficient ones, what are people using for subs? Is there an Omega-sub? Your mention of a compatible three way, with a small digital amp is starting to sound pretty grown up to me.

JLM

« Reply #3 on: 23 Feb 2004, 02:54 am »
Yes the FE127E has a very light weight cone, which probably accounts for it's "speed".

At one time Louis was showing a "mini-max" speaker system that included a pair of TS3 with a 10 inch powered sub.  Check recent posts, Louis' first choice would be the VBT subs, Adire Rava would be 2nd.  (Realize that Louis is after value.)

Yes a pair of Super 3Rs with stands and powered VBT sub adds up to over $2,000, which is inviting some very good competition.  OTOH a pair of Super 3's with stands and a Rava sub can be had for under $1,200, that in my mind offers some very good value.

And while $700 for a pair of Griffens sounds reasonable, a Panny 45 is half that and modded Carvers run only $800-1,000.

Dmason

« Reply #4 on: 23 Feb 2004, 03:03 am »
The Griffin PowerWave can be had for $88 at ecost. The low cost is what got me going. Two, with a tube pre amp for biamping would add $186 etc. You may be thinking of the Flying Mole, which to me does not represent good value in digital amps.

Mike82

« Reply #5 on: 23 Feb 2004, 01:38 pm »
DMason:
There's a lot of truth in what you're saying about the Tripath. I've heard it and was quite surprised about the fluidity to the sound.  There was no evidence of the typical solid-state "grain" I hear on other s-s amplification.

While the Tripath doesn't create "space" quite as well as a good SET, that type amp would definately be my choice should SET suddenly disappear from the face of the earth.  

JLM:
I'm still waiting for the alnico Super 3R.  Louis posted an email here on 2/9/04 that they were finished and awaiting veneer, so they should be arriving soon.  Once they are broken-in, I will post my impressions

JLM

« Reply #6 on: 23 Feb 2004, 11:07 pm »
Dmason, you got my there (had my animal digial amps switched).

What high quality tube pre-amp did you have in mind for $186?

Dmason

« Reply #7 on: 23 Feb 2004, 11:46 pm »
You misread; --Two Powerwaves would be $176. I was thinking aloud, that my pre amp, with two outputs, one could actually bi-amp using two Griffin PowerWaves. My pre amp would be the above number X2X10. But the Foreplay is indeed under $186.

The PowerWaves represent ALOT of Tripath goodness to anyone with high efficiency speakers, and should be considered by anyone wading into the Omega fray, without the need to spend on tubes. ie: An extremely viable alternative to tubes. tha's all!

albee

« Reply #8 on: 24 Feb 2004, 12:43 am »
Dmason, I got the bug last night and ordered a Powerwave direct from Griffin.  Soon after I downloaded the user manual and saw that no specs were in it.  I got a scare when it referred to playing Apples speakers down to 70hz.  Is there more bottom end than that?  I realized the power is coming from a wall wart but I was hoping for more.

PS.  Griffin has still not confirmed shipping--I wonder if they have a wait also?

Dmason

« Reply #9 on: 24 Feb 2004, 01:37 am »
Do not worry; Sounds like they indicate the speakers dig deeper with the Tripath chip's little fists wrapped around their necks. Digital amps Fs go from DC to a foldback algorithm about 50KHz, with rising distortion.

Right now the PowerWave is burning in, sounding waaaaaaaaaaaaay waaaay better than it has any right to, hooked up to my Soliloquy 5.0 monitors. If the Omegas are as good as you all say, then I think this is a hit, for real. Next, I will figure out how to bridge the amp and that should produce about 40 watts. BTW, running flat out all day long, the PowerWave is just slightly warm to the touch!

Anybody heard the 5.0's who own Omegas?

albee

« Reply #10 on: 24 Feb 2004, 02:06 am »
Just got an email from Griffin saying there is a backorder and they will ship when available.  No time frame given.  Sigh.   :?