Pez and Tyson's Best of RMAF- the ultimate guide to awesomeness 2013

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
No one offered to buy an ad...  Some reviewers from mags have been known to hint that ads are available for sale as they do their listening.  :nono:

I've met JA a couple times and while we have some differences of opinion, I don't think that's his modus opernadi.
My 2c

cheers,

AJ

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
Ditto.
I've met JA a couple times and while we have some differences of opinion, I don't think that's his modus opernadi.
My 2c

cheers,

AJ

johzel

I'm pretty sure this is the thread that brought AC to a halt yesterday.   :lol:

LOL  :lol:  I thought the exact same thing.  Learned long ago to accept others' opinions as just that - opinions.  The only opinions that are fact are our own!!  Like others, not being an attendee I love seeing the pictures and learning about what's new out there - even if through someone else's eyes and ears.  Thanks fellas . . . enjoyed the coverage.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Do you have any proof that John Atkinson did this when he was in the Vapor's room?
No, this was more a comment about the industry than any one reviewer, so I should have included a "wink" after the first sentence.  I have no knowledge at all about Mr. Atkinson, but I have heard manufacturers comment about reviews/ad connections.  This type of thing apparently does happen.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Maybe exceeding 10,000 views on this thread broke AC?   :o

I really am interested in how Jason and I might be more fair in our selections next year.  Seriously, no snark intended.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Maybe exceeding 10,000 views on this thread broke AC? 
I'm pretty sure this is the thread that brought AC to a halt yesterday.   :lol:
LOL  :lol:  I thought the exact same thing.  Learned long ago to accept others' opinions as just that - opinions.  The only opinions that are fact are our own!!  Like others, not being an attendee I love seeing the pictures and learning about what's new out there - even if through someone else's eyes and ears.  Thanks fellas . . . enjoyed the coverage.

macrojack

• Restricted
Maybe exceeding 10,000 views on this thread broke AC?   :o

I really am interested in how Jason and I might be more fair in our selections next year.  Seriously, no snark intended.

Don't fix it if it ain't broke. You and Pez deliver your brand, which apparently is very well liked as you present it. Continue to pursue your muse and let those who prefer a different artist follow him. Part of the value you provide is a view that is not influenced by anyone but yourselves. Keep it that way. I see you guys as artists creating your art form. There should be no concern that yellow is being neglected to benefit blue in your painting. It is what you make it -- for better or worse.

From all the accolades, I have to deduce it is better.

Scott F.

Don't do that. Don't succumb to outside pressure. Visit the rooms you want to visit. Be who you are and don't apologize for it. There is nothing wrong with that. If others can't accept that, well, tough titties. Let them read the online mags coverage and don't give it another thought.

I've known you guys for more than a few years and the last thing I think is that you have is any sort of agenda. Just as you've said over and over, you visit the rooms you think are worthy...and honestly, the rooms you visit are worthy. Sure, there may be a room or two that you missed but (again) as you mentioned, the show is short (when reporting) and you'd like to spend a little bit of time with the 'friends' you've made over the years. Nothing wrong with that at all. And yes, you are covering a high percentage of AC sponsors but you are reporting on the AC website.

When I covered the shows for ETM, I picked the stuff that interested me and also, I covered the manufacturers that I knew. Most of them, I knew there rooms should sound good. On occasion I'd walk into a room (not on my list) and find decent sound. Other times, I'd turn around and walk right out.

You guys did a darn fine job covering the show. I enjoy the banter and differences the two of you find. Keep it up....and don't change your coverage to suit the whiners. Stand on your beliefs and don't waiver.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Yes. That ^

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
macrojack and Scott F....
Amen and Amen! 

Their RMAF review format needs a "fix" about as much as the Mona Lisa. 

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
    • DontKnowNuthinBoutNoComputers
Don't do that. Don't succumb to outside pressure. Visit the rooms you want to visit. Be who you are and don't apologize for it. There is nothing wrong with that. If others can't accept that, well, tough titties. Let them read the online mags coverage and don't give it another thought.

I've known you guys for more than a few years and the last thing I think is that you have is any sort of agenda. Just as you've said over and over, you visit the rooms you think are worthy...and honestly, the rooms you visit are worthy. Sure, there may be a room or two that you missed but (again) as you mentioned, the show is short (when reporting) and you'd like to spend a little bit of time with the 'friends' you've made over the years. Nothing wrong with that at all. And yes, you are covering a high percentage of AC sponsors but you are reporting on the AC website.

When I covered the shows for ETM, I picked the stuff that interested me and also, I covered the manufacturers that I knew. Most of them, I knew there rooms should sound good. On occasion I'd walk into a room (not on my list) and find decent sound. Other times, I'd turn around and walk right out.

You guys did a darn fine job covering the show. I enjoy the banter and differences the two of you find. Keep it up....and don't change your coverage to suit the whiners. Stand on your beliefs and don't waiver.

And everyone by now should realize that there are so many 'worthy` contenders that no one can possibly visit them all at shows of this size

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
macrojack and Scott F....
Amen and Amen! 

Their RMAF review format needs a "fix" about as much as the Mona Lisa.

And absolutely do NOT consult Rowan Atkinson on how to do it right..

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Obviously the only way to do it is to visit EVERY room. You guys better pick up the pace, slackers!  :P

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
I know a far superior review format for RMAF than P&T's.  It's a secret.  I won't do it.  Neither will anyone else. 

/sarc off

audioengr

"I have nothing to write as no-one in this room seemed interested either in playing me music or giving me any information. "  - John Atkinson

http://www.stereophile.com/content/vapor-audio-bmc-hyatt

Unfortunately, it was just bad timing.  I was touring the Mariott at the time with my wife and I guess Ryan had just stepped out to get some food or something.  Ryan was just returning and he saw JA come out of the room and I guess go to the Wilson room.  When he realized this, he notified me and I returned immediately from the Mariott,  put a sentry, my wife outside the Wilson room and waited.  He never emerged.... Maybe Ryan was mistaken about him going in there.

The folks in the room should have been playing music the whole time anyway.  I never heard it quiet when I was there.  Maybe the server was being worked-on at the time and that was the reason.  We had a monoblock amp go whacko and take out several USB ports on the server.  It was replaced by a stereo amp that Ryan brought and then things worked fine.

I tried to post something on the Stereophile site explaining this, but the field for text is just blank and will not allow me to type....

Steve N.

jhm731

I tried to post something on the Stereophile site explaining this, but the field for text is just blank and will not allow me to type....
Steve N.

You need to be registered and Login to post comments.

Two people have posted comments.

audioengr

You need to be registered and Login to post comments.

Two people have posted comments.

I am registered and logged in.  It does not show you the "reply" buttons unless you are logged in.

Something with Java is broken I think.

Steve N.

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
I know a far superior review format for RMAF than P&T's.  It's a secret.  I won't do it.  Neither will anyone else. 

/sarc off

So do I. And it's MUCH better than yours! I'd be willing to part with the details if the price is right.

brother love

The Absolute Sound choose the GR, TWL, PIAudio, DB Audio Labs best of show price no object. I do not believe any advertise in the Absolute Sound.

I think you are referring to Steven Stone at TAS,  & in that case your point is very well taken.  I wonder if he reviewed every single room at RMAF before selecting HIS best in show.  :wink:

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
So do I. And it's MUCH better than yours! I'd be willing to part with the details if the price is right.

Or.....we could each raffle them off for charity purpose... :lol:

/sarc off