LDR3000T.V25 Tube Preamp

SonnyB

Re: LDR3000T.V25 Tube Preamp
« Reply #40 on: 4 Sep 2019, 10:35 pm »
I though I replied to this saying thanks for the useful info and congrats, without jinxing it, on hitting your deadline. But I can’t see the post, so I’m saying it again. Cheers.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Handcrafted high performance audio
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #41 on: 5 Sep 2019, 08:57 pm »
Today we  shipped off the first batch of front and rear panels to the anodizer. About a week turn around on those so we'll have them back just in time to finish the initial builds and start shipping after the planned Sept 16 release date. The reason we don't have finished product pics yet is because we've been waiting on these panels.

Here's a front panel right after machining the slot for the acrylic lens inlay and control knob. The next step is to flip the panel over and machine the pocket for the encoder and the OLED display (not shown).

First batch of panels ready to be boxed and shipped.

The new Alps encoders arrived!

Randy

« Reply #42 on: 6 Sep 2019, 12:10 am »
I understand the choices for 6H30s and 6922s. I understand the sonic differences.

What  I need to know is if I order the preamp with 6H30, will it then be safe to use 6922s in this preamp?

I've had the tube buffer for I guess two years. Started with the stock tube, went to the Gold Lion, nice improvement, I thought, but now use the even better Telefunken Black Diamond  E88CC-TK.

https://www.tubedepot.com/products/telefunken-black-diamond-e88cc-6922

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #43 on: 6 Sep 2019, 01:09 pm »
I've had the tube buffer for I guess two years. Started with the stock tube, went to the Gold Lion, nice improvement, I thought, but now use the even better Telefunken Black Diamond  E88CC-TK.

https://www.tubedepot.com/products/telefunken-black-diamond-e88cc-6922

Thanks for that feedback Randy. I recall you mentioning the telefunkens. Now you've got me curious so I'll probably have to give those black diamonds a try as well. At $108 a pair it's hard not to.

Addendum:  I looked into these tubes and while in no way suggesting Randy's experience with these tubes was anything other than positive as he stated, these are strictly not Telefunken tubes since Telefunken ceased operations in 1967 and this is a current production tube. Apparently JJ Electronic (Slovak Republic) has branded these as Telefunken. They use some version of their own JJ design and then put them through a burn-in and cryo treatment process and slap the Telefunken Black Diamond brand on them. So apparently they are  current JJ production valves disguised as Telefunkens but hey, they either sound good or they don't.

Randy

« Reply #44 on: 6 Sep 2019, 05:17 pm »
Thanks for that feedback Randy. I recall you mentioning the telefunkens. Now you've got me curious so I'll probably have to give those black diamonds a try as well. At $108 a pair it's hard not to.

Addendum:  I looked into these tubes and while in no way suggesting Randy's experience with these tubes was anything other than positive as he stated, these are strictly not Telefunken tubes since Telefunken ceased operations in 1967 and this is a current production tube. Apparently JJ Electronic (Slovak Republic) has branded these as Telefunken. They use some version of their own JJ design and then put them through a burn-in and cryo treatment process and slap the Telefunken Black Diamond brand on them. So apparently they are  current JJ production valves disguised as Telefunkens but hey, they either sound good or they don't.

Morten, two things I also like about them, not sonics related, however. They are shorter and don't stick up as high as the Electro Harmonix or Gold Lions, so look less funky, imo.  They also don't run nearly as hot as the other two, so you don't risk scorching your hand reaching behind for the power switch if you brush them going by.  Both things, as I said, are obviously irrelevant regarding the sound.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #45 on: 11 Sep 2019, 01:17 pm »
We remain on track to build and ship our first LDR3000T Tube Preamp starting next week. The critical path remains receipt of our first batch of front/rear panels from our anodizer which should be on their way today or tomorrow. Meanwhile we still have a bit of work to do finalizing the updated V25 firmware. The firmware changes are mostly related to refining the integration between the main V25 controller and a small satellite controller on the tube/buffer board.

In related news, we are pleased to announce that 6Moons.com has agreed to review the LDR3000T. Terry London will be handling the review for 6Moons. Terry will get started as soon we get one built and shipped off to him.

With a little luck we will have some initial product photos posted next week.

For those waiting until the last minute to place an order for an LDR3000T, the 20% pre-order discount expires at midnight this Sunday, September 15.

More info on the LDR3000T can be found here:  https://www.tortugaaudio.com/products/active-preamps/ldr3000t-v25-tube-preamp/

Cheers,
Morten

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #46 on: 13 Sep 2019, 06:05 pm »
Good news!  The first batch of front/rear panels have arrived from the anodizer. So we remain on track for release and start shipping the LDR3000T next week.

The 20% pre-order discount runs through this weekend and expires on Monday Sept 16. Time's running out. More info on the LDR3000T here: https://www.tortugaaudio.com/products/active-preamps/ldr3000t-v25-tube-preamp/

SonnyB

« Reply #47 on: 17 Sep 2019, 04:31 pm »
Great to get the email today saying it's being built.

Congrats on hitting the deadline. I didn't think that ever happened in manufacturing a new product (not you I mean, anyone). :)

How's it all going?

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #48 on: 17 Sep 2019, 04:38 pm »
Great to get the email today saying it's being built.

Congrats on hitting the deadline. I didn't think that ever happened in manufacturing a new product (not you I mean, anyone). :)

How's it all going?

It's a new record for us for sure. We've been working on subassemblies for a few weeks now but now we're finally putting whole units together and will start shipping before the week is out. Birthing new products is always a scramble and this has been no exception.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #49 on: 17 Sep 2019, 10:30 pm »
As we ramp up production of the LDR3000T Tube Preamp we'll be posting pics of various subassemblies plus of course the finished product. Here's a couple shots of both the front and back side of the rear panel before we attach it to the input/output interface circuit board which we'll probably add here when we have a pic of that.

« Last Edit: 17 Sep 2019, 11:52 pm by tortugaranger »

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #50 on: 19 Sep 2019, 02:09 pm »
Here is a finished rear panel assembly shown with and without the I/O interface board in place. Once the rear panel assembly is ready it's time to plug in the tube board and the 2 V25 preamp controller/attenuator boards and insert the entire assembly into the case.

Perfusionist

« Reply #51 on: 24 Sep 2019, 03:44 am »
Hi guys

I recently came across the name of this amp a couple of days of ago when I was looking for preamps. I have a psaudio ds dac and psaudio m700 monoblocks. I was thinking of introducing a preamp. Was looking at the Schiit Freya + preamp but it’s out of stick indefinitely as they are out of parts. Any one has tortugas active preamp? Any real pics of the unit? I emailed the support group a couple of days ago but no response. Any thoughts on this preamp would fit my setup? Is the amp out yet and/or the activ preamp still eligible for the discount posted above?

Thanks in advance for your inputs
Meyy

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #52 on: 24 Sep 2019, 01:40 pm »
Hi guys

I recently came across the name of this amp a couple of days of ago when I was looking for preamps. I have a psaudio ds dac and psaudio m700 monoblocks. I was thinking of introducing a preamp. Was looking at the Schiit Freya + preamp but it’s out of stick indefinitely as they are out of parts. Any one has tortugas active preamp? Any real pics of the unit? I emailed the support group a couple of days ago but no response. Any thoughts on this preamp would fit my setup? Is the amp out yet and/or the activ preamp still eligible for the discount posted above?

Thanks in advance for your inputs
Meyy

Hi Meyy,

Yes, the preamp is now in production and we have started shipping pre-orders. Contact me via PM or email (morten@tortugaaudio.com) regarding discount which expired a week ago today.

Cheers,
Morten

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #53 on: 24 Sep 2019, 09:35 pm »
Here we have the new TPB.V2 Tube/Buffer Board for the LDR3000T loaded up with 4 channels of optional VCAP CuTF reference grade copper/teflon coupling caps. Makes for one sweet sounding tube preamp.  :thumb:

« Last Edit: 25 Sep 2019, 02:44 pm by tortugaranger »

SonnyB

« Reply #54 on: 25 Sep 2019, 08:29 am »
Great stuff.

So are you actually shipping now? How many have you made so far?

And when can we see a full picture of the whole thing?

Nice work. :)

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #55 on: 25 Sep 2019, 02:19 pm »
Great stuff.
So are you actually shipping now? How many have you made so far?
And when can we see a full picture of the whole thing?
Nice work. :)

Yes, actually shipping albeit at a slow rate as we ramp up. As is always the case with new products with embedded controllers we continue to tweak the firmware as we go along but that will soon stop given that we're using an otherwise mature V25 controller/attenuator with this model.

I expect to post finished product pics later today. Was all set to do so yesterday but our SLR camera's white balance was way off so we have to reshoot them today.

SonnyB

« Reply #56 on: 25 Sep 2019, 03:32 pm »
Lovely stuff. Congrats. Look forward to the pics. :)

SonnyB

« Reply #57 on: 25 Sep 2019, 03:33 pm »
In that case, thinking of it, has anybody here actually received one yet?

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #58 on: 25 Sep 2019, 03:35 pm »
In that case, thinking of it, has anybody here actually received one yet?

Not possible. Shipments in transit.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
Re: LDR3000T.V25 Tube Preamp - Product Pics
« Reply #59 on: 25 Sep 2019, 06:06 pm »
First round of product pics. Shown with 6922 tubes.  :thumb:
https://www.tortugaaudio.com/products/active-preamps/ldr3000t-v25-tube-preamp/