Hypex & low impedances?

AlliumPorrum

Hypex & low impedances?
« on: 11 Nov 2012, 07:12 pm »
I'm planning to build active setup with Magneplanar 2.5's & DEQX, and Hypex UCD or NCore would be an interesting option for amplification. I have heard that Hypexes can handle quite low impedances, but does anyone here have real life experience on this?? 2.5R's drivers can be somewhere near 2.5 ohms; should this be any problem for Hypex?

yetis

Re: Hypex & low impedances?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Nov 2012, 02:15 am »
Yes, read this link.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=108971.0

Long short is, use short and thick speaker wire....

Rclark

« Reply #2 on: 12 Nov 2012, 07:30 am »
The amps are 2ohm stable, and probably around 700 watts or so at that rating. Good luck, let us know how you like it. I have mine on modded MMG's and it's ridiculously good. 2.5 ohms though, that's interesting. Anyway, Ncores and planars are an excellent combo. I feel like the amps are extracting every last percent of performance out of my speakers.

jonbee

« Reply #3 on: 12 Nov 2012, 03:38 pm »
My speakers are 4 ohm nominal. I had been using 7 ga. 8 ft Acoustic Zen Satri Biwire cables with my ncores, but recently went to 10 ga. 8 ft. with absolutely no negative results. It still sounds fabulous, with the remarkable bass control that is a hallmark of these amps. My system is very high-rez. In spite of Jim Romeyn's findings, I haven't found the impedance sensitivity he talks about.
If you use low impedance loads, it is still a good idea to use pretty large ga. and short cables, but I don't think you need to go overboard either.