subs for 3.6's please ????

2bigears

subs for 3.6's please ????
« on: 25 Apr 2011, 06:23 pm »
 :D  hello good people,have a pair of 3.6's in the open concept living/dinning/kitchen room,main floor of the house.it's a large room.would very much like to do a couple subs that do music well.can you guys send me on my way with a few good recommends please.budget is a grand or so each please.some where in there.little higher ok ??  thks for any help as always..Pat :D

THROWBACK

Re: subs for 3.6's please ????
« Reply #1 on: 25 Apr 2011, 06:43 pm »
I have Sound Lab ESLs--dipoles, like yours. I have tried a number of subs, but they always sounded like separate speakers. I have had a theory that OB dipole subs might sound better with the dipole ESLs. Maybe my theory is wrong, but my results aren't. I am using double GR Research SW12 16FR servos on each side of my ESLs. The H-Frames were easy to build; the price is right also, and include the amps necessary to drive them (built-in servo loop) I am thinking about getting 2 more pairs and stack them on top of the other ones, but I'm not sure I really need them. I listen almost entirely to classical music.
Chuck

Crimson

« Reply #2 on: 25 Apr 2011, 06:51 pm »
I use Vandersteen 2Wq with the 3.6. They seem to work well together.

jk@home

« Reply #3 on: 26 Apr 2011, 11:42 am »
Can you diy?

jaywills

« Reply #4 on: 26 Apr 2011, 01:50 pm »
+1 on the Vandersteen 2wq.  Got one for my Quad 64's and it mated with them better than a 15" Velodyne and a Sunfire sub I had tried with them.  Of course, YMMV.  Good luck. Cordially,

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #5 on: 26 Apr 2011, 02:24 pm »
  Not an easy task but can be done. Stick with a sub that has the same sensitivity of the Maggie.. Smaller faster drivers work best IMO. The use of a Berhinger EQ for bass ONLY will tie it together seamlessly.  Run theMaggies full range. Have fun trying.

charles

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 26 Apr 2011, 03:23 pm »
If you want simple get two Rythmik 12" subs. 

If you are willing to do some work and have some patience, I'd go with four subs and blend per Geddes.  If I had electrostats again that's what I would do.  Lucky for me, I don't have them or plan on them ever again.   :D

2bigears

« Reply #7 on: 26 Apr 2011, 03:43 pm »
 :D  thks guys,this is a second system and fun is what it's all bout'.might try a couple Rytmiks to start.thks guys.......... :D  Pat

trout2

« Reply #8 on: 26 Apr 2011, 06:07 pm »
REL. Run the Maggies full range and fill-in the sub bass with the REL.

pelliott321

« Reply #9 on: 26 Apr 2011, 06:42 pm »
I do not have 3.6's but I do have rebuilt IIIa's.  I use double subs that are xovered 24db/octive at 40hz and they handle down to below 20hz.  I first let the IIIa's run full range but I had a very bumpy 60hz to 40hz range so I have placed a .1uf poly cap on the input of my bass panel amp to only pass 50hz on up to the bass panel.  This gives me two advantages.  It even out my bumpy-lumpy bass and I can now play much louder without mylar slap woo woo 

rw@cn

« Reply #10 on: 26 Apr 2011, 07:12 pm »
TBI subs are small and work well with Maggies.

berni

« Reply #11 on: 1 May 2011, 08:08 am »
Go with open baffle dipole sub from AE speakers, either 2x15" or even 2x18" per side.
The AE speakers are in the picture of @jk above.