MagnaRisers 1.7s

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
MagnaRisers 1.7s
« on: 2 Apr 2023, 11:50 am »
For years people have been telling me get some stands for the 1.7s.
I don't have a whole lot of ceiling room and the system sounded fine so I didn't worry about it.
The MagnaRisers worked so well on the LRS/LRS+ and 3.7s I finally broke down and ordered some.
I should have done it a long time ago!
To look at them you wouldn't think they could possibly do very much but they certainly do.
The presentation just seems more solid which I know is a poor description but that's pretty accurate. 
There is more bass and certain things that were previously buried in the mix just become more prominent. 
I put on Thrax by King Crimson and one guitar line really just jumped out at me which it didn't before.  They had a  few other guitar tracks on whatever song that was which also became a lot more noticeable, before they were kind of lost in all the other stuff that was going on.
These will require a little more fooling around with placement but they slide really easiy on carpet which is a good thing.
I went with the Ascenion stands as they have the least amount of rise.
They took a while to show up but they were worth the wait.  A good product which offered a very noticeable improvement to an already good sounding system.

Saturn94

Re: MagnaRisers 1.7s
« Reply #1 on: 2 Apr 2023, 03:08 pm »
Nice!  :thumb:

jjss49

« Reply #2 on: 2 Apr 2023, 07:40 pm »
magna risers' improvement onto maggies big and small is for real, and substantial...

Loki57

« Reply #3 on: 2 Apr 2023, 07:44 pm »
I wonder if the stands would make any difference with my 20.7's.

ajzepp

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jun 2023, 02:10 pm »
I bought some for my little 0.7s and love them. Great product, and the guy who makes/sells them is a gentleman and a scholar. Worth every penny. The Unplugged recording of Alice in Chains is fantastic to begin with, but it was even more impressive after I swapped out to the MagnaRisers. Thumbs up from me.

Saturn94

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jun 2023, 03:20 pm »
I bought some for my little 0.7s and love them. Great product, and the guy who makes/sells them is a gentleman and a scholar. Worth every penny. The Unplugged recording of Alice in Chains is fantastic to begin with, but it was even more impressive after I swapped out to the MagnaRisers. Thumbs up from me.

Which ones did you get?

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #6 on: 21 Jun 2023, 08:43 pm »
I had homemade ones for my old MMGs and they were a definite improvement over stock.  Metal L brackets, but I used oak footers to match the oak side rails.  I kept the stock feet for the guy who eventually bought them, he said he was using mine and almost left the stock feet with me until we figured out how they fit into the shipping boxes. 

ajzepp

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jun 2023, 02:27 am »
Which ones did you get?

I got the Airborne model back in Summer of 2020. Cant believe it's been 3yr already

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 22 Jun 2023, 09:30 am »
ajzepp,
Did  you sell the 3.6s?

ajzepp

« Reply #9 on: 22 Jun 2023, 02:28 pm »
ajzepp,
Did  you sell the 3.6s?

Not yet. Theyve been on "decoration" duty for the past few years. Prob will sell them sooner or later, just haven't gotten around to it. Weird to say, but although I miss the true ribbon tweeter, the overall coherence of the little Maggies - especially with my current electronics and Tekton subwoofer handling the low end - is appealing enough to earn my preference over the classics.

Saturn94

« Reply #10 on: 22 Jun 2023, 03:00 pm »
I got the Airborne model back in Summer of 2020. Cant believe it's been 3yr already

Nice!  :thumb:

jjss49

« Reply #11 on: 22 Jun 2023, 03:14 pm »
i have two sets of 1.7i's, one leaving stock while i am modding the wiring and xo on the other as a project

i have both magnariser models from rob -- the ascension is the better stand, in that it is more rigid and has a wider front to back footprint for stability, whereas the 2nd airborne looks cool with the diagonal support, and is more compact.  they both lift the speaker to the same height from ground level

as has been said they are quality products, and allow the speaker to shine significantly compared to being on the weak and low stock stands

ajzepp

« Reply #12 on: 22 Jun 2023, 03:44 pm »

johnto

« Reply #13 on: 26 Jul 2023, 02:34 am »
Can anyone describe the sound change risers will make for the 3.7i.  A few years back I was considering Mye stands and another circle member told me they didn't do anything for him.
Thanks

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 26 Jul 2023, 09:06 am »
I found more bass output with the 3.7s.

BikeFi10

« Reply #15 on: 9 Aug 2023, 04:44 pm »
Steve, a couple questions. What size is that room your 1.7s are in? Im trying to figure out a relocate for my rig.
Those MR stands look same as stock stands. What is the difference? Just curious.

Sadly, my rig including 1.7i's and Odessey amp is in storage due to fam members needing a place to stay.

My now repurposed listening room was 20'x30'x8'. I cant imagine putting my rig in my 10'x12' office.

Wife is open to setting rig up in 20'x22'x16' living room, but would be complicated for good speaker placement.
They were 4.5' from front and 4 ' from side walls in listening room.
They have modded stands. Total weight about 60 lbs each, so moving back & forth for listening/storage not an option unless I put them on wheels.

So how does that pictured room work out for you or anyone less reading with a smaller listening room?

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #16 on: 8 Sep 2023, 11:19 pm »
I just saw this, the upstairs room is a converted attic, it runs the length of the house, the speakers are pulled out 7' from the rear wall.
Outside to outside edge of the speakers is 9' and my butt it about 18' back.
I asked for the lowest Magnarisers and the bottom of the speaker is about 3.75" above the carpet.  The top of the speakers just clear the ceiling.
The MagnaRisers are a lot more substantial than the Magnepan items.

I have a stairwell to contend with so that dictated the positioning.  For listening I use some paneling and temporarily box the stairwell shut.