New Crystal Oscillator available for Synchro-Mesh

audioengr

New Crystal Oscillator available for Synchro-Mesh
« on: 20 Apr 2019, 12:31 am »
This is a really nice inexpensive upgrade at $100.  The oscillator must be unsoldered and replaced with the new one.

I was shocked at the improvement actually.  The phase-error is 8dB and more lower than the one I'm using now.  Sound quality unlike anything I have heard before.

This is another no-brainer.  I will be sending emails to Synchro-Mesh users soon.

Steve N.

path73

Re: New Crystal Oscillator available for Synchro-Mesh
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2019, 10:46 pm »
I got my upgraded Synchro Mesh back a few days ago. My best 100 bucks I spent on audio gear since I am into this hobby!

I can’t think of an aspect of reproduced sound that is left unimproved by this further reduction in SPDIF jitter, provided the cable from SM to DAC is up to the task. Empirical Audio’s digital reference cable truly is a killer combination in my setup. I am still puzzled by our ear’s sensitivity to jitter induced distortion mechanisms in DACs, almost 40 years after the introduction of CD... But since it is so, why should one let the chance pass by to transform any digital audio stream into a world class source by this little wonder box?

I actually didn’t think digital audio could sound this close to Vinyl with the added benefit of avoiding its inherent drawbacks. Sound is compellingly liquid and high frequencies are now so well integrated in instruments and voices that it conveys a lifelike plasticity to them. All traces of residual hardness that I could spot in some recordings and that would hold me back from turning the volume fully up seem to have vanished, but not the dynamics! Guitars and bass are to die for.

Steve, would all the recent upgrades including this latest oscillator upgrade be included in new SM units?

Happy listening, /path
« Last Edit: 13 May 2019, 05:31 pm by path73 »

audioengr

Re: New Crystal Oscillator available for Synchro-Mesh
« Reply #2 on: 13 May 2019, 12:04 am »
I got my upgraded Synchro Mesh back a few days ago. My best 100 bucks I spent on audio gear since I am into this hobby!

I can’t think of an aspect of reproduced sound that is left unimproved by this further reduction in SPDIF jitter, provided the cable from SM to DAC doesn’t mock it up. Empirical Audio’s digital reference cable truly is a killer combination in my setup. I am still puzzled by our ear’s sensitivity to jitter induced distortion mechanisms in DACs, almost 40 years after the introduction of CD... But since it is so, why should one let the chance pass by to transform any digital audio stream into a world class source by this little wonder box?

I actually didn’t think digital audio could sound this close to Vinyl with the added benefit of avoiding its inherent drawbacks. Sound is compellingly liquid and high frequencies are now so well integrated in instruments and voices that it conveys a lifelike plasticity to them. All traces of residual hardness that I could spot in some recordings and that would hold me back from turning the volume fully up seem to have vanished, but not the dynamics! Guitars and bass are to die for.

Steve, would all the recent upgrades including this latest oscillator upgrade be included in new SM units?

Happy listening, /path

Yes, all of the upgrades including the new clock are in the new SM builds. 

It may be a bit more expensive to get 44.1kHz output using the new oscillator since I have to add a divider to it.  Just tested one like this for a friend that has an old modded Theta DAC.  Sounded fantastic.  Most people will not need this because most use DACs that support at least 24/96.

Thanks,
Steve N.