NuPrime Pi-9 on clearance sale at $299

rustydoglim

NuPrime Pi-9 on clearance sale at $299
« on: 12 Apr 2019, 12:28 am »
https://nuoem.com/store/sales-promotion/nuprime-pi-9/

Features:External high quality switching power supply with filter board inside the case to ensure clean 5V power to Raspberry Pi and hard diskDiscrete USB audio receiver and D/A converter with 24-bit/384kHz and native DSD 256 supportOptical, Coaxial, RCA, HDMI outputsWiFi antennaInternal space for Raspberry Pi 3, hard disk, and power filter board.Included:Raspberry Pi 3B board, WiFi antenna., 3.5" hard disk mounting bracketNuPrime uDSD DAC board.
« Last Edit: 17 Apr 2019, 06:23 pm by rustydoglim »

zappan

Re: NuPrime Pi-9 on clearance sale at $250
« Reply #1 on: 15 Apr 2019, 03:28 pm »
A very interesting offer, I ordered on Saturday.
But, unfortunately, I got an email today from Nuoem saying:

" Fedex requests the package to be clearance by company.
Croatia does not allow the package to be clear by private individual."

@Jason - do you have any ideas how to go around this FedEx restriction?
I am ordering this as an individual for hobby/learning, and don't have a company available to do the clearance through.

Thanks

rustydoglim

« Reply #2 on: 15 Apr 2019, 06:03 pm »
This is your country's customs import restriction, we just do what FedEx told us.  We can send by post office mail, but then it could still be impounded by the customs so we can't take the risk.

giordy60

« Reply #3 on: 16 Apr 2019, 10:57 am »
Jason, distributors do not get anything?
Does HDMI only have video functions?
or does it also transfer the digital audio signal?
i2s for instance

rustydoglim

Re: NuPrime Pi-9 on clearance sale at $299
« Reply #4 on: 17 Apr 2019, 06:29 pm »
Sorry, I have to change the price to $299 because $250 is BELOW COST, factory complained that they already taking a loss selling at cost. 

Jason, distributors do not get anything?
No, it is selling BELOW COST, Nuprime is losing money clearing stocks.  This is not an official product.
If anyone can DIY with this quality below $299, I will be happy to buy from you, lol.

Does HDMI only have video functions?
Yes.
You want i2S output for this price? :duh: 

Guys, this is an awesome platform for Raspberry Pi enthusiasts, with a pretty good DAC and headphone amp.  And that's it.

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #5 on: 17 Apr 2019, 11:36 pm »
Also, a RPi3 runs Linux distros (most notably Raspbian).

In theory we could find apts that output i2s through HDMI or write a module ourselves.  It's not going to be easy, but it's not completely out of the question.  Could be an interesting project!

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #6 on: 17 Apr 2019, 11:49 pm »
Here's a good read:
https://forum.volumio.org/raspberry-music-player-with-i2s-out-over-hdmi-t2441.html

You could add a small board, connect the right pins, move the hdmi cable from the pi to the board and, presto, you have i2s output.

The beauty of the pi is you can do almost anything.  The difficult part is that you have to get your hands dirty and your feet wet!

zappan

« Reply #7 on: 18 Apr 2019, 04:32 pm »
Also, a RPi3 runs Linux distros (most notably Raspbian).

What is more interesting for a streaming RPi solution is PiCorePlayer (https://picoreplayer.org/)
It has LMS server and a SqueezeLite player preinstalled, so one box solution media server and renderer, headless (controlled from a phone/tablet).

I've been using that for the last week or so to play radio through my old version 1 RPi and a portable speaker over the Pi analog output / speaker line-in. I must say I'm impressed how it just works, even with that ancient Pi. Mind that the sound quality was not what this first Pi experiment was all about. Although, on a portable speaker, it’s nothing to complain about, I used to use Bluetooth by now, and this RPi approach sounds surely not worse. For background music works great.

Also, my experience with playing with LMS vs. DLNA/UPnP during this experimentation is that LMS is a hassle-free solution that simply works, plus it has plugins for Radio Paradise, Qobuz, Tidal, etc. that all work. With DLNA it was a hassle - slower loading of music collection and artwork (the same collection stored on NAS), no plugins support, plain DLNA/UPnP has the playlist on the controller, not the player, which is oh so wrong (can be mitigated with OpenHome via Bubble UPnP, but that also didn't work as elegantly as LMS in my case). To me, the overall DLNA/UPnP experience is very clunky compared to the LMS solution.

In theory we could find apts that output i2s through HDMI or write a module ourselves.  It's not going to be easy, but it's not completely out of the question.  Could be an interesting project!

See solution #4 here: http://www.dimdim.gr/2014/12/the-rasberry-pi-audio-out-through-i2s/
GPIO has I2S pins, and that is, for what I understand, the solution Allo uses for their HAT boards, where they take that signal and convert it into the USB or S/PDIF.

Now, not sure if Pi-9 does the same, but from how I read its specs and Jason's post on some old topic where this Pi-9 DIY solution was discussed, I'd guess it simply takes the regular signal from one USB port to uDSD DAC board (that's probably why the physical port itself is missing). So, this box leaves a bit of space to tinker with... And, then, again, Omnia is around the corner, and if done right from the software perspective, it will probably beat this solution hands down (I'm worried about the DLNA part, I'd be happy if it could run the LMS+Squeezelite solution on Linux, and still use the OAP chip from Linux OS). I'm hoping my dealer will get a demo unit in Munich to take home, so that we could check it all out.

UPDATE: I’ve just read the article to the end, and it claims I2S on the Pi is not precise enough, and that USB to I2S interface is maybe better to use... Also, comments below the aritcle are valuable bits of info, maybe I2S could be usable after all... Well, a lot to learn there with the Pi.
« Last Edit: 18 Apr 2019, 07:47 pm by zappan »

firedog

« Reply #8 on: 19 Apr 2019, 08:33 am »
Just want to make sure I understand what this is:
A Pi that NuPrime setup with a DAC board optimized for audio?

Questions:

Does it come with an OS installed? Or to use it do  I need to pick a suitable OS and install it? I assume it has an SD card slot for this?
Is adding an HD necessary for using it or optional if one wants lots of storage space?
Can I can use the HDMI out to attach an HDMI equipped screen? I'd probably look for a  7 or 10 inch touch screen.
« Last Edit: 19 Apr 2019, 03:39 pm by firedog »

JohnR

« Reply #9 on: 19 Apr 2019, 04:33 pm »
Does it come with an OS installed? Or to use it do  I need to pick a suitable OS and install it? I assume it has an SD card slot for this?

In the top view photo you can see an SD card installed (opposite end from the connectors). It would be interesting to know what's on it.

rustydoglim

« Reply #10 on: 20 Apr 2019, 12:28 am »
Yes, there is a NuPrime uDSD board inside the case with volume control and headphone output on the front panel.  Please refer to the product page for uDSD.

We only provide the hardware, we are unable to assist you with Rapsberry Pi setup.  You can find lots of those information online.
It comes with a version of Linux OS on it, and it works with uDSD as the DAC and headphone amp.
Therefore it is both a DLNA music server and a desktop DAC+headphone amp.

You will have to connect to external (there is space inside for mounting a hard drive) USB drive with music.  The SD card is for the OS, there isn't much space for music.

kazsud

« Reply #11 on: 9 Oct 2019, 07:34 pm »
Can this be gotten w/o the raspberry pi? I just bought a raspberry pi 4b

rustydoglim

« Reply #12 on: 11 Oct 2019, 07:12 pm »
The ports placement of Pi4 and Pi3 boards are not the same, so it won't fit properly at the back.

witchdoctor

« Reply #13 on: 14 Oct 2019, 04:18 am »
All I need is a device to stream tidal masters (mqa) files to a Pro-Ject RD2 preamp/dac. Would this device do the trick? My alternatives would be a PC (too big and not remote friendly), a Bryston BD Pi (around $1500) or a Bluesound Node via its optical out. Will it work with a remote or do I need a keyboard? Thanks