Evolution DAC

rustydoglim

Re: Evolution DAC
« Reply #240 on: 1 Apr 2019, 06:29 pm »
It really means a lot that I can personally ask Jason questions via email and he gives me a quick honest answers.  Combine this with  products I like to listen too and are competitively priced.... this is  the reason why I will always consider nuprime my first choice for my equipment.
Im getting this topic back to nuprime :)

Thanks. But sometimes I am too stright forward and forgot to put on my Sales hat, and I offended people. I have to be more on guard :)
Since I co-founded NuForce in 2005, I eschew a lot of the tranditional high-end practices (such as making each new generation more expensive). It is very difficult to pursue the value for money strategy when the high-end market keeps shrinking.  We see younger people coming into this hobbies in some part of Europe and Asia. A little sign of life in North America.  That's encouranging.

sresener

« Reply #241 on: 11 Apr 2019, 03:34 am »
Tracking says my dac will be here tomorrow   :D

How long of a break in time does the evo dac need (if any)

Samoyed

« Reply #242 on: 11 Apr 2019, 03:44 am »
None. Enjoy.

sresener

« Reply #243 on: 12 Apr 2019, 04:55 am »
Its all setup and ready to go

This thing is heavier than I expected Im wonding if there are some rocks inside :)

Samoyed

« Reply #244 on: 12 Apr 2019, 01:56 pm »
Well, post your impressions when you can.

sresener

« Reply #245 on: 13 Apr 2019, 12:49 am »
Well its going to take some time for me to develop opinions. And honestly my dac sound has changed considerably over the first 10hours (yes I didn't go to work today) I contracted hifiittis this morning.

But I can say is it will decode full mqa from tidal on a pc.

If I could nit pic...…. If I was selling a dac at this price point I would take the time to research all the dac options and explain exactly what everything does in a in depth manual.

Ill also add if I choose to turn the dac on last and off first I hear nothing at all come from my speakers.

I attached a pic of the dac playing from tidal

Samoyed

« Reply #246 on: 13 Apr 2019, 12:55 am »
The manual, what there is of it, is sparse. I posted that critique and got flapping and hissing for my trouble.

Samoyed

« Reply #247 on: 13 Apr 2019, 01:22 am »
Go back to December 18 and see if my review tracks your opinions. If you continue reading I did bring up the contents of the manual, and I see mine did “pop” around 10 hours in.

The manual and your comment reminds me of the old saw, “People in Hell want ice water.” 

Well, of course they do! 

sresener

« Reply #248 on: 19 Apr 2019, 04:17 am »
I noticed the Op-amps are interchangeable.
Does anyone know what Op-amps come with the evo dac.

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #249 on: 19 Apr 2019, 04:54 am »
I asked this on the very first pages and got no answer other than: if you don't know, don't mess with them.

I am building my own amps and pres, I do know, I would like an answer.

If they can be swapped for others for timbre change (digital tube rolling), this should be documented.  But, as noted, the manual basically explains how to turn the unit on... little more.

For a "reference" DAC, that certainly leaves a lot to be desired.

I have insisted that NuPrime pay attention to these details, but the answer is always: we spend the money on the equipment, not the commercial aspect.

It appears that Jason has an answer and "reason" for every critique or improvement comment one may share, so I have stoped making comments, and stopped buying this equipment.  Sad as that.  My eyes are pointing to houses that are more involved in the after-purchase interaction with their existing users.

Rafa.

sresener

« Reply #250 on: 19 Apr 2019, 05:12 am »
would I void warranty if I opened up the dac and looked at them then googled what I read :)

Samoyed

« Reply #251 on: 19 Apr 2019, 06:27 am »
You will both now get spanked. Sadly, i’m Also no longer a buyer.  :popcorn:

sresener

« Reply #252 on: 19 Apr 2019, 08:28 am »
You two are making me sad and I never met either of you personally.
  But I can say I  appreciated reading all your posts and to see this  negativity...…….

I truly enjoyed your review Rafta, right from you getting better totems because of a deal your first cork pads for them, really  your whole journey into hifi. I read every word. Same goes for you Samoyed

hmmmmm of topic.

Recently I bought some ifi products the first one was defective and the second was iffi in performanc. Ifi did nothing, I got to jump through hoops and it led to nowhere.

Another thing
I started researching other manufactures of class d amps and realized most of them take ice or hypex parts find a few other things, source a case and voila here is your amps that I bet Rafta could build on his own. On top of that they charge a small forturne for parts they did not develop they charge it because there oem and its hard for diy amp builders to buy.
And when I started asking some serious questions on there amps and Its funny how cagy and defensive one owner got, but guess what manufacturer had all the info I needed.

Im not saying there not wonderful amps I don't know I have not heard them.

Or take  ps audio he seems like a great guy on all his youtube videos but all he is doing is trying to sell ps audio and unfortunately  a lot of what he says can not be proven.

So nuprimes owner actively participates in this forum and I bet he answers a ton of emails from customers from around the world. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

If and when I have issues I go the person who sold me the equipment and so far Aamir from Summit Hifi has looked after me,  The fact that I can even get advice from Jason is icing on the cake.

……………………………………..
……………………………………….
Sorry guys you both bummed me out.

Samoyed

« Reply #253 on: 19 Apr 2019, 11:32 am »
I bet I’m more bummed out than you-before buying their gear, which I still think excellent. I noticed how snippy and high handed the guy was with some but my dealer was such a NICE guy I let it pass. Fast forward to my belief that a substantive manual was needed....fast forward to my belief that my Evo had “issues”....nothing but high handed treatment similar to what I blew off.

But, competition is a wonderful thing.

JohnR

« Reply #254 on: 19 Apr 2019, 02:30 pm »
Why do you keep posting? You said several times you were leaving or were done or words to that effect.

Samoyed

« Reply #255 on: 19 Apr 2019, 02:39 pm »
It’s a forum. I never stated nor implied I was leaving the forum. The equipment, as I’ve said many times, is very good.

Do you think Oliver Wendell Holmes was a smart guy?

He said debate is an important thing as it results in something useful.

Are you against debate?  🤯

Do you want me to say this guy Jason is even tempered and solicitous of consumers?😿

That was not my experience and maybe not Raf’s.

Do you think $3250 buys a substantive manual instead of something like you don’t need to know that or change it if you don’t know what it is?

As per Holmes, I think your right to be wrong serves a valid purpose on a FORUM where people learn from open, unchilled speech.

If you want to take public embarrassment from an ill tempered whatever, that’s fine with me but I won’t stand for it.

I’ll say it again. There are no perfect customers, only customers. You either want them, or you don’t.

JohnR

« Reply #256 on: 19 Apr 2019, 02:42 pm »
Well, I wonder what "You go your way, and I’ll go mine" (said to Jason) and "Adios" means then.

Anyway, I don't time or interest in engaging in your ludicrous arguments, so... adios.

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #257 on: 19 Apr 2019, 05:17 pm »
... Recently I bought some ifi products the first one was defective and the second was iffi in performanc. Ifi did nothing, I got to jump through hoops and it led to nowhere. ...

This is interesting.  They are incredibly well regarded and reviewed.  I have never heard one for myself, but, as the Audioquest Dragonfly, they are usually in the 'components to beat and measure all others with' category.  I myself have never had this urge to get those.

...  source a case and voila here is your amps that I bet Rafta could build on his own. On top of that they charge a small forturne for parts they did not develop they charge it because there oem and its hard for diy amp builders to buy.
And when I started asking some serious questions on there amps and Its funny how cagy and defensive one owner got, but guess what manufacturer had all the info I needed.

I agree!!! That's why I have turned into the DIY world, where geniuses like Nelson Pass are actually giving away their designs to the world.  You buy whatever part you feel is right, as expensive or as cheap as you are willing to go.  These are mostly class A beasts, some ABs and some even tubes.  But yes, exactly, you don't get charged at all!

... Or take  ps audio he seems like a great guy on all his youtube videos but all he is doing is trying to sell ps audio and unfortunately  a lot of what he says can not be proven.  ...
I find him quite a down-to-earth man.  Sometimes he says: "I didn't believe that changing a fuse would help, but they showed it to me and I couldn't believe my ears".  At least he is honest into what he thought and his confusion when things turn out differently.

Curiously enough, I have had your same feeling here, I'm sad to say.  I have always read Jason Lim's approach to things with great empathy and in the same "wavelength' as me: "guys, don't go buying $300 cables or $1000 fuses, they make little difference to the sound, invest in better amps or dacs or speakers!!".... Bravo!!! That's what I wanted to hear from a great manufacturer of great products... but wait: "no, no, no... wait, power does make a difference, just not THOSE cables or fuses, buy my own power regulator that I have now built".  Common... what happened?  Were was all this down-to-earth approach.  And when I ask technical stuff (precisely because the price of the regulator is not far from PS Audio regenerators which are a whole other ball game!) I got the same iffy results you claim from other manufacturers.  I really hated that.

And then came the EVO line, and even more iffy responses, specially regarding the claimed-to-be swappable OP-AMPS.  It would have taken 3 seconds to answer the type of op-amp, voltage getting to the chip and requirements.  Yet, I got a very elusive answer.  Perhaps they don't want you to know that all the amp is being done by a $2 chip?  No idea, if they had answered, I wouldn't have those suspicions. Why didn't they? Only they know. 

Sorry guys you both bummed me out.

I apologize for that.  I must say that I started very involved here: made lots of suggestions specially about the web page, promoting stuff, giving more technical info for those that want it (for instance, I finally got Jason to post that the ST-10s are phase inverting officially). I wrote my stories.   I love the nuprime products and they are the core of my system!  But I have changed my view in how they promote their stuff from "hey, I love their take and perspective" to "mmm... they are now goin backwards and they behave like other companies I don't agree with".

I am happy to be proven wrong! I would love nothing more than to get back into the nuPrime wagon and be happy with every product out there and convinced it was the best option for my hard saved money.  The current line-up does not reflect this feeling from me.

I still think there is usefulness in sharing those feelings, but, part of the issues, is that any negative opinion or direct comparison to a similar product from other brand gets banned here quicker than Notre Dame's ceiling burning away.  I don't think that's healthy.  I think it would be great that people were faced with the pros and cons and decided by themselves which to keep.  If you are only presented with pros, you start wondering what cons they are hiding.  If no one is allowed to compare (positively or negatively) to similar equipment, how do you make up your mind?

Perhaps it was THAT attitude that first started to push me away from NuPrime.  Jason, please, please! Let people say bad things, let people compare to other products.  If you have the best out there, it will come through (obviously you cannot always please everyone!).  But if you prevent people from voicing dislike of better options, you are not favoring a healthy environment.  Win because your products are the best, not because you keep others in the dark about other options.

That is my take to my work as well, and I have sent people to my competing software because they were better fit for them.  I would expect everyone to be like that and we would have a much healthier group and less people unhappy with their choices.

That is my take on this.  Nothing more,
Best regards,
Rafa.

rustydoglim

« Reply #258 on: 20 Apr 2019, 12:12 am »
And then came the EVO line, and even more iffy responses, specially regarding the claimed-to-be swappable OP-AMPS.  It would have taken 3 seconds to answer the type of op-amp, voltage getting to the chip and requirements.  Yet, I got a very elusive answer.  Perhaps they don't want you to know that all the amp is being done by a $2 chip?  No idea, if they had answered, I wouldn't have those suspicions. Why didn't they? Only they know. 

Rafa, please, we are a tiny bitsy lttle company where we do too many things. I apologise to anyone on this forum if I sounded too "whatever" that makes you feel that I have ignored you or don't answer your question, that was never my intend.  Sometimes I am too stressed out (sales in high end audio is terrible to be honest), wondering where we are going to make ends meet, stressed about new products not coming out sooner, on and on. I am only human. 

With regards to your repeated question about Evo DAC op-amp, is entirely my fault.  I have been too busy and stretched with too much work and forgot to chase after our chief engineer to get some documentation.  Another reason for slow to come forward with such info is that we obvioisly think that the opamp that we put it offers the best sound. Therefore we really don't know what to recommend.

I will try to get some info - promise, this is on my to-do list.

rustydoglim

« Reply #259 on: 20 Apr 2019, 12:40 am »
would I void warranty if I opened up the dac and looked at them then googled what I read :)

No, you won't. As I have promised Rafi, it is my bad for not answering his question.  If you have something in mind, create a topic "EVO DAC Opamp customisation" here: https://nuoem.com/forum/nuprime-brand/
I started a manufacturer forum for more technical discussions.  But you post your question here too.