$2000 Power amps to drive Maggies

Paul McNeil

Re: $2000 Power amps to drive Maggies
« Reply #40 on: 6 Oct 2015, 02:49 am »
Try a $375 Crown 2500 (770 watts into 4 ohm). It only weighs 13b, so, if after a blind tasting, against a $2000 amp, you judge it negatively, you can return to Amazon at minimal cost. Big possible potential savings though...

geowak

« Reply #41 on: 6 Oct 2015, 04:36 pm »
I have had the McCormack DNA- 125, an Odyssey Stratos and own the A21. By far the A21 is the best with my Maggies. I would say the Pass would be in another league above these amps. I would only consider the Parasound and the Pass. I had problems with the other two amps.

josh358

« Reply #42 on: 8 Oct 2015, 01:50 am »
Glad to read that, because I just got an A-21 myself. I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet because my washing machine overflowed and I had to repair the water damage, and after seeing someone call the A-21 grainy in an early post, I was afraid I'd made a mistake -- I hate grainy amps.

josh358

« Reply #43 on: 8 Oct 2015, 02:07 am »
Try a $375 Crown 2500 (770 watts into 4 ohm). It only weighs 13b, so, if after a blind tasting, against a $2000 amp, you judge it negatively, you can return to Amazon at minimal cost. Big possible potential savings though...
Thank you! These are now down to $299 and there are only 18 left -- 17 now, since I bought one. It should be a great amp for my Tympani woofers, with the A-21 on the mid/tweeter panels. I'm skeptical of the highs on most Class D amps, but they're great for bass. Still, I'm curious, so I'll try swapping it with the A-21 to see how it does.

They're so cheap I'm tempted to buy two and bridge them . . .

Paul McNeil

« Reply #44 on: 8 Oct 2015, 10:12 pm »
Thank you! These are now down to $299 and there are only 18 left -- 17 now, since I bought one. It should be a great amp for my Tympani woofers, with the A-21 on the mid/tweeter panels. I'm skeptical of the highs on most Class D amps, but they're great for bass. Still, I'm curious, so I'll try swapping it with the A-21 to see how it does.

They're so cheap I'm tempted to buy two and bridge them . . .

Bridging would be evil!

Yes, the bass is great (controlled) due to characteristically high damping factor. I think that everything else is fine too, based on my ears. Measurements won't reveal the defects, that's for sure.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #45 on: 8 Oct 2015, 10:32 pm »
Really good synergy with Mags and Maraschino amps....  DC coupling gives you solid bass, and the imaging is simply wonderful.

Driving Mags mentioned here:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=127654.0

We have a few 48V (upgradeable) Desktop Maraschino demos in stock, less than $1500.  We also have a pair of hanging Maraschinos (a.k.a. In-Line) for less than $1000!

Send me a PM if you're interested.  Good luck either way.  We love Magnepan!

-Tommy O

josh358

« Reply #46 on: 8 Oct 2015, 10:35 pm »
Bridging would be evil!

Yes, the bass is great (controlled) due to characteristically high damping factor. I think that everything else is fine too, based on my ears. Measurements won't reveal the defects, that's for sure.
Man, bridging these sounds scary. :-) You could power a small city that way. I actually did end up ordering two, because otherwise I would have ended up staying up all night wondering if I should. So I'll sell my Emotiva, which I was planning to sell anyway, and come out even, except that I'll have two amps instead of one.

I've been reading through reviews and it looks like these really do have good sonics. I'm not planning to use them on the high end where Class D gets iffy, but it will be be interesting to compare them to the A-21. And they should rock in the bass!

They're going fast, too -- one friend ordered two for himself, another ordered two and the smaller 1000 (still a big amp) for his son -- that's another great bargain, only $179 on Amazon. Amazon should give you a commission!

Paul McNeil

« Reply #47 on: 8 Oct 2015, 11:12 pm »
I've been reading through reviews and it looks like these really do have good sonics. I'm not planning to use them on the high end where Class D gets iffy, but it will be be interesting to compare them to the A-21.

Please, let me (us) know your thoughts, on the high end of these 'pro' D class amps. I'm old, and have much experience with dated, full class A and class A/B amps. And I tried couple of these with my Maggie 1.7s (not in the $2000 range; see previous post; http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=137402.msg1461666#msg1461666). Their highs were not superior, for me. Overheating and clipping were a problem, but they are, again, old, and may not be representative at all.

The measured numbers however are on the side of class D. Objective testing, e.g. 'blinded' listening, is not a part of the 'audiophile' rating scale. It should be. 'Blind tasting' took California wines, in the 60s, from derision, to world class, overnight!

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #48 on: 8 Oct 2015, 11:45 pm »
Please, let me (us) know your thoughts, on the high end of these 'pro' D class amps. I'm old, and have much experience with dated, full class A and class A/B amps. And I tried couple of these with my Maggie 1.7s (not in the $2000 range; see previous post; http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=137402.msg1461666#msg1461666). Their highs were not superior, for me. Overheating and clipping were a problem, but they are, again, old, and may not be representative at all.

The measured numbers however are on the side of class D. Objective testing, e.g. 'blinded' listening, is not a part of the 'audiophile' rating scale. It should be. 'Blind tasting' took California wines, in the 60s, from derision, to world class, overnight!
These cheap Class-D amps are what gives Class-D a bad name.  Why compromise to save a few bucks?  Ultra-high performance is only possible with experience and proper implementation.  When Class-D is done RIGHT (very uncommon), the results are superior in many ways to other types of amps (Class-A/AB, tubes).  Also, bench measurements can appear excellent with some newer Class-D amps, but this is done with gobs of negative feedback resulting in what I call ADCOM-ish Class-AB harshness.  Just my 2-cents, but someone out there is likely to try and bite my head off because I speak my mind.  Thanks for reading my post.  (:

josh358

« Reply #49 on: 8 Oct 2015, 11:49 pm »

Thanks for the URL, that was an interesting post. I'm as curious as you are. There are so many variables in a setup like this that it's hard to make a fair comparison, Older amps may be need to be refurbished to sound their best (precision resistors and caps replaced, bias adjusted, etc.) It looks like there was something wrong with your Adcom -- it should have been able to do much more than 90 dB SPL! So not a fair comparison.

In ABX tests, modern conventional power amps can't be distinguished *if* they're operated within their linear range and frequency response is tweaked to compensate for impedance interactions. That definitely wasn't true when I was young and amps were comparatively primitive! Then, the differences were positively in your face. I'm not sure, though, that anyone tried this experiment with Class D amps, which are a different beast. And I'm not convinced that ABX tests are completely revealing of sonic differences, either, for reasons I won't go into here. In any case, there's nothing that says that a Class D amp can't be an audibly perfect device within its operating range. The audible problems have had to do with practical design issues and some Class D amps have a reputation for good sonics while others don't. So I'll be really curious to try this.

Meanwhile, a friend here emailed me to say that he'd tried the Crown pro amps (didn't say which ones) and that they did well with the MMG's but made the bass of the 3.7's weird. Perhaps because the MMG's can't be payed very loud without distorting? (I used to have a pair -- great speakers but not loud ones). So we'll have to see. I can always send them back to Amazon if they don't work out. Maggies are an easy load for a high current amp, but they're really revealing of problems with electronics.

josh358

« Reply #50 on: 8 Oct 2015, 11:54 pm »
These cheap Class-D amps are what gives Class-D a bad name.  Why compromise to save a few bucks?  Ultra-high performance is only possible with experience and proper implementation.  When Class-D is done RIGHT (very uncommon), the results are superior in many ways to other types of amps (Class-A/AB, tubes).  Also, bench measurements can appear excellent with some newer Class-D amps, but this is done with gobs of negative feedback resulting in what I call ADCOM-ish Class-AB harshness.  Just my 2-cents, but someone out there is likely to try and bite my head off because I speak my mind.  Thanks for reading my post.  (:
I've heard some awful Class D amps. Have you heard the Crowns, though? The remarks I'm seeing are variable as usual but there are a lot of comments that say they punch way above their price class.

I'm not planning to run these over 250 Hz but out of curiosity, I'm going to try running them full range and comparing them to the A-21.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #51 on: 9 Oct 2015, 12:32 am »
Please take a look at this review:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=127654.msg1380885#msg1380885

This customer later upgraded to 3.7i with excellent results.  He says he's experiencing the best sound he's ever heard.

In any case, we have a trial period in case you'd like to try Maraschinos risk-free.  They are priced very low considering the level of refinement.  Thanks again.

-Tommy O

Paul McNeil

« Reply #52 on: 9 Oct 2015, 12:33 am »
I suggest doing the 'blind' tasting, which has revealed, google it (age old argument, subjectivity versus objectivity), that 'golden ears' when thus challenged can't distinguish lamp cord from $100 a foot cable, or the cheapest receiver from high end preamp/amp. I'm a scientist, sorry, I'm into measurements and objectivity. And when humans are involved in a sensory (visual usually, or in this case auditory) rating, it has to be 'blinded', e.g. without knowledge of the decision maker of whether the specimen is the positive or negative control, or, in this case, expensive or inexpensive 'brand'.

josh358

« Reply #53 on: 9 Oct 2015, 12:58 am »
I suggest doing the 'blind' tasting, which has revealed, google it (age old argument, subjectivity versus objectivity), that 'golden ears' when thus challenged can't distinguish lamp cord from $100 a foot cable, or the cheapest receiver from high end preamp/amp. I'm a scientist, sorry, I'm into measurements and objectivity. And when humans are involved in a sensory (visual usually, or in this case auditory) rating, it has to be 'blinded', e.g. without knowledge of the decision maker of whether the specimen is the positive or negative control, or, in this case, expensive or inexpensive 'brand'.
I'm a big believer in blind testing (and so incidentally is Magnepan -- they won't put anything in their speakers until its been preferred by listening panels in a blind AB test, which I think is one of the reasons their new models are so reliably improvements over the old). And very aware of the research on confirmation bias -- Harman forex did a study in which subjects rated a cheap-looking speaker lower than an expensive looking one when they could see them, but not when they couldn't -- and this applied to every kind of listener, including audio engineers who were convinced that they were immune to such things!

And then there's the story of the student who arranged an AB comparison between a tube amp and a transistor amp, and all the tube fans preferred the tube amp while the transistor fans preferred the transistor amp -- until a professor opened up the box and noted that the switch didn't actually do anything.

Unfortunately, blind testing is kind of hard to carry out, I'd love to AB the two amps but that would require switching equipment that I don't have. So I typically use tricks to try to get around the subjective element, e.g., I'll ask people who don't know or care anything about audio what they think of an arrangement. Or I'll make my observations and then if the reviewer makes the same observation as they frequently do, it gives me confidence in my own.

But often, I just don't know -- am I really hearing a difference, or is it just my confirmation bias?

There are also limitations in the ABX switchbox. From a scientific perspective, it can demonstrate only one thing -- that a listener can observe a difference to a high degree of probability in a particular setup, or that he can't, *in that particular setup.* As with any experiment, there are numerous potential pitfalls, and while some experimenters are rigorous, many or not. So in general I find ABXing more useful for demonstrating that you *can* hear differences as demonstrating that you can't.

One illustration of this kind of limitation -- a study was conducted to assess the audibility of a lossy audio encoding scheme. Subjects were unable to hear it. Then an expert listener was brought in, and immediately and reliably identified which was which, because with his trained ears, he was able to hone in on the flaw.

Well, I could write a lot more on this but as I said I want to avoid that (already broke my promise, I guess). But I'd close with an observation which is that ABX testing usually *does* confirm that people can hear differences between equipment. Things that have been successfully ABX'd include sampling rate, power amps (subject to the conditions I mentioned), and op amps (as I recall correctly, the op amp in question didn't become audible until three are in series -- but it was common to have numerous op amps in the old analog recording consoles, and in the early days, some of them were seriously prone to slew limiting, e.g., the old 741).

And I have heard stuff that just would not show up in a typical ABX test -- some of it quite obvious. To use a blatant example, my right computer speaker buzzes sometimes, *only* on piano music and only when it's loud. Someone who didn't know that could ABX my left and right computer speakers all day and never hear a difference. And I can think of other such phenomena in audio, none of them mysterioso -- forex, a power supply flaw in the old Hafler DH-200 (identified years ago by Walt Jung in The Audio Amateur), resonances in planar drivers that are only audible on certain notes.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #54 on: 9 Oct 2015, 03:24 am »
Great post!   I agree ---- science!

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #55 on: 9 Oct 2015, 03:30 am »
I'm a big believer in blind testing (and so incidentally is Magnepan -- they won't put anything in their speakers until its been preferred by listening panels in a blind AB test, which I think is one of the reasons their new models are so reliably improvements over the old). And very aware of the research on confirmation bias -- Harman forex did a study in which subjects rated a cheap-looking speaker lower than an expensive looking one when they could see them, but not when they couldn't -- and this applied to every kind of listener, including audio engineers who were convinced that they were immune to such things!

And then there's the story of the student who arranged an AB comparison between a tube amp and a transistor amp, and all the tube fans preferred the tube amp while the transistor fans preferred the transistor amp -- until a professor opened up the box and noted that the switch didn't actually do anything.

Unfortunately, blind testing is kind of hard to carry out, I'd love to AB the two amps but that would require switching equipment that I don't have. So I typically use tricks to try to get around the subjective element, e.g., I'll ask people who don't know or care anything about audio what they think of an arrangement. Or I'll make my observations and then if the reviewer makes the same observation as they frequently do, it gives me confidence in my own.

But often, I just don't know -- am I really hearing a difference, or is it just my confirmation bias?

There are also limitations in the ABX switchbox. From a scientific perspective, it can demonstrate only one thing -- that a listener can observe a difference to a high degree of probability in a particular setup, or that he can't, *in that particular setup.* As with any experiment, there are numerous potential pitfalls, and while some experimenters are rigorous, many or not. So in general I find ABXing more useful for demonstrating that you *can* hear differences as demonstrating that you can't.

One illustration of this kind of limitation -- a study was conducted to assess the audibility of a lossy audio encoding scheme. Subjects were unable to hear it. Then an expert listener was brought in, and immediately and reliably identified which was which, because with his trained ears, he was able to hone in on the flaw.

Well, I could write a lot more on this but as I said I want to avoid that (already broke my promise, I guess). But I'd close with an observation which is that ABX testing usually *does* confirm that people can hear differences between equipment. Things that have been successfully ABX'd include sampling rate, power amps (subject to the conditions I mentioned), and op amps (as I recall correctly, the op amp in question didn't become audible until three are in series -- but it was common to have numerous op amps in the old analog recording consoles, and in the early days, some of them were seriously prone to slew limiting, e.g., the old 741).

And I have heard stuff that just would not show up in a typical ABX test -- some of it quite obvious. To use a blatant example, my right computer speaker buzzes sometimes, *only* on piano music and only when it's loud. Someone who didn't know that could ABX my left and right computer speakers all day and never hear a difference. And I can think of other such phenomena in audio, none of them mysterioso -- forex, a power supply flaw in the old Hafler DH-200 (identified years ago by Walt Jung in The Audio Amateur), resonances in planar drivers that are only audible on certain notes.
Good point about the ABX!  The switch box itself is inherently flawed.

One of the most important factors in blind tests is gain matching.

No such thing as a perfect comparison. Audio is as subjective as it gets.

I've often thought about using EEG to measure pleasure level.  Now....  Which one made you feel best while listening?   Hey, I could've been thinking better thoughts at some point, skewing the result.  Great post.  Thanks!

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #56 on: 9 Oct 2015, 04:48 am »
I'm afraid that can't agree with the recommendations for Crown.  In my system it sounded exactly like what it was, a cheap amp with limited musicality. 
The original poster has a decent budget and an initial list that was well researched.  I'd stick to that list and add a couple more- including Cherry and N-Core.  All can be had for under $2k used. 

sfdoddsy

« Reply #57 on: 9 Oct 2015, 05:30 am »
I've been using a Crown Xti with great success for a few years now, including with Maggie 1.7s and MMGs.

If there is a sonic difference between it and the more expensive amps I've tried I can't hear it.

Even better, the Xti and some other pro models have built-in EQ so you can correct speaker or room issues.

Mine is universal voltage so it works in Australia just fine.

Cost me $200.

The price difference between it and some of the other suggestions here is enough to upgrade to the next higher up Maggie.

I know what I'd do.

lowtech

« Reply #58 on: 9 Oct 2015, 05:37 am »
While I can't recommend the Crown amps, they can be had on Amazon right now for a fraction of their recent retail price.
They're going fast.  Maybe they'll restock?

sfdoddsy

« Reply #59 on: 9 Oct 2015, 09:44 am »
As I said, the Crowns (and their pro brethren) may or may not be the best amps you can get. But the fact that the differences between them and some of the more audiophile approved amps are debatable at all indicates that they are, in the broad scheme of things, relatively minor.

Whereas no-one (I hope) would debate that the difference between the MMGs and the 1.7s is immediately obvious. Ditto the difference between the 1.7s and the 3.7s.

So, if you have MMGs, you can pay $1500 over the cost of a Crown for no difference or at best a minor one. Or you can use that $1500 to buy obviously better 1.7s. If you have 1.7s, that $1500 could buy used 3.7s.

As I said, if I had limited funds I know where I'd invest them.