Magnepan LRS

AvsFan

Re: Magnepan LRS
« Reply #60 on: 7 Jun 2019, 05:25 pm »
I am going to need this amp soon. My 80 watt per channel NuForce STA-200 isn't going to cut it. I think it is clipping when I turn the volume up on it and it is getting so hot that I can fry an egg on it. When I was using this on my ZU's, it didn't even get warm.

AvsFan

« Reply #61 on: 7 Jun 2019, 05:35 pm »

josh358

« Reply #62 on: 7 Jun 2019, 05:49 pm »
Nice!

AvsFan

« Reply #63 on: 7 Jun 2019, 05:58 pm »
Nice!

Yep! I am loving them! Haven't been getting much work done since picking them up on Wed. Going downstairs right now to listen to some Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash!
I know they will break in and sound even better with some time on them and when I add my new amp, they will shine with more power. 

johnto

« Reply #64 on: 7 Jun 2019, 06:22 pm »
Very nice. Keep us posted as you get more playing time on them.

AvsFan

« Reply #65 on: 7 Jun 2019, 07:30 pm »
Very nice. Keep us posted as you get more playing time on them.

That's just the thing, I can't stop listening to them. I work from home and have been distracted all day long. LOL

josh358

« Reply #66 on: 7 Jun 2019, 08:25 pm »
But you can tell yourself you're working hard to burn them in. :-)

steve k

« Reply #67 on: 8 Jun 2019, 05:35 pm »
Congratulations!!

mick wolfe

« Reply #68 on: 8 Jun 2019, 07:45 pm »
I am going to need this amp soon. My 80 watt per channel NuForce STA-200 isn't going to cut it. I think it is clipping when I turn the volume up on it and it is getting so hot that I can fry an egg on it. When I was using this on my ZU's, it didn't even get warm.

Yep, had that NuForce in system for about 2 weeks.  Sent it back within the 30 day audition period. (AudioAdvisor) Maybe with the "right" speaker, but it simply wasn't as good as the Classdaudio SDS 254 I had at that time. This driving the 4 ohm Spatial M2 Turbo I've mentioned in this thread. Apparently it doesn't like 4 ohm loads. :? I don't believe a 4 ohm power rating is ever mentioned in the NuForce specs either.

JackD

« Reply #69 on: 8 Jun 2019, 09:17 pm »
Even the Nuforce's "big brother" the Job 225 doesn't like difficult 4 ohm loads.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #70 on: 9 Jun 2019, 10:07 am »
My guess is they sound like scaled down 1.7s.
Is this correct?

Emil

« Reply #71 on: 9 Jun 2019, 12:15 pm »

josh358

« Reply #72 on: 9 Jun 2019, 12:40 pm »
Anyone want a  pair NOW!

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649529859-magnepan-lrsblack-clothoak-side-rails/
I don't get it. Why doesn't he just return it to Magnepan for the full refund? Guess he's really in trouble and needs the money right away . . .

johnto

« Reply #73 on: 9 Jun 2019, 02:32 pm »
He could have purchased from a dealer that just offers credit . Also not sure who pays return postage if it was a direct purchase. He's also giving someone nearby a chance at avoiding a wait.

josh358

« Reply #74 on: 9 Jun 2019, 03:50 pm »
He could have purchased from a dealer that just offers credit . Also not sure who pays return postage if it was a direct purchase. He's also giving someone nearby a chance at avoiding a wait.
Good point -- I think it's the buyer who pays return postage and it's something like $60, so if he can sell these for $600 and the buyer pays postage he's ahead.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #75 on: 9 Jun 2019, 06:33 pm »
I guess that no one has heard both the 1.7s and LRS speakers and can offer a comparison?

josh358

« Reply #76 on: 9 Jun 2019, 06:57 pm »
I haven't. All I know is that the LRS will play louder, go deeper, and has better highs because of the supertweeter.

Steve Guttenberg did compare the LRS and .7, and said the .7 played louder, went deeper (surprise, surprise), and was nicer in the midrange.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #77 on: 9 Jun 2019, 09:25 pm »
I have Magnepan 1.7i as one of my reference speaker pairs.  I had MMGs for years and upgraded.

Question is: How does LRS compare to MMG or even 1.7i?  Regarding amplification, are these still "hard to drive" at medium-high volume?  Can they handle rock music?

One of my amplifier torture tests is to play the song Zombie at nearly max volume.  The 1.7i was such a step up in performance, especially in the bass -- no sub needed for most listeners with DC coupled amps and direct drive from a DC coupled DAC.  I wonder if getting a pair of LRS would be a good move since they are such an outstanding value.

I'd like to hear from people who actually own a pair (or more)....

josh358

« Reply #78 on: 9 Jun 2019, 09:51 pm »
I have Magnepan 1.7i as one of my reference speaker pairs.  I had MMGs for years and upgraded.

Question is: How does LRS compare to MMG or even 1.7i?  Regarding amplification, are these still "hard to drive" at medium-high volume?  Can they handle rock music?

One of my amplifier torture tests is to play the song Zombie at nearly max volume.  The 1.7i was such a step up in performance, especially in the bass -- no sub needed for most listeners with DC coupled amps and direct drive from a DC coupled DAC.  I wonder if getting a pair of LRS would be a good move since they are such an outstanding value.

I'd like to hear from people who actually own a pair (or more)....
I can answer some of this. The LRS is superior to the MMG -- it sounds more like a .7 Maggie, with a stat-like clarity rather than the veiling that the MMG had. However, the price of that is that it is a harder load for the amp than the MMG. The MMG was designed to work with inexpensive receivers, but that necessitated some sonic compromises. By way of contrast, the LRS is designed to work with amplifiers that can put out enough current to drive a load that drops below 4 ohms.

It doesn't go deep though -- like the MMG it's spec'd to 50 Hz. You need a larger baffle for that. Also, according to Wendell Diller, it's too small to couple in large rooms and starts sounding like a midrange and tweeter. So it would need a sub in those circumstances. I think whether it would work with rock, which doesn't usually have deep bass, would depend on how loud you like to listen.

rbclark

« Reply #79 on: 9 Jun 2019, 11:49 pm »
I have my 1st set of Magnepans (LRS) on order.  I've read here and there about room size, but I don't know what makes small, medium or large.
Mine's 12x20. The ceiling is 12ft. Is this a small, medium or large room? Would you recommend a sub along with the LRS in this space?

By the way, I'll be using Emotiva Stealth PA-1 monoblocks fed from my HT receiver. I'd appreciate any thoughts on this combo.

BTW, I've been following this thread pretty much since it started. Is there a way to be notified when there are new posts?

Thanks!