Bryston Digital Amplifiers

R. Daneel, Don_S and 7 Guests are viewing this topic. Read 750 times.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Bryston Digital Amplifiers
« on: 6 Jul 2024, 09:32 am »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
Re: Bryston Digital Amplifiers
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jul 2024, 09:32 am »
Hi Folks

“Your Digital amplifier just impressed a LOT of very important people in Hollywood.

Including one of the senior audio techs at Warner Bros and William Feightner (the inventor of digital film, who ended up selling his company to Technicolor and earned an Oscar along the way).

The amplifier fills the room from corner to corner with tons of headroom to spare, and our audio has never sounded better!”

Best,
Scott

R. Daneel

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jul 2024, 12:38 pm »
Hi James!

The amps look good!

Would you say that the 125Wpc is a direct replacement for the now discontinued 135Wpc 2.5B? Do you see Bryston switching to class-D and completely ditching the class-A/B in the future?

All the best,
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jul 2024, 12:49 pm »
Hi James!

The amps look good!

Would you say that the 125Wpc is a direct replacement for the now discontinued 135Wpc 2.5B? Do you see Bryston switching to class-D and completely ditching the class-A/B in the future?

All the best,
Antun

Hi Antun

No we will always offer our current Class AB amps - Class D has its place but not ready yet to take over from Class AB in our opinion - at least with our amplifiers - I can not speak for others.

james

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jul 2024, 12:50 pm »
Send one to Amir for testing.

zeeman

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jul 2024, 03:16 pm »
Send one to Amir for testing.

God no, that guys an idiot.  I once watched one of his reviews where he knew he had a used and likely damaged/defective product and blamed the manufacturer for releasing a piece of crap, despite refusing to contact them to see if it needed service.  His methodology is highly suspect.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #6 on: 10 Jul 2024, 03:59 pm »
Oh dear, oh dear.

DannyBadorine

« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 03:20 am »
What exactly is a "digital" amplifier?

Jozsef

« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 04:40 am »
Class D, sometimes called digital, is a very efficient amplifier topology. It's not new and it's primarily about maximizing output power at an attractive cost in weight, heat production and power consumption. It would not surprise me if Bryston's new products in this area have superior sonic performance to most or all others of the type, but I can only guess.

R. Daneel

« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 08:57 am »
God no, that guys an idiot.  I once watched one of his reviews where he knew he had a used and likely damaged/defective product and blamed the manufacturer for releasing a piece of crap, despite refusing to contact them to see if it needed service.  His methodology is highly suspect.

Is that your professional opinion?

R. Daneel

« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 08:59 am »
Hi Antun

No we will always offer our current Class AB amps - Class D has its place but not ready yet to take over from Class AB in our opinion - at least with our amplifiers - I can not speak for others.

james

That's good to know, James!

Thanks!
Cheers - Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 10:52 am »

Hi Danny

A Class D or sometimes referred too as a Digital amplifier actually outputs an Analog signal.
The amplifier section though instead of being analog is what is called a Switching Amp. It Samples the waveform and reconstructs the waveform at the output - much like a DAC.

james

zeeman

« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 02:56 pm »
Is that your professional opinion?

Yes.  Any reviewer who knowingly reviews used gear and then blames the poor performance on the manufacturer's design, without confirming if said product might need service, and admitting they never bothered to contact the manufacturer, is an idiot.  The methodology is so obviously flawed that no thinking person would take the result seriously.

R. Daneel

« Reply #13 on: Today at 11:18 am »
Yes.  Any reviewer who knowingly reviews used gear and then blames the poor performance on the manufacturer's design, without confirming if said product might need service, and admitting they never bothered to contact the manufacturer, is an idiot.  The methodology is so obviously flawed that no thinking person would take the result seriously.

Unless I am very much mistaken, the fellow in question is an electronic design engineer. What do you do for a living?

cheesey

« Reply #14 on: Today at 01:25 pm »
Another class d convert....

zeeman

« Reply #15 on: Today at 02:45 pm »
Unless I am very much mistaken, the fellow in question is an electronic design engineer. What do you do for a living?

It doesn't matter what someone does for a living or what field they were trained in.  Flawed methodology invalidates their results on that particular issue.

gene9p

« Reply #16 on: Today at 02:59 pm »
I had a PS Audio Stellar s300  and was VERY impressed. They recommended using the xlr outputs which I did to my Vinnie Rossi LIO and out to my then speakers the Harbeth C7's. I'm sure the Bryston's sound as good if not better. Talk about a dead quiet background and the music just hanging in the air..wow..but as usual I moved on...lol

R. Daneel

« Reply #17 on: Today at 08:10 pm »
It doesn't matter what someone does for a living or what field they were trained in.  Flawed methodology invalidates their results on that particular issue.

It doesn't? If I were a bridge designer conducting a safety test on a bridge to verify how much it buckles under wind load and you were a truck driver who drives across the bridge, would you be able to tell my methodology was incorrect just on the basis of your superficial observation? For all you know, as a bridge designer, I may have never actually crossed the bridge and I would still know infinitesimaly more about how it behaves even if you crossed it every day.

More to the point - I asked whether that was your professional opinion. You said 'yes'. You are clearly not an electronic design engineer so it is funny to me how can you have a professional opinion on something that is outside of your profession.

If you are going to call someone an idiot, publicly and in their absense, you are inviting criticism. This is how 'forum' works. While it is true that everyone is entitled to an opinion, it is even more true that not all opinions are equally important. Your opinion might have had more validity if not for the unnecessary vulgarity which, mind you, also might be viewed as a form of idiocy.