streaming audio

martyo

streaming audio
« on: 5 Oct 2006, 04:54 pm »
One of the many types of music I enjoy are jam bands. The Dead from the old days and String Cheese now are a couple. Thousands of concerts are on the internet archive and the better quality shows are only available for streaming. I'd like to hook a computer to my stereo. I've googled and found sound cards for under $100 to $6-7000. Can anyone steer me to legit sources for information and product. And I am aware we're not talking about super high fidelity and high definetion sources here, I just like the music.
thanks
martyo

tbrooke

Re: streaming audio
« Reply #1 on: 5 Oct 2006, 11:58 pm »
Try getting a squeezebox from slimdevices (slimdevices.com) I recently got one and love it. You don't need a sound card just connect the squeezebox into a network with your computer and plug it into your stereo. I use the digital output but they have analog. One of there streaming sources is the Internet live music archive that has lots of Grateful Dead, String Cheese etc.

Tom

avahifi

« Reply #2 on: 7 Oct 2006, 01:34 pm »
My prototype tech uses the following unit with excellent results.  It plugs into a USB port on your computer and has both audio and standard digital outputs.  Coming out the digital out into our Ultra DAC and then on to the system provides playback of uncompressed material stored on the computer the equal to any other CD source.  Using the analog audio outputs is not anywhere as musical as you are then using a tiny everything on one chip D to A and filter and analog output circuit.

The unit is called "Instant Music" and is made by ADS Tech.  It is available at our local CompUSA for $50, and Dean says he has purchased  them on sale for $30.

Frank Van Alstine

plaf26

« Reply #3 on: 7 Oct 2006, 03:22 pm »
I haven't tried it yet, but my new MacBook has an optical digital output which should then be able to go into Frank's DACs through the TOSLINK converter he offers if I understand his post correctly.  Good enough excuse to switch or get a new computer aa?

CE2

« Reply #4 on: 7 Oct 2006, 08:10 pm »
 :P But what power cord should then be used on the computer?

Listens2tubes

« Reply #5 on: 7 Oct 2006, 09:45 pm »
A cryo'd cord obviously. aa

martyo

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jan 2007, 12:36 pm »
An update for anyone interested. For Christmas I received a Linksys Wireless-G Music Bridge. We already had a wireless router and this unit "bridges" from that router and desktop upstairs to the stereo downstairs. It connects to the Super Pas 3i right now with RCA's but also has optical and coax digital outputs for later when the DAC gets added to the system as Frank suggested. Also an ethernet jack for hard wiring and for those that would use one, a built in equalizer. I use it for streaming live concerts from the Internet Archive so we're not talking here about super high level source material so sonically I can't say what the unit might contribute. On the better source material I do enjoy listening to the full range and with dynamics that more resemble the actual concert than on the computer. It was less than $100. I'm enyoying it and would recommend it for this type of application. It did take my wife almost 3 hours to get it integrated to the system and she is an IT person but no gliches so far.

thanks

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #7 on: 5 Jan 2007, 01:31 pm »
The advantage I see with the Squeeze Box is in providing remote display/control.  If you're not in the same room as the computer, or you're lazy and don't want to get out of your chair even if the computer is "convenient".  The Squeeze Box can be modded for better sound, use it as part of the transport only by adding a better DAC to it , or both.  Besides the Squeeze Box has a digital realm volume control (plus access to internet audio streaming) so unless you have vinyl, FM, SACD, or other sources it makes a pre-amp optional.

Yes, by all means move the D/A processor out of the computer.

TjMV3

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jan 2007, 02:33 pm »
My prototype tech uses the following unit with excellent results.  It plugs into a USB port on your computer and has both audio and standard digital outputs.  Coming out the digital out into our Ultra DAC and then on to the system provides playback of uncompressed material stored on the computer the equal to any other CD source.  Using the analog audio outputs is not anywhere as musical as you are then using a tiny everything on one chip D to A and filter and analog output circuit.

The unit is called "Instant Music" and is made by ADS Tech.  It is available at our local CompUSA for $50, and Dean says he has purchased  them on sale for $30.

Frank Van Alstine

Are these the right ones?  Here's a few on-line shops that have it.  There seems to be two different ones.  One which transports the music to your DAC and one the aids in recording from external sources.

ADS Tech Instant Music (RDX-150)   This one seems to be the correct one.

http://www.amazon.com/ADS-Tech-Instant-Music-RDX-150/dp/B00065AO9Q/sr=8-1/qid=1168006319/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-2247850-2075336?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

ADS Technologies RDX-150-EF Instant Music for Mac and PC

http://www.amazon.com/ADS-Technologies-RDX-150-EF-Instant-Music/dp/B00067TMGA/sr=8-2/qid=1168006319/ref=pd_bbs_2/102-2247850-2075336?ie=UTF8&s=electronics
« Last Edit: 5 Jan 2007, 02:47 pm by TjMV3 »

tomjtx

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jan 2007, 11:01 pm »
Let me give another vote for a squeezebox. With it you can be on the couch with a laptop or PDA like the Nokia770 and have a graphic interface to all your music collection you load onto your hard drive.
I have over 1,000 CDs on my HD on a computer in another room from my stereo.
I can browse my entire collection using the slimserver interface , push a key and hear whatever I want. Eventually I will never put another CD in the player.
I bought the audiophile version of the Squeezebox, the Transporter. It is the best digital sound I've heard in my system.
I am sure frank's excellent DAC with a Squeezebox would be as good. And , you don't need to mod the SB.
Not only will you never have to get off the couch , you will have 1,000s of radio stations at your fingertips.
The TP sounds better than my previous 7,000.00 CD playback system.