Ultra DAC or Ultra Hybrid Pre? Which would have more impact?

ajzepp

If my goal is the most significant improvement in 2-channel music, would I be more pleased by adding an Ultra DAC and running it through the analog bypass of my Outlaw 950 pre/pro, or using the analog outs of my Denon 2900 and running it to an Ultra Hybrid Preamp?

I want to eventually have both, but I'll probably start with one or the other. My current equipment list is as follows:

DeVore Super 8s
Butler 5150
Denon 2900
Outlaw 950

Thanks!

miklorsmith

Based on what I've heard that the Denon is an average audio player, I'd go with the DAC first.  I'm sure it will be perfectly OK as a transport.

Zheeeem

Get the Ultra DAC.  Huge improvement!!!

ajzepp

Thanks, guys....I'm glad the opinions are in favor of the DAC, cause for some reason I'm really excited about that product  :thumb:   I've been lusting after one for a while now, and I'm ALMOST ready for it to be next in line....I can't wait :)

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
I disagree and would change the preamp first.

I had the Outlaw 950 and while it was competitive as a processor (in its day), it was only so-so as a 2 channel preamp.

What's the point of having a better digital front end, if your preamp is the weak link in the chain?

George

miklorsmith

Would the preamp circuitry be engaged if running through a bypass loop?

zybar

• Volunteer

Running thorugh the analog bypass means that it is basically acting as a traditional preamp and not adding any processing.

George

ajzepp

Running thorugh the analog bypass means that it is basically acting as a traditional preamp and not adding any processing.

George

Wouldn't that be the way to go if I had an excellent source such as the Ultra DAC? I'm not keepign the OUtlaw....it'll eventually be relegated to HT duty only. I'm just looking to make the biggest impact I can initially until I can get the second piece of gear.

miklorsmith

When I had my Modwright pre, I thought the bypass loop was essentially a shortcut around the volume control and output/gain stage.  The volume control definitely didn't work.

Maybe the Outlaw is different.

zybar

• Volunteer

George

Wouldn't that be the way to go if I had an excellent source such as the Ultra DAC? I'm not keepign the OUtlaw....it'll eventually be relegated to HT duty only. I'm just looking to make the biggest impact I can initially until I can get the second piece of gear.

That is the way to go for the 950.

I was merely pointing out that I felt the analog bypass isn't the strong point of the 950 and that it isn't that great a 2 channel preamp.  From memory, I thought it was cloudy and lacking detail and resolution - sort of like looking through a dirty window compared to a clean one.

George

zybar

• Volunteer
When I had my Modwright pre, I thought the bypass loop was essentially a shortcut around the volume control and output/gain stage.  The volume control definitely didn't work.

Maybe the Outlaw is different.

That is a different beast since that is a two channel preamp, not a pre/pro.

George

avahifi

Preamp first I think, assuming that your present CD player is not really awful.

Frank Van Alstine

Carlman

I've never heard a receiver come even close to the performance of a well-designed 2-channel preamp.  Go preamp.  It'll let you hear what you're not hearing now from your source.... That way you can appreciate the DAC upgrade.

-C

zybar

• Volunteer
I've never heard a receiver come even close to the performance of a well-designed 2-channel preamp.  Go preamp.  It'll let you hear what you're not hearing now from your source.... That way you can appreciate the DAC upgrade.

-C

Bingo!!!

George

ajzepp

well, the man himself has spoken....thus let it be done!  :thumb: