Anybody using SVS subs in their HT?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Anybody using SVS subs in their HT?
« on: 31 Jan 2022, 12:54 pm »
I am close to adding a pair of SVS subs (PB-2000 Pro) to my updated HT and was wondering how many people here are using SVS subs (especially the PB-2000 Pro model).

I want to keep the budget at $2k or less and I want to have a pair of subs to help overall performance.

Room size is:  21' x 12'9" x 7' 10" (drop ceiling).

Thanks,

George

TomS

Re: Anybody using SVS subs in their HT?
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jan 2022, 01:34 pm »
I have the SB16 Ultra and it is excellent quality, and setup is easy. I probably should have used the ported PB16 for HT, but this one works just fine. It's in the same room as my 2ch but not used at all with the Spatial X5's, not necessary at all.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #2 on: 31 Jan 2022, 01:38 pm »
I have 4 SVS subs here at the moment but not the model you're looking at.
I think you'll be happy with your purchase.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 31 Jan 2022, 01:48 pm »
Thanks guys.

George

Freo-1

« Reply #4 on: 31 Jan 2022, 02:39 pm »
I have the PC4000 subwoofer.  Very happy with it.  I like the cylinder approach for subwoofers.  Consider a pair of PC3000s for HT.

skifasterslc

« Reply #5 on: 31 Jan 2022, 02:50 pm »
Zybar,

I have one svs sb2000 pro That I installed about 6 months ago, my priority was for music, but is fine for movie duties, I am very happy with it, my room is 24 x 12 x 7.5 feet tall - carpet over cement floor with dropped ceiling, I have 4 - 5" thick bass traps (24x48). I need some diffusion, hope to order some Pi audio group diffusers very soon

Cheers -- Mark

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 31 Jan 2022, 03:04 pm »
Zybar,

I have one svs sb2000 pro That I installed about 6 months ago, my priority was for music, but is fine for movie duties, I am very happy with it, my room is 24 x 12 x 7.5 feet tall - carpet over cement floor with dropped ceiling, I have 4 - 5" thick bass traps (24x48). I need some diffusion, hope to order some Pi audio group diffusers very soon

Cheers -- Mark

Mark,

Do you feel that one is sufficient?  Your room is pretty close to mine in terms of size.

Based on my experience in my previous HT setups, I have always tried to have multiple subs.

George

skifasterslc

« Reply #7 on: 31 Jan 2022, 04:02 pm »
George,

For now one is enough for me, although I have never had more than one sub, ignorance is bliss I suppose.  I have considered adding another one, but do not really feel the NEED to.  You could always start with one and go from there, SVS seems to have reasonable return policies, I would imagine once you have two, you will not be returning any

---Mark

Doublej

« Reply #8 on: 31 Jan 2022, 05:27 pm »
For a single listener/viewer, a properly sized sub in the proper location is typically sufficient. It's when you have multiple folks that more than one sub becomes necessary for all to have a pleasurable experience.

I believe there is a very old thread where I asked this question  to Duke LeJeune of AudioKinesis and the above was his paraphrased reply.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 31 Jan 2022, 07:23 pm »
For a single listener/viewer, a properly sized sub in the proper location is typically sufficient. It's when you have multiple folks that more than one sub becomes necessary for all to have a pleasurable experience.

I believe there is a very old thread where I asked this question  to Duke LeJeune of AudioKinesis and the above was his paraphrased reply.

Agreed.

Ideally, I would like the bass to be excellent at multiple positions.   :green:

As such, I am willing to go with a couple of smaller subs (PB-2000's) to achieve this in place of a larger single sub (such as a PB-4000).

George

mgalusha

« Reply #10 on: 31 Jan 2022, 07:48 pm »
My upstairs setup is not really HT but I do use it for movies. I am a proponent of multiple subs setups such as those outlined by Earl Geddes and Duke LeJeune.

I have one SVS SB-3000 and two SVS SB-1000's in that system, fed from a mini dsp off the preamp, 2 channel only, not quite wall shaking but quite sufficient to make the deep bass in movies fun. I've been very pleased with the SVS, not much $$ for what you get. Since there are three, they don't have to work quite so hard for considerable output.

Vince in TX

« Reply #11 on: 31 Jan 2022, 07:54 pm »
I have a single PB-2000 in my game room that used to be my primary theater.   But then I built a dedicated room and initially had a pair of SB-2000 Pros in there, but there was something about them that didn't seem to do it for me.   So I put one of them at the back of the theater and built a pair of open-baffle subs from GR Research at the front of the theater.   Now it's phenomenal.   :thumb:

Before:

After:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #12 on: 31 Jan 2022, 08:06 pm »
I like OB subs for mid/upper bass and sealed subs for very low bass.  If can only choose one of the other, I'd go with OB subs for 2 channel music and multiple sealed subs for HT.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 31 Jan 2022, 08:29 pm »
Thanks for the continued input guys.

Great to hear from Tyson and Mike especially...it has been much too long.

In my previous house and HT, I had both sealed and OB subs in the HT (see pic below).

The OB subs got damaged in the move and I have never really worked on fixing them. 

Maybe that could be a good project in the Spring...

George

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #14 on: 31 Jan 2022, 11:26 pm »
Yes, make some proper H frames for them.  I'm not a huge fan of W frames....

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 3 Feb 2022, 01:30 pm »
I decided to go with a pair of PB-2000's and they will arrive at the end of this week/early next week. 

A pair of OB "H" frames definitely are possible down the road.

George

mgalusha

« Reply #16 on: 3 Feb 2022, 07:44 pm »
Great to hear from Tyson and Mike especially...it has been much too long.

It's been a while, hope you and all are doing well.

Wayner

« Reply #17 on: 3 Feb 2022, 08:37 pm »
Not yet, but today I just ordered their "Soundpath" FM transmitter and receiver to get some stereo from my vinyl room out into the digital room and garage (next summer, now 2° F). I will expand the system later if I find it to work well as you can set 3 receivers with 1 transmitter.

Of course, it was originally designed to eliminate the interconnect to their subs, but they were smart enough to make it a airwave connection for many other uses. If I were to buy their sub (which might happen pretty soon), there will also be an order for the Soundpath.

'ner

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 3 Feb 2022, 08:55 pm »
Not yet, but today I just ordered their "Soundpath" FM transmitter and receiver to get some stereo from my vinyl room out into the digital room and garage (next summer, now 2° F). I will expand the system later if I find it to work well as you can set 3 receivers with 1 transmitter.

Of course, it was originally designed to eliminate the interconnect to their subs, but they were smart enough to make it a airwave connection for many other uses. If I were to buy their sub (which might happen pretty soon), there will also be an order for the Soundpath.

'ner

Given that this HT room is on the smaller side and that I already own the long ic's, I skipped the Soundpath device.

That said, it looks very interesting and I could see myself possibly using it in my living room setup (eliminating the need to fish the ic from the rack on the right to a sub to the left of the left speaker).

George

Freo-1

« Reply #19 on: 3 Feb 2022, 09:15 pm »
I decided to go with a pair of PB-2000's and they will arrive at the end of this week/early next week. 

A pair of OB "H" frames definitely are possible down the road.

George

Good choice. I bet you will be happy with them.