Build a $6K 2channel turntable setup

charmerci

• My Artistic Adventures
Re: Build a $6K 2channel turntable setup
« Reply #60 on: 11 Dec 2018, 11:03 pm »
I can't blame her for going with a vintage Thorens 318.  The semi auto feature is great.  I have a Thorens TD-145 and love the semi auto feature.  It is what keeps me from buying a new TT.

The bottom line in this thread is that these people are not looking for the greatest sound and any of the recommendations will sound good, probably better than any thing that they have heard or have.  Although, I am not so sure about the IFI speakers.  Probably mediocre at best  but who knows.

I agree.

I'm pretty sure the iFi speakers are LS5/A copies, modified.

DSkip

• Industry Participant
« Reply #61 on: 12 Dec 2018, 08:47 am »
I've sold the Stereo 50 and the speakers.  I've heard the Stereo 50 on many speakers and trust me, the iFi speakers don't stand up against a pair of Omega.  If not Omega, I'd strongly suggest going a different route for the speakers. 

Keep in mind with the Stereo 50 you will need to push the volume some unless you have some efficient speakers.  The 25 watts seems less powerful than that, but it doesn't take away from the sweet music it creates with the right speakers.

DSkip

• Industry Participant
« Reply #62 on: 12 Dec 2018, 08:52 am »
iFi makes quality stuff and I can get behind everything except the speakers.  To be fair, you CAN get decent sound out of them, but they need to be placed in a bookshelf or have a lot of reinforcements from other objects to sound decent.  These are definitely not speakers you put out in a room or on top of a desk with space to breathe.