Super 7 Monitor MK2 info?

Btrmousetrap

Super 7 Monitor MK2 info?
« on: 23 Jan 2019, 12:58 am »
Hello all,

I have done a search and a speed scroll through posts regarding opinions or reviews for the Super 7 Monitor MK2. It seems most reference the Alnico monitor. I am very interested in the overall size of the Super 7 Monitor MK2 and would like any input on performance if you have any to share. I did see one post suggesting having the Alnico driver installed in the Super 7 cabinet. If this is an option, how would the driver and the cabinet interact. It seems the Alnico monitor cabinet dimensions are quite a bit different from the Super 7. I have a 15 x 21 room with high ceilings and prefer a pretty rounded variety of styles of music from Hawaiian, Pink Floyd, rock to female vocals (minimal orchestra). Again, I do prefer the size of the Super 7 cabinets and would utilize a sub(s) for LF enhancement along with taking the load of the monitors.

Thanks in advance and I am looking forward to everyone's responses regarding the overall monitor performance and options for consideration.

BTR

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
Re: Super 7 Monitor MK2 info?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jan 2019, 04:17 am »
Hello Btrmousetrap,

I've owned pretty well all of Louis' small/medium monitors including the 7 Monitor MK2, and currently own CAMs.  I haven't heard the Super 3HO monitor, but hear it is very good.  The 7MK2 is an absolute bargain at a grand entry level, but if finances and room allow, I would go for the CAMs - they're in a different class.  In almost 10 years of owning Omega speakers, the SAMs and CAMs are my personal favourites. 

What amp do you plan to run?

Btrmousetrap

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jan 2019, 05:07 am »
Rob,
Thank you for the input. I am not sure as to which amp I would use as I am currently researching a complete new system for my upcoming retirement. I will share that I am not an audiophile, but an out of touch music lover trying to move into the modern equipment arena. I am not confined by financial limitations but am also wanting to spend wisely. The forum members are at a higher level of understanding and experience than I and I welcome all input for system development. I hear a lot of reference to tube amps but I honestly have no experience or full understanding of them so that is another area I need to educate myself. I have always been a SS system owner.

Thanks again.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 23 Jan 2019, 05:13 pm »
As far as amplification type goes, single ended triode (SET) is probably the most popular amp type to go with Omegas, but push pull (PP) amps also work very well but with a slightly different flavour.  In the solid state realm, pure class A, class D, and class A/B chip work really well.

In pecking order as far as brands of amps go on the Omega AC forum I would say Decware and Linear Tube Audio for tubes.  For solid state, First Watt, Temple Audio, and a well built TPA3116 based class D DIY amp.

I was an Omega dealer for 8 years, and found any of the Decware SE84 Zen amp iterations to be my personal reference.  If you want a good education on tube amps, spend some time on the excellent Decware website.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #4 on: 23 Jan 2019, 05:21 pm »
"If you want a good education on tube amps, spend some time on the excellent Decware website."

Make sure you take a grain of salt with you.  :wink:

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 23 Jan 2019, 07:25 pm »
"If you want a good education on tube amps, spend some time on the excellent Decware website."

Make sure you take a grain of salt with you.  :wink:

If you can suggest something better.....

Doodlebum

« Reply #6 on: 23 Jan 2019, 09:32 pm »
Plus one for Decware. I have the 4 WPC  Mini T and the 2WPC Zen. Both fantastic!!!!

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #7 on: 23 Jan 2019, 10:50 pm »
If you can suggest something better.....

I'm not sure what this means.  :scratch:

I was referring to the "good education on tube amps". 

RDavidson

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jan 2019, 11:06 pm »
Rob, I think opnly bafld was just saying to take Steve's "marketing" with a grain of salt. Certainly nothing wrong with Steve's amps.

Regarding "traditional" tube or solid state technology, I will make a very rare blanket statement and say that single ended amps work / sound best with Omegas. That doesn't mean there aren't exceptions. But, if you're looking for a "sure thing" I'd steer you to single ended tube or transistor amps. Decware is a great suggestion. First Watt is also a great suggestion, but not necessarily all models. Some First Watt amps are push/pull...like the F5 and F7. The popular J2 is single ended as is the new SIT 3.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 24 Jan 2019, 12:06 am »
I'm not sure what this means.  :scratch:

I was referring to the "good education on tube amps".

I took it as an unwarranted criticism of my advice to the OP (not that my advice is the be all end all), so if you can suggest something better in the way of an education on tube amps, bring it on for the OP's sake.  The goal here is to help the OP.  Taking Steve's website with a "grain of salt" is essentially saying because he is in business selling amps his information shouldn't be trusted, I guess the same goes for Louis.  I know the political left hate it, but we do (for now) live in a capitalistic society and everybody who sells to us has to make money off of us or they can't eat and pay their bills.  If they lie to us, they will go out of business. Steve has been around for a long time, so between that and a lot of personal experience with him I think his information can be very helpful.

BTW, I have no business or financial affiliation with Steve, Louis, or anyone else.  I shut my business down at the end of 2017.

Btrmousetrap

« Reply #10 on: 24 Jan 2019, 12:41 am »
Ok, you educated/experienced members are adding another subject needing my education. For this I am sorry, but I do appreciate all input. What is a single ended triode amp and what are the advantages or disadvantages of them? Also the referenced "push pull" variety. I know I should and will start researching on my own, but I have the utmost respect for real world experience and trial and error.

Most appreciatively,

Btrmousetrap

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 24 Jan 2019, 02:22 am »
The first link is of the Decware SE84 in its basic form.  It's what put Decware on the map 20+ years ago, and still kills giants on a regular basis.  It is a single ended triode (SET) amp with about 2 watts per channel and enough power to drive any Omega with ease.
Sound: liquid, smooth, very spacial, and 3 dimensional in its presentation.  Also very fast and detailed.  Needs a source with at least a 2 Volt RMS output.  If pairing with Omegas, some iteration of this amp would be my choice (they go from $1000 - $3000+). 
http://www.decware.com/newsite/SE84CKC.html

The second link is an Elite 80 20w/ch push pull (PP) tube amp made by an equally good but not as well known company.  Ideal Innovations in Canada.
Sound: punchy, dynamic, fast, detailed with lots of power.  Not as liquid or 3 dimensional as a SET, but more powerful and better suited to a wider range of speaker types.  http://www.idealinnovations.biz/elite-models.htm

There are lots of good tube amps out there, but the reason I mention these two is because I have personal experience (I haven't heard the latest version of the SE84) with both of them and love their sound.  They are both well made (in the US and Canada respectively), have lifetime warranties, and are backed by great service, not to mention tremendous value for dollar.