Listening with grille on or off?

dealaddict

Listening with grille on or off?
« on: 22 May 2020, 05:27 am »
Do you listen with the grille on or off?  I found out there is a big difference and better with grille off, just want to see if anyone feel the same way.  I have an X5.  When I first bought it, I took the grille off because I think it looks better.  The sound is excellent.  Then a couple days ago, I put the the grille on for some protection.  At the beginning, don’t realized much differences.  After a couple days, I feel it doesn’t sound as good as before.  It sounds harsh.  I was scratching my head and think maybe it is because I am listening to a different recordings.  Tonight, I took the grille off and wow, it is the grille!  It is now back to the sound when I first bought it.  I have a theory.  The grille only covers the mid range and subwoofer.  So, it block off some of the midrange and bass, but the upper range remains unblocked, so, it becomes more dominant and sound harsh.  After I took off the grille, the bass is also much improved.  With the grille, it sounds muddy. 

Anyone else feel that? 

Shakeydeal

Re: Listening with grille on or off?
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2020, 11:30 am »
I listen with the grills off. Started doing that the first week I got the speakers and they haven't gone back on since. So I couldn't tell you how it impacted the sound, but I'm sure you are right.

Shakey

jazzman463

« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2020, 11:53 am »
How do you take them off ? I am afraid to mess mine up. M5s

Shakeydeal

« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2020, 12:11 pm »
It's easy. Just grab the grill frame and pinch the grill cloth and pull. I hope I'm describing that right. It's pressure fitted in the groove. I don't think you'll hurt anything.

Shakey

ric

« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2020, 01:21 pm »
I don't really see that speaker grill cloths do anything that has to do with sound--more for aesthetics. Even my old Dunlavy's that were supposedly designed to use WITH the speaker covers and had felt on them too, to my ears degraded the sound. Cloth bad, sound, good!

MPH

« Reply #5 on: 22 May 2020, 02:04 pm »
I know it is bad form, but I typically leave the grilles on.  :oops:

When listening with my friends during a music/drinking session, the grilles are off.

Shakeydeal

« Reply #6 on: 22 May 2020, 05:36 pm »
I know it is bad form, but I typically leave the grilles on.  :oops:

When listening with my friends during a music/drinking session, the grilles are off.

Depending on how much and what you are drinking, that might be the time to have the grilles ON..........