Otis

« on: 16 Aug 2009, 04:04 am »
« Last Edit: 2 Feb 2011, 07:08 pm by Otis »

Wayner

Re: History ? for Mr. Frank
« Reply #1 on: 16 Aug 2009, 12:04 pm »
Otis,

I think Frank started out as an authorized repair center for Dynaco (Dynakit) back then when he was at Jensen's stereo shop. I remember him even saying that he had visited the factory.

Wayner  :D

dB Cooper

« Reply #2 on: 16 Aug 2009, 12:26 pm »
The user base for Dynaco probably equalled (and maybe exceeded) the other brands you mention combined. That equates to a larger potential customer base. That would be my guess.

rkeir

« Reply #3 on: 16 Aug 2009, 02:04 pm »
Wayner is right. I still have my sheet which lists the Dynaco repair shops. Jensen's was one of them. [I used to go to the one called "Electronic Clinic" on the north side of Chicago. It was run by a real character. If I remember correctly, his name was Walter Padiak. He used to test his work on the solid-state models by raising the unit over his head and dropping it to his workbench. He would plug it back in and when it made noise he would declare it fixed. He seemed pretty old back then ( in the '70's) so I doubt if he is still around.]

boycephoto

« Reply #4 on: 16 Aug 2009, 02:53 pm »
Dyna chassis were wide open and easy to work on, needed OEM parts were available too.  Dynaco had (still has) a large following.

Wayner

« Reply #5 on: 16 Aug 2009, 04:34 pm »
I'm sure the wide open chassis made them easy to mod, but the RCA jacks in the back were a pain in the ars. Way too close together!

Wayner  8)

mike1964

« Reply #6 on: 16 Aug 2009, 05:07 pm »
My first "audiophile" preamp was an Audio Research SP3A that I bought pre-owned (more than twenty years ago, yikes!).  It had been modified by Frank, having a sticker on the back stating such.  Was having an issue with it at one point, found a phone number for AVA, dialed and Frank broke away from eating dinner to answer my questions.  I was incredibly grateful for the customer service!

avahifi

« Reply #7 on: 17 Aug 2009, 03:01 pm »
We (then Jensens Stereo Shop) were an authorized Dyna Dealer when we went into business in 1967.  Our claim to fame was that we offered Dyna units custom assembled for the the list unassembled Kit price.  That way we made 33 percent on each one sold, enough to cover our build time and a bit more (we worked good and cheap and fast).  Paul Jensen built very inexpensive two way speakers for us (the Sonic Eights) that we sold for $55 a pair unfinished.  The speakers, a Dyna electronics system (tuner, preamp and amp) a Dual turntable and Grado cartridge, and we could put out a VERY good complete system for less than $600.00. We got tons of local college student business and offered a lot better value that the local hi-fi stores.

Because we built so many Dyna units, we noticed that there were many unannounced running changes in the products, some of which resulted in sometimes better, and sometimes worse musical performance.  After figuring out which combinations of changes usually resulted in "better" we started tweaking the units we built to get better results every time.  A young electrical engineer joined me in a few years, and did a complete circuit analysis of each of the units, located most of the design weaknesses (some because of cost cutting to keep the Dyna prices low, some because of design errors and oversights).  We fixed these issues and came out with much better sounding products than the original Dyna units, and were able to sell these at higher than stock prices.

Some of these came to the attention of people in the audio industry like Ralph Hodges, Leonard Feldman, and Harry Pearson, and we received some really good write ups and rapidly increased sales.

Years later when Dynaco went out of business we were forced to design our own complete chassis instead of using Dyna mechanical bits, and have been building our own equipment ever since.  I never wanted to have the biggest company around, just big enough to earn a decent living and to enjoy.  We have managed that quite well.

The name change to Audio by Van Alstine happened because I got tired of getting phone calls in the middle of the night demanding repairs of their Jensen Car Radios under warranty while they waited.  The stupidity levels finally got to me. 

Although by far the main part of our business has been our own equipment for many years now, I still support most of the original Dynaco equipment that was designed to be kit built, with big open layouts and relatively easy to access internal parts.  They are not really big money makers for us, but there is still demand and we keep our Dyna upgrades available.  There would be no point on working on expensive or limited production units, the end prices would be too high and/or not enough possible candidates to justify the retooling costs.

That is pretty much it, in a nutshell. I will keep at it until they carry me out of here and I have excellent people trained to take over when that happens.

Best regards,

Frank Van Alstine

mark funk

« Reply #8 on: 17 Aug 2009, 08:58 pm »
Well, here is a little more history, this one looks nice.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180397782637&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

:smoke:

bob nielsen

« Reply #9 on: 18 Aug 2009, 08:19 pm »
Didn't we put a Van Alstine sicker inside the chassis on the PAT5s ?

I was one of the builders back in the '70s and '80s.

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #10 on: 18 Aug 2009, 08:28 pm »
Didn't we put a Van Alstine sticker inside the chassis on the PAT5s ?

I was one of the builders back in the '70s and '80s.

The stickers on my Pat-5 were on the front panel, left side, between the push buttons, in the 80's.

mark funk

« Reply #11 on: 18 Aug 2009, 09:38 pm »
I don't know about a sticker inside. My Super FET PAT 5 has the sticker in the same place as Tone Depth's. Mine has another board in it and no tone controls. I think some one did the kit on mine (I got it on Ebay a number of years ago), I don't think Frank would have use that full tube of silicone all over the power caps! I well have to post a pic of the insides just for LOL. It still sounds OK for some thing that old.

:smoke: