Windows 10

Odal3

Re: Windows 10
« Reply #60 on: 27 Jan 2016, 11:51 pm »
I think my problem is related to the energy management drivers that control power and battery consumption. In my case, it turns off resources when it's not supposed to

THROWBACK

« Reply #61 on: 28 Jan 2016, 12:30 am »
Thanks, JONBEE. I AM using EDGE.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #62 on: 3 Mar 2016, 01:43 am »
Good old Windows 10 deletes some non-Windows programs (or Apps, as they call them now) when it does a major update.
I had to reload IrfanView (photo editor) and it wiped out my free copy of ECMSpy which is no longer available for free. 

*Scotty*

« Reply #63 on: 3 Mar 2016, 02:04 am »
That behavior ought to be controllable. Mind you I don't know if it is. I suspect that if you do a Google search on this that a lot of people will have had the same problem and searched on it. There may be a fix for it.
Scotty

srb

« Reply #64 on: 3 Mar 2016, 02:19 am »
I had to reload IrfanView (photo editor) and it wiped out my free copy of ECMSpy which is no longer available for free.

I'm wondering if the program was actually uninstalled (program removed from the Program Files or Program Files (x86) folder, Windows non-shared dlls deleted and associated registry entries removed)?

Or did it simply remove the program shortcut from the Start Menu > Programs (still not acceptable), in which case the shortcut would just need to be added back to the Start Menu folder?

Steve
« Last Edit: 3 Mar 2016, 03:37 am by srb »

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #65 on: 3 Mar 2016, 10:04 am »
Uninstalled is the answer. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #66 on: 3 Mar 2016, 02:19 pm »
Good old Windows 10 deletes some non-Windows programs (or Apps, as they call them now) when it does a major update.
Irfan is great, much better image view than the Windows Live Photo.
Iam tending dont upgrade to W10 even free.

WGH

« Reply #67 on: 3 Mar 2016, 02:45 pm »

Here is the explanation of what's happening and the app fix:
http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/keeping-your-default-settings-as-win10-evolves/?NL=WIN-01&Issue=WIN-01_20160303_WIN-01_354_CPY3&sfvc4enews=42&cl=article_2&utm_rid=CPNET000001607540&utm_campaign=1131&utm_medium=email&elq2=a21b3e664773445d918d59cd7fc38ead

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #68 on: 17 Aug 2016, 04:07 pm »
I just got a new Windows 10 laptop. Should I open a Microsoft account or not? It seems a little nosy to me but I'm not a fanatic about privacy because I just feel that I'm lost in the millions of Win 10 users. Will I be sacrificing usability when coordinating with my other devices if I don't open the account? I'd like to interface smoothly with my smart phone with the minimum of nerdy tweaking.

Thanks

WGH

« Reply #69 on: 17 Aug 2016, 05:33 pm »
I don't know if a Microsoft account helps with other devices the are not in the Microsoft ecosystem but having a Microsoft account enables the free OneDrive cloud storage. My Thunderbird email accounts and addresses are automatically uploaded plus my data is saved so all my business stuff can survive a catastrophic accident.

My cousin just got a new computer because the old one finally died, with no backup she lost everything (nothing important) and very slowly updating her email addresses.

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #70 on: 17 Aug 2016, 05:49 pm »
I just got a new Windows 10 laptop. Should I open a Microsoft account or not? It seems a little nosy to me but I'm not a fanatic about privacy because I just feel that I'm lost in the millions of Win 10 users. Will I be sacrificing usability when coordinating with my other devices if I don't open the account? I'd like to interface smoothly with my smart phone with the minimum of nerdy tweaking.

Thanks
What kiind of smartphone?

http://www.digitalcitizen.life/should-you-use-local-or-microsoft-account-windows-10
After having configured a Windows 10 computer or device that is linked to your Microsoft account, you can log into any Windows 8.1/10 powered computer or device that is connected to the internet and your settings will be automatically synced between them. You can even synchronize passwords for websites, apps and networks between devices, as long as they are on your trusted list.

The most obvious of the benefits in using a Microsoft account is the ability to download, install and restore modern apps from the Windows Store. If you have used Windows 8 and 8.1, you already know that these are different from traditional Desktop applications and they are more related to those you would download from Apple's App Store or Google's Play Store. Still, it seems that many of the apps that come with Windows 10 will be "universal", meaning that these successors of the "Metro apps" can actually run on the Windows desktop.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #71 on: 17 Aug 2016, 05:56 pm »
What kiind of smartphone?
Samsung Galaxy S7 edge.

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #72 on: 17 Aug 2016, 06:46 pm »
Should have no issues using a local account (non Microsoft account) and your s7 with the exception of pushing notifications from your phone to your win10 pc. That requires a microsoft account.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #73 on: 17 Aug 2016, 07:37 pm »
Well...I guess I'll open a Microsoft acct. It'll probably simplify everything. Since I'm already being tracked via Goggle, Amazon, etc. one more won't hurt. :roll:
 Maybe I'll go with MS Defender too so I won't have to mess with add-on antivirus software although I'm fairly happy with Webroot which I can transfer to my new machine.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #74 on: 17 Aug 2016, 10:14 pm »
My Irfan View is running OK after the W10 upgrade.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #75 on: 17 Aug 2016, 10:20 pm »
Question:
How uninstall OneDrive/Note and Cortana?

audio.bill

« Reply #76 on: 17 Aug 2016, 11:16 pm »
Question:
I don't believe you can uninstall them through Windows directly. I'd suggest using ShutUp10 which allows you to control them as well as many other privacy related settings. https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

WGH

« Reply #77 on: 17 Aug 2016, 11:30 pm »
Question:

Why? I believe they are now an integral part of Windows 10 Anniversary Update. Sure you can hack windows but it's easier to turn them off.

Right click the Cloud in the "show hidden icons" (bottom right), click Settings, uncheck start OneDrive automatically.
Click on the "Search Windows" (bottom left), click on the gear, turn stuff on and off.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #78 on: 17 Aug 2016, 11:47 pm »
Why? I believe they are now an integral part of Windows 10 Anniversary Update. Sure you can hack windows but it's easier to turn them off.

Right click the Cloud in the "show hidden icons" (bottom right), click Settings, uncheck start OneDrive automatically.
Click on the "Search Windows" (bottom left), click on the gear, turn stuff on and off.
Thanks WGH for the tips, I already have disabled the setting options from these softwares in the sec setting menu.