TWO.2 & Black Lightning

jusbe

• vivo media
TWO.2 & Black Lightning
« on: 28 Nov 2010, 02:23 am »
Wondering if anyone here has tried a RWA Black Lightning with a TWO.2 or a TWO yet? If so, how has it been?

se-riously

Re: TWO.2 & Black Lightning
« Reply #1 on: 28 Nov 2010, 08:28 am »
Isn't a sealed lead acid version of Black Lightning essentially the same (electrically speaking) as any battery power supply that uses sealed lead acid batteries (like the one Virtue offers on their website through Gary Dodd)?

jusbe

• vivo media
« Reply #2 on: 28 Nov 2010, 11:44 am »
Hi,

My limited understanding of these new types of LiFePo4 battery (for audio anyway) is that they are not the same, delivering more current than a similarly specified SLA. More current would mean a better bass response in my experience. Hence the interest. But I could be totally wrong about this and a victim of marketing.

Have you tried yours with an SLA, by any chance?

roscoeiii

« Reply #3 on: 28 Nov 2010, 06:00 pm »
The combo sounded great powering the Holistic Audio H3 speakers at a recent Chicago Audio Society meeting. Didn't get a chance to compare to any other power supply. But wow the sound coming from these speakers was pretty jaw dropping, and of course quality amplification really helps with that.

se-riously

« Reply #4 on: 28 Nov 2010, 06:09 pm »
Hi,

My limited understanding of these new types of LiFePo4 battery (for audio anyway) is that they are not the same, delivering more current than a similarly specified SLA. More current would mean a better bass response in my experience. Hence the interest. But I could be totally wrong about this and a victim of marketing.

Have you tried yours with an SLA, by any chance?

OK.  You didn't specify LiFePO4.  My understanding is reduced impedance and hence an ability to deliver current faster which is supposed to mean better transients and tighter bass (I don't really know), reduced size, reduced weight, reduced voltage loss over the same listening period compared to SLA's (if you listen without the charger connected), and more charge cycles.  It doesn't deliver "more" current since you're fuse limited anyway.

Some of the cheaper LiFePO4 batteries linked on other threads do not have a cell balancer, which you need to keep all of the cells in the pack healthy.  That's why I pointed to the e-bike tried-and-true Ping battery that costs $200, which comes with a balancer and a 4A charger (which I would disconnect when listening).

I do have SLA's with my Sensation and love it.  I do enjoy it a bit more without the charger connected, and have started listening that way.

jusbe

• vivo media
« Reply #5 on: 29 Nov 2010, 11:06 am »
OK.  You didn't specify LiFePO4.  My understanding is reduced impedance and hence an ability to deliver current faster which is supposed to mean better transients and tighter bass (I don't really know), reduced size, reduced weight, reduced voltage loss over the same listening period compared to SLA's (if you listen without the charger connected), and more charge cycles.  It doesn't deliver "more" current since you're fuse limited anyway.

Some of the cheaper LiFePO4 batteries linked on other threads do not have a cell balancer, which you need to keep all of the cells in the pack healthy.  That's why I pointed to the e-bike tried-and-true Ping battery that costs $200, which comes with a balancer and a 4A charger (which I would disconnect when listening).

I do have SLA's with my Sensation and love it.  I do enjoy it a bit more without the charger connected, and have started listening that way.

Hi, sorry about that - I didn't realise RWA had other versions. Have you been in a position to compare your battery system with the 30V/130W option? Or is there a thread where this has been done and described?

Thanks, se-ri.

se-riously

« Reply #6 on: 29 Nov 2010, 07:51 pm »
I haven't compared my battery supply to the 30v/130w power supply, unless someone wants to send me one for trial purposes.  :green:  But 'cynan' has.  See this:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=86061.msg839829#msg839829
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=78930.msg761800#msg761800

jusbe

• vivo media
« Reply #7 on: 30 Nov 2010, 01:35 pm »
Thanks!