#$%@ my projector died - LG181 thoughts - pics

BobC

Re: #$%@ my projector died - LG181 thoughts
« Reply #60 on: 1 Sep 2010, 02:12 am »
A picture of it hung

Mount using a metal flange, nipple and bushing into a Chief RPAU.

BobC

« Reply #61 on: 1 Sep 2010, 02:14 am »
Let's try some screen shots using my POS camera.  Photos don't do it justice.   :oops:

BobC

« Reply #62 on: 1 Sep 2010, 02:15 am »

BobC

« Reply #63 on: 1 Sep 2010, 02:17 am »

BobC

« Reply #64 on: 1 Sep 2010, 02:19 am »
Last one.  Tried to show the detail in his face....but the pic isnt so good.  Sorry, best I could do.

rahimlee54

Re: #$%@ my projector died - LG181 thoughts - pics
« Reply #65 on: 1 Sep 2010, 03:18 am »
Looks good  :thumb:.  I can't get mine to die so I can upgrade it.  I like that they put the lens in the middle so you don't have to account for the offset. 

cmryan21

« Reply #66 on: 1 Sep 2010, 03:32 am »
Bob, I really appreciate your thoughts as I've been looking at purchasing either the LG, Panasonic AE4000 or BenQ W6000. Thanks for making my decision a little simpler.

BobC

« Reply #67 on: 1 Sep 2010, 12:15 pm »
Bob, I really appreciate your thoughts as I've been looking at purchasing either the LG, Panasonic AE4000 or BenQ W6000. Thanks for making my decision a little simpler.

I suggest you read the review at projectorreviews.com and scan through the rather long thread at avsforum.com as they cover much more detail than I can.

Seems the general thought is that the LG is clearly superior to the Panny or BenQ.  There is some debate betwen tbe LG and Epson 8500UB.  Both I'm sure are excellent, but I choose the LG for superior light output and LCOS.  The knock on the LG is the risk of convergence issues (whatever that is) and average black levels (when compared against the Epson).  Well, my eyes can't detect a convergence problem and the blacks look fine to me.  My main criteria was light output, so we can watch with the lights on while exercising.

Of course I'm just one opinion and no expert, but so far I'm happy with the LG.  Still have an issue with my cable box, but Time Warner Tech is coming tonight.  YMMV   :thumb:

BobC

« Reply #68 on: 1 Sep 2010, 12:16 pm »
Looks good  :thumb:.  I can't get mine to die so I can upgrade it.  I like that they put the lens in the middle so you don't have to account for the offset.

Yes, it's critical given the lack of a horizontal lense shift.

ctviggen

« Reply #69 on: 1 Sep 2010, 12:22 pm »
I think whether you have to account for the offset depends on what your previous projector was.  For instance, my projector has its lens on one side of the projector, which means that a new projector with the lens in the middle will present a problem.  However, I purchased a mount that allows up to three inches of horizontal shift.  So, when I finally get around to mounting my projector, I'll ensure that I can also mount a projector with the lens in the middle.  The only problem will be if I were to consider a projector with a lens on the complete opposite side from where my current projector's lens is.  That would be a problem.  In that case, I'd have to move the mount.

BobC

« Reply #70 on: 1 Sep 2010, 12:26 pm »
Yes, I understand.  You're right.  In my case the mount and lense are centered, so horizontal alignment was easy once I installed the pipe to allow swivel.

ctviggen

« Reply #71 on: 1 Sep 2010, 12:43 pm »
The pictures look great to me, by the way.  It really makes me want to finish my room, so I can finally start watching a large screen.  Since this is a family room, however, I'll likely be watching "Dinosaur Train" instead of action flicks, but at least it'll be up and working!

BobC

« Reply #72 on: 1 Sep 2010, 01:52 pm »
I'll likely be watching "Dinosaur Train"

I can relate.  Two small ones myself!   ...but they're not allowed in Daddy's Theater alone, and never touch Daddy's stuff!  :lol:

ctviggen

« Reply #73 on: 1 Sep 2010, 03:37 pm »
I can relate.  Two small ones myself!   ...but they're not allowed in Daddy's Theater alone, and never touch Daddy's stuff!  :lol:

That sounds like an ideal situation!  For me, our room is a main room in a Raised Ranch, and we'll need every inch of space.  It has to be a dual purpose room, with probably primary emphasis on "family" (i.e., kids) and secondary emphasis on dad! 

BobC

« Reply #74 on: 1 Sep 2010, 03:52 pm »
Looks like you've got a large remodel project on your hands.  Wish I had the balls and $$$ for that. 

You've probably thought of it, but I suggest you install a nice piece of blocking, inbetween your ceiling joists to hang a projector from.  This will avoid needing to install an exposed support later, like me.  Also, if you can do it, you can run your HDMI and power to the same point and hide the wired within the mount.  Mine are exposed and kinda ugly.

ctviggen

« Reply #75 on: 1 Sep 2010, 04:14 pm »
Looks like you've got a large remodel project on your hands.  Wish I had the balls and $$$ for that. 

You've probably thought of it, but I suggest you install a nice piece of blocking, inbetween your ceiling joists to hang a projector from.  This will avoid needing to install an exposed support later, like me.  Also, if you can do it, you can run your HDMI and power to the same point and hide the wired within the mount.  Mine are exposed and kinda ugly.

Bob, this is what the projector mount looks like:

The box you see in the beam has power and a tube going back to the equipment rack.  (The blue wire is for IR and runs to a location for IR for my "Grafik Eye", which is a lighting controller that can be controlled by IR remote.)  I'll have to see once I pull out my projector mount from storage how well I can hide the HDMI, IR, and power wires.  I didn't put them in the ceiling for resale value. 

Unfortunately, I forgot to add blocking for my pulldown screen.  Doh!  I should be able to hit joists, though. 

Another mistake I made:  The surround speakers have a plate that attaches to the wall, and then the speakers attach to the plate.  I took a plate home and ensured I lined up the holes in the plate with 2x4s in the wall.  After drywall was up, I realized that the holes in the plate I took so much time to align with the 2x4s were the holes to hang the speakers.  The holes to hang the plate are in a different location!!!!  So, now I have to hang wood external to the drywall, then hang the speaker plates on the wood.  That sucks.

ctviggen

« Reply #76 on: 1 Sep 2010, 04:16 pm »
By the way, I don't think it's "balls"; I think it's "stupidity".  ;-)  Really, had I known the amount of work and cost involved, I'd not have even attempted this project. 

BobC

« Reply #77 on: 1 Sep 2010, 04:28 pm »
looks like you've thought of everything.  Wish I had conduit in place.  I hate pulling wires.

BobC

« Reply #78 on: 1 Sep 2010, 06:46 pm »
Thought I'd highlight that the Chief RPAU mount doesn't fit the LG mounting connection points in a correct manner, but it still works.

The LG connections are too close together for the Chief to use a classic X pattern, where the legs radiate out. 

Rather I was forced to orient the legs to make two A patterns, >>.  This allowed me to connect the LG to the Chief using the provided baseplate.  It works fine, but the plate is shifted back a few inches versus being direclty over the center of the LG. 

I had a concern that this would introduce an eccentric load to the mount.  But it's fine after you make your lense adjustments.

If you have a Chief RPAU and are looking at the LG, it'll work.

If you're looking at the LG and also need to buy a mount, I'd probably not recommend the Chief.

BobC

« Reply #79 on: 2 Sep 2010, 01:39 pm »
  Still have an issue with my cable box, but Time Warner Tech is coming tonight.  YMMV   :thumb:

Problem resolved.  TWC Tech came and the box setting was trying to send multiple resolutions at the same time causing confusion.  (should have been able to fix this myself  :duh:)

Now outputs everything at 1080i and so far no issues.

Looking forward to KO the college football season by watching the Buckeye game tonight on this baby!  Go Bucks!