#$%@ my projector died - LG181 thoughts - pics

BobC

#$%@ my projector died - LG181 thoughts - pics
« on: 2 Aug 2010, 04:05 pm »
My darn Sanyo-PLV-Z2 won't turn on.  No lights, no sound, nothin.

Called the Tech Support at Projectorpeople and they narrowed it down to either a failed power supply or a failed main board.  Looking at probably $800 or more to repair.  Not worth it obviously.

Anyone experience a similar issue?

Not suprised really....it's pushing 7 years old.

So what's the best projector out there in the $2k range?  Action movies, sports, dedicated room with little light....but still like a bright picture.  Benq W6000?
« Last Edit: 1 Sep 2010, 02:20 am by BobC »

LadyDog

Re: #$%@ my projector died
« Reply #1 on: 2 Aug 2010, 04:43 pm »
That sucks Bob.  The 6000 is definately one to take a look at.  Kind of partial to the Epson stuff too.  A little brighter in burn mode and better placement flexibility.  The BenQ is probably the better movie projector though.  Gets back to the dlp vs. lcd argument/preferences.

BobC

« Reply #2 on: 2 Aug 2010, 04:50 pm »
Way back in 2004 I saw my brother in laws Infocus x1 (i think) which was DLP...and I saw some rainbows...so I went with the LCD Sanyo.

I'm hoping that the technology has improved and RBE is less pronounced, because I prefer the superior blacks....and the Sanyo's dust blobs are annoying.

BobC

« Reply #3 on: 2 Aug 2010, 04:51 pm »
Curious to know if the Epson 8500UB is worth the extra cost over the 8100.

ebag4

« Reply #4 on: 2 Aug 2010, 05:13 pm »
Way back in 2004 I saw my brother in laws Infocus x1 (i think) which was DLP...and I saw some rainbows...so I went with the LCD Sanyo.

I'm hoping that the technology has improved and RBE is less pronounced, because I prefer the superior blacks....and the Sanyo's dust blobs are annoying.
I have owned the X1, 4805, IN72 and currently the X10.  Of these the IN72 made a significant improvement over the previous 2 projectors (which were almost the same unit), I never saw ranbows with the IN72.  With the 1080P X10 I do catch a rainbow every once in a while, but these instances are few and far between.

Best,
Ed

BobC

« Reply #5 on: 2 Aug 2010, 05:24 pm »
Thanks, Ed.  Do you attribute the improvement to a faster wheels or one with more color windows?  I may be getting it wrong....but I think an innovation was a more complex color wheel, spinning faster.

LadyDog

« Reply #6 on: 2 Aug 2010, 05:27 pm »
Bob,
Always hard to justify costs for someone else, but if movies are big part of your projector enjoyment, then I would say yes the 8500ub is the better way to go.  Better blacks.

Obviously just like audio world, all is subject to one's own opinion.

Regards,
Jeff

ebag4

« Reply #7 on: 2 Aug 2010, 05:34 pm »
Thanks, Ed.  Do you attribute the improvement to a faster wheels or one with more color windows?  I may be getting it wrong....but I think an innovation was a more complex color wheel, spinning faster.
From my readng I would agree that is the reason for the improvement.  I do not know why I occasionally pick up a rainbow ith the X10, the only thing I can attribute this to is the higher resolution, perhaps there is more opportunity for rainbows at higher resoultions.  I have to say that it is rare for me to see RBE with the X10, in the last year I may have experienced it 3-4 times, it is only a momentary flash but it was definitely there.

Best,
Ed

BobC

« Reply #8 on: 2 Aug 2010, 05:35 pm »
Thanks, Jeff.  I don't flip equipment too often.  Buy and use until it breaks ( like now  :duh: ) so just don't want to have a regret (or buyers remorse) over the coming years.  Plus I need to be able to justify every penny to my wife (funds are tight)

BobC

« Reply #9 on: 2 Aug 2010, 05:37 pm »
From my readng I would agree that is the reason for the improvement.  I do not know why I occasionally pick up a rainbow ith the X10, the only thing I can attribute this to is the higher resolution, perhaps there is more opportunity for rainbows at higher resoultions.  I have to say that it is rare for me to see RBE with the X10, in the last year I may have experienced it 3-4 times, it is only a momentary flash but it was definitely there.

Best,
Ed

So I take it you would take the reported superior blacks from DLP over the very infrequent distraction of RBE.

ebag4

« Reply #10 on: 2 Aug 2010, 05:43 pm »
So I take it you would take the reported superior blacks from DLP over the very infrequent distraction of RBE.
Bob,
I have ony owned DLP projectors, but yes, I have found the RBE issue to be of minimal distraction over the past 6 or so years.

Best,
Ed

BobC

« Reply #11 on: 2 Aug 2010, 05:45 pm »
Thanks!   :thumb:

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #12 on: 2 Aug 2010, 06:38 pm »
Projector technology has come a long way in the 7 years since your last purchase. This is my favorite place to begin my search for information. In my honest opinion, you can pick-up a very nice projector, that will be far superior to your 7 year old Sanyo for well under $2K. I'd bet you could do it for under $1.5K  :wink: The technology moves so fast that deep discounts are often found on last years models. It just depends on how badly you need the latest and greatest.

As far as RBE on DLP goes, I bought my first PJ an Infocus X1 about 8 years ago. I would occasionally notice the RBE. About 2 years ago I replaced it with a Mitsubishi HC1500 and don't see RBE at all. The HC1500 has a faster color wheel than the X1 did. FWIW, the HC1500 is a 720P projector and I paid $800 for it. There are some very nice 1080P units available now at around $1200. Enjoy your search, and your new PJ when it arrives ;)

BobC

« Reply #13 on: 2 Aug 2010, 06:44 pm »
Thanks, Barry. 

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #14 on: 2 Aug 2010, 06:58 pm »
My darn Sanyo-PLV-Z2 won't turn on.  No lights, no sound, nothin.

Called the Tech Support at Projectorpeople and they narrowed it down to either a failed power supply or a failed main board.  Looking at probably $800 or more to repair.  Not worth it obviously.

Anyone experience a similar issue?

Not suprised really....it's pushing 7 years old.

So what's the best projector out there in the $2k range?  Action movies, sports, dedicated room with little light....but still like a bright picture.  Benq W6000?

I bought a 8500UB (replaced a Panny AE-900) and couldn't be happier.  Blacks are outstanding and it has plenty of light.

George

LadyDog

« Reply #15 on: 2 Aug 2010, 07:02 pm »
Bob,
As Barry mentions, avs forum is a great place to get some good insight.  I also like projectorreviews.com. 

silver_strings

« Reply #16 on: 3 Aug 2010, 06:29 am »
If its just the power supply it should be a fairly inexpensive fix, if its the main board then well RIP projector

rahimlee54

« Reply #17 on: 3 Aug 2010, 10:00 am »
The 8500UB is about the best thing going for the cash.  Checkout www.projectorreviews.com that guy knows his stuff.  He has a top projector write up at many price points.  Go check it out.  AVS is ok but projreviews is even better because you get a very knowledgeable and good review.

ctviggen

« Reply #18 on: 3 Aug 2010, 10:33 am »
There's also projectorcentral.com.  When I was looking into projectors, I thought the reviews from projector reviews were better and less potentially biased, but projector central has some good data on it, like a throw calculator. 

jermmd

« Reply #19 on: 3 Aug 2010, 12:16 pm »
New projector anouncements should be coming out in the next couple of months if you can wait. This usually drives down the cost of this years models and gives you an idea of what the latest and greatest projectors will offer.