HT3/Soliloquy 6.3i

barnestn

HT3/Soliloquy 6.3i
« on: 10 Aug 2005, 07:19 pm »
:?: Can anyone offer comparative comments on the HT3 vs. Soliloquy 6.3i?

jsalk

Re: HT3/Soliloquy 6.3i
« Reply #1 on: 13 Aug 2005, 02:13 pm »
barnestn -

Quote from: barnestn
:?: Can anyone offer comparative comments on the HT3 vs. Soliloquy 6.3i?

I see that nobody addressed your question, so I will take a shot at it.  

I have never heard this particular speaker, so I can't comment on the relative sound quality difference.  But I looked at their web site to get an idea of the relative differences in drivers and that should provide some insight.

Soliloquy is a well-respected retail brand, so I would expext that the speakers sound very good.  There was't a whole lot of detail on the specific drivers used, so I can only provide some general comments.

First, the speakers are sold at retail and direct and the only price I was able find was $3199.  When a speaker is sold at retail, the retailer needs at least 40% margin to take on the line.  So this would equate to about a $2000 pair of speakers using the business model I use.

In terms of drivers, I did notice that this model uses a traditional dome tweeter.  While many dome tweeters are capable of generating a gorgeous top end, they are quite a bit different than a pure ribbon tweeter.  

I have used (and continue to use) some very good traditional dome tweeters in some designs I produce.  But as good as they can be, they are no match for a pure ribbon tweeter.

The G2 used in the HT3, for example, is an extremely low mass driver.  So it is extremely fast in comparison to even the best dome tweeter.  The G2 is flat out to about 25KHz and down only 3db at 40KHz.  This means that, at audible frequencies, it is capable of reproducing minute detail in the high treble that a traditional dome tweeter simply cannot resolve.

While a dome tweeter can produce a beautiful high end, the ribbon tweeter seems to have no top end at all.  It just goes on forever.

The result is extreme transparency - like a crystal clear window into the sound.

I don't know what cone material is used in the mid-woofers on the 6.3i's.  There was little information on them on the website.

The W18EX used in the HT3 features an extremely low mass magnesium cone (it is the only magnesium cone driver I am aware of).  This is one of the lightest cone materials currently in use and results in a driver that is much faster than any paper, kevlar or poly cone being used today.  

Again, the result is a level of detail that most other cone materials cannot match.

The HT3's also feature a custom-made TC Sounds subwoofer driver used as a woofer.  This driver has an aluminum cone and is also quite fast - a perfect complement to the other drivers in the design. It has a massive motor structure with great power-handling capacity.  So the HT3's can handle deep bass at high SPL's with little percievable distortion.

As I indicated earlier, I have not heard the 6.3's and would assume they are very capable speakers.  But just looking at the drivers used, I would say the major differences between the two designs are this:

1) The HT3's will have a more transparent top end.
2) The HT3's will reproduce more detail in the midrange.
3) The bass response in the HT3's will be more extended.

I will shortly be introducing a new model that is probably more in line with the 6.3's.  Although I haven't named it yet, it will probably be called the EXT.

This new model will feature a pair of Extensis 6.8's and the new LCY ribbon tweeter in a classic d'Appolito MTM format.  They will be about 44" tall, 9" wide and 14" deep (which should be fiarly close to the dimentions of the 6.3's).

They will feature the same basic transparency found in the HT3's.  While the 6.8's are quite detailed, they will produce slightly less detail in the midrange than the HT3's. But they will have very impressive bass extension for a speaker with 7" drivers.  (The Extensis drivers have better bass extension than almost any other 7" driver being used today.)  In fact, their bass response will be very close to the HT3's.  The price will be somewhere around $2500 per pair.

While you did not ask about them, I thought I would point them out since I think this new model would be a better "apples to apples" comparison with the 6.3i's.

I hope this is of some help to you.

- Jim

barnestn

HT3/Soliloquy 6.3i
« Reply #2 on: 14 Aug 2005, 03:37 pm »
Jim,

Thanks for all the info and for taking time from your busy schedule to respond.  I'm price protected at last year's price for the HT3 and was just curious as to the improvements I can expect over my Soliloquys.

Thanks again,

Bob

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
HT3/Soliloquy 6.3i
« Reply #3 on: 14 Aug 2005, 07:00 pm »
I'm anxious to hear more about that new speaker, too.

MaxCast

HT3/Soliloquy 6.3i
« Reply #4 on: 14 Aug 2005, 11:39 pm »
Hey Jim,
Any chance you will have a pair of EXT (XTC?)  in Schaumburg?

jsalk

HT3/Soliloquy 6.3i
« Reply #5 on: 15 Aug 2005, 12:26 am »
Quote from: MaxCast
Hey Jim,
Any chance you will have a pair of EXT (XTC?)  in Schaumburg?

Chances are quite good.  My goal is to introduce them at the Rocky Mountain Audiofest at the end of September.  If I make that, they will be ready for Chicago as well.  The only problem will be hauling all the speakers I would like to bring.

- Jim

warnerwh

HT3/Soliloquy 6.3i
« Reply #6 on: 15 Aug 2005, 12:52 am »
Just to add to Jim's answer as I think he was being humble. I've not heard his speakers but they must sound Outstanding judging by what others have said and who's opinions I respect.  The sound of the Aurum Cantus ribbon I'm used to listening to is no doubt extremely similar to the Salk's Aurum Cantus ribbon and it's easily the best highs I've ever heard in over thirty years. The speed that is needed to produce high frequencies I've not heard done so well as this tweeter.  In fact no dome I've heard comes close. My best guess is that the Salk's will sound far better than the Sililoquy 6.3's. I've heard a pair of I think 5.2's and although they sounded good, for the money they were only average. I'm going to go out on a limb and say the Salk's will thoroughly outclass the 6.3's and you're going to be in HI FI heaven.

enric pardp

JIM SALK AND RETAILERS PROFITS
« Reply #7 on: 19 Aug 2005, 03:49 pm »
Good morning America, here Ibiza Europe just to reconfirm Mr.Salks words about retailer profits,they  are never less then a 40% but also we should think about all expenses in publicity and payments to some docile reviwers as well as NON FACTORY DIRECT PRODUCTORS AND RETAILERS do in Spain as well.Sorry for  my very poor english.   THANKS    ---- Private  e- mails  on audio subject are wellcome---