Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Lets see your O.B. speakers....!
« Reply #160 on: 25 Nov 2015, 01:55 pm »

frperdurabo

« Reply #161 on: 25 Nov 2015, 02:10 pm »
An alternative to Maggies is the Eminent Technology LFT-8b. It is also a magnetic-planar dipole (above the 1st order 180Hz x/o frequency, below which a sealed 8" cone woofer provides bass), but needs less power and is more tube amp friendly, both a result of being an 8ohm load rather than the Maggie 4ohm. It is also different from the Maggie in being a push-pull design, with magnets on both sides of the diaphragm. And Danny Richie's OB/Dipole sub can easily be substituted for the ET woofer (or used as a woofer for Quads), for a full-range OB/Dipole loudspeaker at an affordable price.

The ET-8b is a fascinating design; not well-distributed, alas, and not often found used (which is how I typically buy stuff).  Great review by REG here:  http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/eminent-technology-lft-8b-loudspeaker/

The local shoemaker has a pair in his shop, but only used for background music.  If you have a chance to hear them, you really should.

guest42212

« Reply #162 on: 6 Dec 2015, 04:57 am »

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #163 on: 6 Dec 2015, 01:07 pm »
My open baffle planar hybrid speaker.  GR-Research did the baffle design ideas.  Got the drivers moded BG NEO3PDR and 2x12 servo subs from GR-Research and BG NEO10's from Parts-Express before BG was sold.   

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #164 on: 6 Dec 2015, 02:47 pm »
My open baffle planar hybrid speaker.  GR-Research did the baffle design ideas.  Got the drivers moded BG NEO3PDR and 2x12 servo subs from GR-Research and BG NEO10's from Parts-Express before BG was sold.   

Wow. You got some sweet gear....

Thanks for sharing. ..

guest42212

bdp24

« Reply #166 on: 7 Dec 2015, 12:03 am »

What is the nature of the x/o between the subs and the speakers? The Rythmik plate amp has it's own controls, of course, which allow the OB sub to be used up to around 300Hz (thanks to the OB shelving circuit). How high do you use yours, and at what settings? And then how about the high-pass filter for the upper drivers? I'll bet you're really glad you got the BG drivers when you did!

lowtech

« Reply #167 on: 7 Dec 2015, 01:00 am »

Care to share the crossover transfer curves that you are using this this system?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #168 on: 7 Dec 2015, 01:05 am »
I am running the dspMusik digital crossover with single pole butterworth HP at 250Hz on the NEO10's.  Running the Rythmik HX300 at 200Hz and still working on the best setup between the servo subs and NEO10's.  I may have to switch to the Rythmik PEQ370's I have for the 2x12's to get better integration with the NEO10's.

The NEO10's and NEO3's are running from ChipAmps being driven with the dspMusik.

Very glad I bought the BG drivers when I did. 

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #169 on: 7 Dec 2015, 01:09 am »
Care to share the crossover transfer curves that you are using this this system?

When I have the XO's finalized, will post the frequency response plots for the XO transfer functions of the mid's and tweeters.  Will do near field measurements of the servo subs.   

bdp24

« Reply #170 on: 7 Dec 2015, 01:10 am »
I am running the dspMusik digital crossover with single pole butterworth HP at 250Hz on the NEO10's.  Running the Rythmik HX300 at 200Hz and still working on the best setup between the servo subs and NEO10's.  I may have to switch to the Rythmik PEQ370's I have for the 2x12's to get better integration with the NEO10's.

The NEO10's and NEO3's are running from ChipAmps being driven with the dspMusik.

Single pole Butterworth meaning 1st order, 6dB/octave?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #171 on: 7 Dec 2015, 01:14 am »
Yes.  Working with the rolloff of the driver at that frequency.

studiotech

« Reply #172 on: 7 Dec 2015, 02:42 am »

Please be cautious with such a shallow XO at that low of a frequency with the Neo10s.  They're really not mean to go that low unless used in a line source or with steeper slopes.  You are at the lower limits where distortion starts to increase dramatically.  Not sure how loudly you tend to listen, but that's always a factor as well.  If you tend to keep below 90dB, you ought to be OK, I guess.

Greg

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #173 on: 7 Dec 2015, 03:07 am »
Greg,
Thanks for the feedback. 

I am not listening loud at this point, but understand the caution.  The room is very quiet, so that helps a lot.

studiotech

« Reply #174 on: 7 Dec 2015, 05:12 am »
Greg,
Thanks for the feedback. 

I am not listening loud at this point, but understand the caution.  The room is very quiet, so that helps a lot.

Nice to have a quiet room for sure.  One of the best upgrades for improved low level detail.

Since you've got the nice DSP and measurement capabilities, try other slopes while you're at it.  Don't get sucked into the whole less-is-more philosophy before hearing higher order slopes.  Can't wait for the final results.  Ought to be good.

Oktyabr

« Reply #175 on: 9 Dec 2015, 07:05 am »
My ugly (compared to some in this thread anyway!) 2-ways...  Based on MJK's work, these are Goldwood GW-1858's in H-Frames with Audio Nirvana Super 8's on top.  Between the two are thin ply boxes containing 50lbs of concrete patio block in each.  All the construction is 3/4" baltic birch ply (11 ply).  I used a miniDSP for quite awhile but the added hiss in the high end drove me crazy.  I recently picked up a pair of Crown XLS 1500 amps on close out sale and now run their internal 24db LR crossovers between the H-Frames and the Super 8's.  I've experimented a bit but tend to think the combo sounds best XO'd around 125Hz...  No sub is required in this room :)

They seem to blend pretty well.  According to the RTA plugin I run in Foobar2000, these kettle drums have significant energy into the 20Hz region (and probably lower).  Sorry for video and sound recording quality of my cell phone:

https://youtu.be/AIXetGn0x4Q

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #176 on: 9 Dec 2015, 10:10 am »
My ugly (compared to some in this thread anyway!) 2-ways...  Based on MJK's work, these are Goldwood GW-1858's in H-Frames with Audio Nirvana Super 8's on top.  Between the two are thin ply boxes containing 50lbs of concrete patio block in each.  All the construction is 3/4" baltic birch ply (11 ply).  I used a miniDSP for quite awhile but the added hiss in the high end drove me crazy.  I recently picked up a pair of Crown XLS 1500 amps on close out sale and now run their internal 24db LR crossovers between the H-Frames and the Super 8's.  I've experimented a bit but tend to think the combo sounds best XO'd around 125Hz...  No sub is required in this room :)

They seem to blend pretty well.  According to the RTA plugin I run in Foobar2000, these kettle drums have significant energy into the 20Hz region (and probably lower).  Sorry for video and sound recording quality of my cell phone:

https://youtu.be/AIXetGn0x4Q
You dont walk in the room to show the sound nuance and room acoustics, this fixed camera looks like a direct recording from CD, not your speakers.
Nice cat BTW.

Oktyabr

« Reply #177 on: 9 Dec 2015, 04:32 pm »
You dont walk in the room to show the sound nuance and room acoustics, this fixed camera looks like a direct recording from CD, not your speakers.
Nice cat BTW.

House was (is) a mess with the holidays going on.  Forgot to turn on the auto-video stabilization (don't really shoot much video with my phone) but here you go ;) 

https://youtu.be/2IFg2BkSn-o

And that cat?!?!  "Go with a single big port", she said, "not some skinny pipe.", she said... 

And I was just about to follow her advice trying cat litter in the bottom as a quick and easy way to add some mass...

lowtech

« Reply #178 on: 9 Dec 2015, 05:07 pm »
Please be cautious with such a shallow XO at that low of a frequency with the Neo10s.  They're really not mean to go that low unless used in a line source or with steeper slopes.  You are at the lower limits where distortion starts to increase dramatically.  Not sure how loudly you tend to listen, but that's always a factor as well.  If you tend to keep below 90dB, you ought to be OK, I guess.

Greg

+1 Agree.  In addition, this driver would require some dipole/baffle step correction down low, further exacerbating the condition.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #179 on: 9 Dec 2015, 07:38 pm »
House was (is) a mess with the holidays going on.  Forgot to turn on the auto-video stabilization (don't really shoot much video with my phone) but here you go ;) 

https://youtu.be/2IFg2BkSn-o

And that cat?!?!  "Go with a single big port", she said, "not some skinny pipe.", she said... 

And I was just about to follow her advice trying cat litter in the bottom as a quick and easy way to add some mass...
Now its OK, thanks for posting.
The woffer is nice integrated seems.