LIO-8

bdiament

• Industry Participant
    • Soundkeeper Recordings
LIO-8
« on: 24 Mar 2010, 06:34 pm »
For folks who found the ULN-8 interesting but also found the price outside of their budget, there is now a simplified version, without the mic preamps: the LIO-8.

http://www.mhlabs.com
or
http://www.mhsecure.com/v5mm/LIO-8.html

Best regards,
Barry
www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
www.barrydiamentaudio.com

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: LIO-8
« Reply #1 on: 24 Mar 2010, 07:23 pm »
VERY nice, Barry.  I would suppose that, for most audio-only folks (audiophiles, 2 channel music lovers, etc.) that the LIO-8 will be sonically indistinguishable from the ULN-8?  And looks like it lists for $3995.  Thanks!

bdiament

• Industry Participant
    • Soundkeeper Recordings
« Reply #2 on: 24 Mar 2010, 08:02 pm »
Hi ted_b,

VERY nice, Barry.  I would suppose that, for most audio-only folks (audiophiles, 2 channel music lovers, etc.) that the LIO-8 will be sonically indistinguishable from the ULN-8?  And looks like it lists for $3995.  Thanks!

Indistinguishable yes because essentially, it is a ULN-8.
Just without the 8 mic preamps and the additional dsp board.

The competition (particularly those who make more expensive devices) is about to lose some more sleep.  ;-}

Best regards,
Barry

firedog

« Reply #3 on: 5 Apr 2010, 08:49 am »
I'd be very interested to hear from someone who can compare this to similarly priced DAC's like the Empirical Audio Overdrive or the Berkeley Audio Alpha. Of course the LIO has the advantage that it is also an ADC.

Barry, have you directly compared the MH as a DAC for home audio users to other "audiophile" DACs?

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 5 Apr 2010, 01:02 pm »
My LIO-8 arrives tomorrow and I will be comparing it to my Weiss DAC2.

RUR

« Reply #5 on: 5 Apr 2010, 01:53 pm »
Ted, do you plan to audition the 202?

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 5 Apr 2010, 02:16 pm »
Dunno, I'd like to.  My dealer gets one this week I think (they've been slow to roll out).  However, many of the added features (which adds to the cost) are ones that I wouldn't engage (remote volume, etc).  I am interested in the new sonics, and the clock in/out is a nice flexible option.

bdiament

• Industry Participant
    • Soundkeeper Recordings
« Reply #7 on: 5 Apr 2010, 07:42 pm »
Hi firedog,

I'd be very interested to hear from someone who can compare this to similarly priced DAC's like the Empirical Audio Overdrive or the Berkeley Audio Alpha. Of course the LIO has the advantage that it is also an ADC.

Barry, have you directly compared the MH as a DAC for home audio users to other "audiophile" DACs?

Yes, I have.  To quite a few actually, pro and audiophile.

I have not heard the Empirical DAC but I have done a direct comparison with the Alpha.  For my ears, the latter, though quite nice in some ways, is not my sonic cup of tea.  I found it to add the same "character" (which I've referred to as a "zing") to the treble of every recording I played through it.  The MH, on the other hand, allows differences between recordings to come through with ease and does not superimpose such a distinct sonic fingerprint.

In a level matched comparison, as we switched between the ULN-8 and the Alpha, the soundstage shrank a bit every time the latter was engaged.  There was also a slight sense of lost focus, which returned immediately when switching back to the ULN-8.

I have referred to the ULN-8 as the first device I've heard that gives me back the sound of my mic feeds.  Strange then to find this very phrase used in the marketing literature for another product, which sounds like no mic I've ever heard.   :roll:

I realize there are certain "colors" some folks like and would not argue with what brings any listener joy.  Some DACs seem to provide what many refer to as "added detail" but from my point of view, if the detail is not in the recording, it is in fact, distortion.  (This is easily visible in distortion analysis of some of these products.)

Other folks like their gear to "sweeten" things and make less than wonderful recordings "smoother".  I hear this character from a number of popular DACs (pro and audiophile).   

For my work and for my own listening, I need and want gear where the output is a true reflection of the input.  I have found this in the ULN-8, to a degree I've never heard before.  Folks looking for "added detail" will find the ULN-8 lacking.  Those looking for a "sweet and silky" DAC will too.  It all depends on what the listener is seeking.

This is only my perspective of course.  Please do NOT simply take my word for any of this.  If you like the idea of output reflecting the input, for better or worse, I suggest an audition if you can, so you can draw your own conclusions.  My only warning is this: be prepared to do a lot of smiling.  ;-}

Best regards,
Barry

jhm731

« Reply #8 on: 11 Apr 2010, 02:13 am »

So, how do they compare?

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 11 Apr 2010, 02:15 am »
So, how do they compare?

I will report back after a few more days of a/bing.  Short answer is this: both are world class, but sound quite different.  Systems and personal preferences will be the dependent variables. 

jhm731

« Reply #10 on: 11 Apr 2010, 05:22 am »
I will report back after a few more days of a/bing.  Short answer is this: both are world class, but sound quite different.  Systems and personal preferences will be the dependent variables.

Mahalo for the update.

Hopefully you'll try LIO-8 direct to your amps.

jhm731

« Reply #11 on: 9 May 2010, 04:31 pm »
So, which DACs are you going to keep?

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 9 May 2010, 04:39 pm »
I had to send the LIO-8 back to MH.  Due to my recent illness (been in hospital for six days for meds and finally a Lithotripsy, trying to pass a large kidney stone) I fell behind in evaluating its multichannel capabilities (plus wanna try it as a phono pre) so my testing was incomplete.  Although MH was very reasonable and flexible about me keeping it a few more days I couldn't give them any firm commitments with my ticking timebomb (note:  I passed the stone this morning!!!  :)  ).  I know,  too much info.   :o

However, if only for 2 channel it is wonderful.  Currently I have my equally-wonderful-for-other-reasons Weiss DAC2 back in the signal path.  I'll report back once more is known.