Need Amp Suggestions for my Diluceo's

Nick V

Need Amp Suggestions for my Diluceo's
« on: 14 Dec 2006, 05:46 am »
I run Diluceo's as my front l/r speakers in a hybrid 2channel/HT system. Right now they're being powered by a Rotel RB-1070 and I think it's time for an upgrade. I've been using this amp for approx. three years and it's time to start using it to power my centre or surrounds (it can be bridged to drive my cc).

My 2 channel consists of a Denon DVD-3910 for the source, a Monolithic Sound PA-1 passive preamp (never turn it up past half), the Rotel RB-1070, Mirage BPS-400 (occasionally) and it's all plugged into my Sound Application CF-X power conditioner via CryoClear and PS Audio power cables with Guerilla Audio pure silver IC's and GR Research Trinity Braid silver plated copper speaker cables.

My system has nice soundstage width and depth but lacks the focus that I've heard in the best systems that I've auditioned. Everything seems good, I just know that my current amp is limiting the ultimate performance of my system. I'm not looking for something that's hugely expensive and I don't need gobs of power. I'm just looking for something that will provide excellent transparency and resolution and hopefully provide a slightly smoother presentation in the high frequencies.

I've been considering the Quad 909 power amp that is known for great midrange performance, the Butler 2250 or 5150 (used is all I can afford here), or possibly the new Bel Canto S300 digital offering. The Channel Islands D100 and 200 are also intriguing. Only problem is I've never had the chance to audition any of these amps. Hoping for some help...

jon_010101

Re: Need Amp Suggestions for my Diluceo's
« Reply #1 on: 14 Dec 2006, 08:20 am »
I run Diluceo's as my front l/r speakers in a hybrid 2channel/HT system. Right now they're being powered by a Rotel RB-1070 and I think it's time for an upgrade. I've been using this amp for approx. three years and it's time to start using it to power my centre or surrounds (it can be bridged to drive my cc).

My system has nice soundstage width and depth but lacks the focus that I've heard in the best systems that I've auditioned. Everything seems good, I just know that my current amp is limiting the ultimate performance of my system. I'm not looking for something that's hugely expensive and I don't need gobs of power. I'm just looking for something that will provide excellent transparency and resolution and hopefully provide a slightly smoother presentation in the high frequencies.

I have little/no constructive advice to offer, but I must agree: the Diluceos are very revealing of amplifier capabilities.  They are extremely transparent, brutally honest, and don't add any extra body and texture to the sound.  With my tube amps, I can hear stupidly-subtle variations in my system -- tube bias, line voltage, trivial channel imbalances, differences in tube brands/production runs.  By comparison, my Paradox 1's sounded mostly the same regardless of what I did (which is good, but the Diluceos are simply in a different league of resolution).  They aren't easy to position either (of course, my room sucks)..., some times everything "clicks" and I get holographic-staring-into-another-world imaging, other times I feel like I'm going crosseyed :?.  This is not to say I don't like them -- they really make music when they are fed properly.  I've been using them (on my tube system) for some recording/mixing projects for a friend and, damn, you can hear everything, and it doesn't even hurt :o.  Frankly, I'm at a total loss as to what I could even replace them with if I get a bigger room :green:.

Regarding amps, I'd be inclined towards tubes (push-pull) or traditional solid state, something which is 4-ohm-friendly, with a goodly bit of grip and finesse.  I would, personally, hesitate to go in the digital direction but I suspect Danny could make some recommendations for them.  Out of the amps you mention, the Butler sounds promising on paper (although the zero-feedback claim troubles me), but I've never heard them.  So, my post is useless, but I can relate to your concern... the Diluceos have laughed at many amplifiers I've dared to try with them.  They never sounded bad with my lesser amps (and some of my lesser amps were certainly a few steps below your Rotel), but it took some evolutionary amplifier upgrades before they started to show off.
« Last Edit: 14 Dec 2006, 09:17 am by jon_010101 »

Nick V

« Reply #2 on: 15 Dec 2006, 06:20 pm »
Thanks for the reply. As far as tubes go, what would be the minimum amount of power that you'd recommend to power the Diluceo's? The Bella Extreme 3205 looks interesting @ 60 w/ch that should be enough juice for these guys?

jon_010101

« Reply #3 on: 18 Dec 2006, 05:05 am »
Thanks for the reply. As far as tubes go, what would be the minimum amount of power that you'd recommend to power the Diluceo's? The Bella Extreme 3205 looks interesting @ 60 w/ch that should be enough juice for these guys?

Personally, I get by quite well on about 15 watts from push-pull triode-wired KT66's.  But, since you have 'em in a home theater, I'd say 6550s/KT88s would be worthwhile.  One caveat with push-pull ultra-linear amps like the Bella is the reduced damping factor vs. push-pull triode ... I also like tube amps with a sufficient feedback to flatten the frequency response out -- a total sin to a lot of audiophiles, but a personal preference.  If you can borrow a tube amp from a friend it would give you a good idea as to what you like/need.  40-60 Watts should be plenty if the amp can keep the Diluceos well-controlled (assuming you don't like wicked-loud music / explosion sounds).
« Last Edit: 18 Dec 2006, 09:40 am by jon_010101 »

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 19 Dec 2006, 01:46 am »
Mine work great with the 50 watt, Dodd, mono-blocks.

mgalusha

« Reply #5 on: 19 Dec 2006, 04:58 am »
A friend has a VanAlstine FetValve 350 (I believe) driving his and I think he's been very happy with that combination. I always like the sound when I visit his home. :thumb:

Nick V

« Reply #6 on: 20 Dec 2006, 08:42 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions. I've basically decided for a few reasons that a hybrid tube/ss amp is the way to go. Basically I enjoy loud dynamic peaks from HT (I have a hybrid HT/2 channel system) and I also enjoy listening to loud music on occasion.

I've narrowed it down to a pair of CC poon modded monarchy SE-160 hybrids "will actually put out between 180 - 200 watts @ 8ohms.WBT top line Platinum binding posts and WBT topline RCA's. Also Welbourne teflon/gold octal tube sockets."

Also looking at the Van Alstine FetValve 350. I have heard great things about the Van Alstine units but again have not actually heard them myself.

Pricing is exaclty the same for the used Monarchy mono's or the new Van Alstine. Hoping for some comments from people that have experience with either or both amps...

Thanks,
Nick

jon_010101

« Reply #7 on: 20 Dec 2006, 09:31 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions. I've basically decided for a few reasons that a hybrid tube/ss amp is the way to go. Basically I enjoy loud dynamic peaks from HT (I have a hybrid HT/2 channel system) and I also enjoy listening to loud music on occasion.

Just to stir things up, I noticed this on audiogon: http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstube&1170026706

Nick V

« Reply #8 on: 21 Dec 2006, 06:08 am »
 :drool:  Unfortunately my budjet is maxed out @ $1600 USD (the canadian $ has tanked a few pennies worth as of late)

Nick V

« Reply #9 on: 23 Dec 2006, 01:22 am »
well, getting a great deal on a pair of "as new" Bel Canto eOne M300's. I'll give them a try and see if I like them, and if not I'll flip them and go for something tubed.

Thanks for the input...

Nick

Nick V

« Reply #10 on: 9 Jan 2007, 12:17 am »
The sale fell through on the Bel Canto mono's but I just delivered payment on a Blue Circle BC 24 tube hybrid. I feel better about this amp and am very excited to hear what differences it might make in my system. It should arrive within a week. Can't wait...

Nick

Lawler Bb

« Reply #11 on: 9 Jan 2007, 02:37 am »
My old Linn Powertek does a stand-up job for me with its 50 watts.  I wonder what an AVA amplifier would sound like with my Super Pas 4i preamp.  Good luck with the Blue Circle.  Should be fun!

Nick V

« Reply #12 on: 25 Jan 2007, 08:44 pm »
Well, received the Blue Circle a little while ago, and it seems to be a perfect match with the speakers in my system. It provides just what I had hoped for. The sounstage seems a touch wider and a touch taller, with significantly increased depth. The highs are just that perfect little bit smoother and the midrange has just a touch more warmth. All these little differences add up to much more enjoyable listening experience. And the best part? Music sounds just that much more musical.

I am delighted with the performance of this amp, and am excited to see how much it can improve in the months and years to come with some higher quality tubes.

Now onto the next upgrade, looking at the Ciaudio VDA-2 or sonic craft modded Dac 60.

brad b

« Reply #13 on: 26 Jan 2007, 11:35 am »
Good luck with your tube hybrid choice!  I have had the AVA 350 EX in my system for several years now running the Diluceo's and like the combo sound that the AVA provides.  With a little experimentation on the tubes I am sure you will keep yourself very busy finding the perfect sound for your room.  I know the AVA changed characteristics with several different tube types.  Most importantly, enjoy the music, and your new amp :wink:
Brad

toobluvr

« Reply #14 on: 26 Jan 2007, 06:20 pm »
The sale fell through on the Bel Canto mono's but I just delivered payment on a Blue Circle BC 24 tube hybrid. I feel better about this amp and am very excited to hear what differences it might make in my system. It should arrive within a week. Can't wait...

Nick

I have the BC 24 driving DeVore Fidelity Gibbon III monitors in my bedroom system.  I am quite impressed with the performance of this amp.  Wonderfully warm, detailed and musical sound that is natural and dimensional.  Great synergy with the Gibbons!