Upright Vacuums (Riccar and Oreck)

Scott F.

Re: Upright Vacuums (Riccar and Oreck)
« Reply #20 on: 26 May 2016, 07:48 pm »
Our Shark is good.

I'll second the Shark. Had an Oreck but didn't think it had as much suction as some of the new designs.

This is the Shark we have.
http://www.sharkclean.com/shark-rocket-powerhead-vacuum-ah452/

Granted, it's a bag-less but it empties easy enough. It has twice the power of the Oreck (or seems to). Does a great job getting up dog hair or anything else in its path. Has a swivel head like a Dyson too.

...just my $.02

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #21 on: 26 May 2016, 11:23 pm »
We have an ancient Kirby...all metal...self propelled...built like a tank, nearly as heavy.

Bought it at auction for $60 as I remember.

It seem to me that other than the bagless designs, vacuums haven't changed much in a whole bunch of years. Beater bars and suction gets the job done. Well, there's Roombas, I guess, which are  entertaining to watch...the first time.

charmerci

« Reply #22 on: 26 May 2016, 11:34 pm »
I'll second the Shark. Had an Oreck but didn't think it had as much suction as some of the new designs.

This is the Shark we have.
http://www.sharkclean.com/shark-rocket-powerhead-vacuum-ah452/

Granted, it's a bag-less but it empties easy enough. It has twice the power of the Oreck (or seems to). Does a great job getting up dog hair or anything else in its path. Has a swivel head like a Dyson too.

...just my $.02

I sold some high end, industrial type vacuum a millenium ago for a short while. (can't remember the name but it wasn't an upright) The major short-comings I learned about uprights is that all the dust and dirt is sucked through and around the motor!  :nono:  And often the dirt fills up from the bottom!  :scratch:  The most reliable should be the one that does neither. Of the suggestions, this Shark seems like the best one.

persisting1

« Reply #23 on: 27 May 2016, 08:09 pm »
A vacuum repair guy did an AMA on reddit. He's actually done multiple. It's a good read. I bought an upright Riccar based on his recommendation.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1pe2bd

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #24 on: 27 May 2016, 09:42 pm »
Kirby's offer almost no filtration.

Why do you vacuum?  So the carpet looks good or so that it is clean(er)? 

With all the time we spend inside, tighter construction, and use of central air indoor air quality is getting to be a real concern.  Just look at all the allergy meds for sale.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #25 on: 28 May 2016, 01:20 am »
A vacuum repair guy did an AMA on reddit. He's actually done multiple. It's a good read. I bought an upright Riccar based on his recommendation.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1pe2bd

Thanks for the link  Some funny stuff there too. 

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #26 on: 28 May 2016, 02:34 am »
Kirby's offer almost no filtration.

Why do you vacuum?  So the carpet looks good or so that it is clean(er)? 

With all the time we spend inside, tighter construction, and use of central air indoor air quality is getting to be a real concern.  Just look at all the allergy meds for sale.

Hmmm, interesting.  To the best of my knowledge the filtering  capability of any  bag style vacuum is about the replaceable bag and  perhaps the suction.  Not sure the brand of vacuum has any bearing on that, eh?

We vacuum because we like the noise and  tormenting the cat ... what kind of question is that, JLM?

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
« Reply #27 on: 28 May 2016, 04:41 am »
I am a vacuum freak. I just have always been interested in them. When I was little l loved the feeling of superiority I felt when I rolled that vac along capturing everything in it's path!

I have owned many vacs and would advise you to stay away from oreck. The magnesium is their response to all the complaints regarding their standard vacs. Our church has one and I tell you it is a pain to use...literally. Any vac without height adjustment is poor engineering. Just say no.

One of my favorites is the Eio from Germany, but they have not been sold here in the USA for a while and it would be difficult to get any support for them.

I can recommend the Riccar enthusiastically. It is built in the same factory as Simplicity, and their vacs have a very good and well deserved reputation as well.

Miele's are great but they are German. When they work they are superior, but they can be somewhat difficult to work on. It reminds me of German engineering during WWII. The Tiger I tank was basically a rolling pillbox with a very sophisticated anti-aircraft gun for it's main weapon. I think it needed maintenance performed on the gun after 25-30 shots because of the tight tolerances. The US and Russian tanks could literally have dirt in the barrel and fire shells all day long. :roll:

The Miele has some of the best filtration you can get.

Another German vac that I like and seems to be built a little more robustly than the Miele is called Sebo. They also have an excellent reputation.

Mind you these are serious vacs and you will be paying several hundred more than something at Costco. I don't think any of the vacs I have mentioned will let you down.

I actually think Dysons work pretty well but they are  designed to work for about 3-4 years.

dynaflo

« Reply #28 on: 29 May 2016, 12:02 am »
Windsor - Sensor

FireGuy

« Reply #30 on: 29 May 2016, 11:53 am »
I actually think Dysons work pretty well but they are  designed to work for about 3-4 years.

Going on my Dyson 9 years +.  Be cognitive of maintenance and tend to parts that should be replaced. 

fridays

« Reply #31 on: 29 May 2016, 10:29 pm »
I looked at both the brands you mentioned, but ended up with a Lindhaus, it is fantastic

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
« Reply #32 on: 30 May 2016, 07:18 pm »

Going on my Dyson 9 years +.  Be cognitive of maintenance and tend to parts that should be replaced.

In my experience, you are the exception. I have seen friends have parts simply fall off their dyson with regular use.

I looked at both the brands you mentioned, but ended up with a Lindhaus, it is fantastic

I would agree. They make great vacs but can be a little hard to find.

mcgsxr

« Reply #33 on: 31 May 2016, 12:10 am »
5 years in on our Dyson and it is running fine.

Agree about the his though.  I never use it that way as a result.

Cleaning it out once a year (disassemble and wash various parts) helps a lot.

I don't doubt there are better but it is pretty good for our use.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #34 on: 4 Jun 2016, 02:56 am »
I picked up my Riccar today.  I tried out the Miele today too.  It's awesome in terms of weight, noise and even performance.  I'm just an upright guy is what I realized.  Never been so excited to go vacuum after paying for it though.   :lol:   I'm sure the cleaning lady will enjoy using it though.   :oops:

persisting1

« Reply #35 on: 7 Jun 2016, 08:31 pm »
Nice  8) Hopefully you will be enjoying it for years to come.

Photon46

« Reply #36 on: 8 Jun 2016, 08:13 pm »
My wife & I are clean freaks and I can't tolerate cheap vacuum cleaners. After researching and looking at several brands, we sprang for a pair of Miele vacs about five years back and been very pleased. The upright Salsa vacuum is a bit of a beast though, not the easiest thing for a small petite person like my wife to maneuver in some situations. That's why we bought the small Miele stick vac also, it's easy to manage in those areas that the large one is cumbersome in. We have a Miele dealer near where I work and we can also get filters at the local Ace Hardware store. The Sebo's were my favorite, but they were a little more costly than we wanted to spend.

audio.bill

« Reply #37 on: 8 Jun 2016, 10:49 pm »
For anyone interested in a Sebo upright at a very reasonable price, I just received a brand new Windsor Sensor S12 from an eBay seller for under $400. The Windsor is a Sebo OEM model which is an extremely high quality German made product and a pleasure to use. Can't believe I'm talking like this about a vacuum! It even came with four bags, one installed and three additional. Highly recommended product and this particular seller. I have connection with the seller other than from this vacuum purchase which I just received. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS5&_nkw=222065024796&_sacat=0