Infrared Space Heaters

Doublej

Infrared Space Heaters
« on: 5 Jan 2016, 01:12 am »
I am looking for a way to occasionally put a few extra degrees of warmth into me when working in the home office during the day without having to heat an entire floor of the house.

I thought an infrared heater would be a better way to do this than the $20 fan blowing over heating coil unit I have but I haven't found an infrared model without some seeming significant negative reviews.

Anyone got a model they recommend? Room square footage is 110 square feet.

Big Red Machine

Re: Infrared Space Heaters
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jan 2016, 01:59 am »
I bought this last year at Menards and really like its intelligence, ease of use, and relatively quiet operation.  Used much less Kw than the cheapo heaters you mentioned.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lifesmart-1500-Watt-6-Element-Infrared-Room-Heater-with-Oak-Cabinet-and-Remote-LS-1000X-6W-IN/204308189?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|G|0|G-BASE-PLA-D27E-Electrical|&gclid=CPnjmPHIkcoCFQ8yaQodoroACQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #2 on: 5 Jan 2016, 04:09 am »
Tube amps.

srb

« Reply #3 on: 5 Jan 2016, 04:25 am »
Regardless of what manufacturer's marketing might imply, there is no real electrical efficiency advantage between types of space heaters, i.e. coil, ceramic/infrared, oil-filled radiator, etc.  Electrical conversion of watts to BTUs is pretty much a constant, and one might choose a particular type based on other criteria such as zone or room heating, or as previously mentioned, features such as safety, ease of use, timers, quietness, size or looks.

Efficency is gained when heating a small area versus an entire room, or heating a room versus a floor.  Infrared heaters are more directional and therefore are more "efficient" when directing heat to a specific area such as when sitting, versus trying to circulate heated air for comfort anywhere in a room.

Steve

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jan 2016, 05:09 am »
In my old house, I had one similar to the first reply for a bit and then a parabolic one.  The master bedroom would get colder than the rest of the house and I didn't want to run high central heat during the night in a big house for using one room.  The type in the earlier post is a bit better for heating a whole room vs. a parabolic which is better at heating a spot.  They have oscillating parabolics now - e.g. - http://www.harborfreight.com/400900-watt-oscillating-parabolic-heater-62313.html

May pick up one of the above tomorrow for a little heat in the bedroom when it gets a bit colder and also to drag outside on the covered porch.  If they have it in stock and with a 20% off coupon it's not a big investment.  I use to also take my old parabolic heater and move it around.  For example if I was watching a movie in the basement of the old house, I'd point it towards my chair or if I was on the computer in the office, I'd do the same.  Not quite sure how an oscillating one is going to do given it heats one spot but I don't have much to lose and it won't get used all that many days in my case in FL.

A 110 sq. ft. room is not big.  Also depends on where you can put it given the rest of the furniture, whether you want something that looks like furniture or a fireplace (e.g. - http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200649049_200649049?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Heaters,%20Stoves%20%2B%20Fireplaces%20%3E%20Electric%20Heaters&utm_campaign=ProFusion%20Heat&utm_content=48784&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=48784&gclid=CNqaxd7zkcoCFdgWgQod_PYGiQ), etc.