Folsom's great little 7297 Chip Amp

mrmky

Re: Folsom's great little 7297 Chip Amp
« Reply #120 on: 1 Feb 2016, 05:21 am »
I'm a brand new member here and would like your amp to be my next project, how do I get a board and bom ordered?

lacro

« Reply #121 on: 1 Feb 2016, 04:10 pm »
I need to get some solder. Whats the current suggested type? I have always used Kester 44, 60/40, .031 diameter. Should I switch to Kester 63/37 Eutectic, and what diameter is best? How about Cardas, worth the $?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #122 on: 1 Feb 2016, 04:17 pm »
I need to get some solder. Whats the current suggested type? I have always used Kester 44, 60/40, .031 diameter. Should I switch to Kester 63/37 Eutectic, and what diameter is best? How about Cardas, worth the $?
Don't know about the Cardas being worth the money, but it is easier to work with than Kester 60/40.

Mmaxed

« Reply #123 on: 2 Feb 2016, 08:53 pm »
Heads up for any one using Jeremy's Mouser BOM.  I put my order in last week using the BOM and did not check the cart over.  Today when the package arrived I had ordered one of each component not the quantity indicated in the BOM.  Not a big deal to me as I had forgotten some other stuff needed any way.  No idea if that's just the way it works or if I made an error importing it to Mouser. 

Folsom

« Reply #124 on: 2 Feb 2016, 09:19 pm »
Heads up for any one using Jeremy's Mouser BOM.  I put my order in last week using the BOM and did not check the cart over.  Today when the package arrived I had ordered one of each component not the quantity indicated in the BOM.  Not a big deal to me as I had forgotten some other stuff needed any way.  No idea if that's just the way it works or if I made an error importing it to Mouser.

Seriously?  :duh:  The BOM's have the quantity... I'll pass this on with email.

Folsom

« Reply #125 on: 2 Feb 2016, 11:53 pm »
I've been in contact with Mouser.

As long as I make sure to specify the quantity column when I upload it, it works fine. Their system is a bit complicated for such a simple task.

You can also use the "EZ Buy" tool.

Mmaxed

« Reply #126 on: 3 Feb 2016, 12:09 am »
Awe crap, my mistake.  I am pretty sure I did not specify the quantity column.  I just ASSumed that the columns would all follow in as in Jeremy's BOM.  It does seem like a kinda strange process getting it in.

Sorry for the alarm, but maybe it will prevent someone else having the same issue.

Mark

Folsom

« Reply #127 on: 3 Feb 2016, 12:11 am »
Well I tried to sell kits instead but that didn't go so hot :lol: .

Mmaxed

« Reply #128 on: 3 Feb 2016, 04:04 am »
No worries Jeremy, it seems there is a learning curve for a lot of us.  That's part of the fun and challenge. :beer:

lacro

« Reply #129 on: 3 Feb 2016, 02:40 pm »
I've been in contact with Mouser.

As long as I make sure to specify the quantity column when I upload it, it works fine. Their system is a bit complicated for such a simple task.

You can also use the "EZ Buy" tool.

I did specify the quantity column with my order. However, Mouser's system must be buggy, as it INCREASED some of the parts quantities. Example: It changed the Oscon caps quantity from 12 to 27 ?? Some other parts were increased as well. I had to go line by line and change everything to the correct quantity. 

lacro

« Reply #130 on: 3 Feb 2016, 03:06 pm »
Don't know about the Cardas being worth the money, but it is easier to work with than Kester 60/40.

OK... Cardas is easier to work with. I will get a small amount of Cardas to try with the amp board, but how about Kester 63/37 Eutectic? I need solder for everyday use. I am going to buy a 1# roll so should I stay with 60/40 or go with 63/37??  Opinions/experiences appreciated!

Mmaxed

« Reply #131 on: 3 Feb 2016, 04:17 pm »
When I first started DIY a few years ago, I bought a pound of Kester 63/37 .031 diam.  It was what I started with and all I used for several years.  Don't really do a lot of solder work.  A while back when ordering a new soldering station to replace the cheapie that died, I added a lb of 60/40 to try, don't remember the brand.  Took it for a test run and didn't like using it.  With the 63/37 eutectic when you lift the iron it almost instantly solidifies.  The 60/40 takes several seconds to do so.  For a fellow like me that shakes the quick to set makes life easier.  Maybe if I'd learned on 60/40 my opinion would be different.   

Folsom

« Reply #132 on: 3 Feb 2016, 05:10 pm »
I've been using Kester 44, for a long time. It's like the roll doesn't end. I have some WBT too, for doing silver connections. It's ok, nothing overly special. Technique is what seems to be the most important.

On another note... someone get one running :lol:

Brad

« Reply #133 on: 4 Feb 2016, 08:04 pm »
I just checked on the boards. They ship to me tomorrow.  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Oh and I have some Great News.

While I've been writing up some instructions and checking the BOM over for like the 10th time to make sure it's perfect, I decided to do a test with another part. The result is you guys will save $10, and the best part... It's a huge upgrade, the amp sounds way better than when anyone heard it before. 8)

Hopefully silly question:   Is this change included in the boards/BOM that shipped?

Folsom

« Reply #134 on: 4 Feb 2016, 08:09 pm »
Yes.

Folsom

« Reply #135 on: 9 Feb 2016, 02:00 am »
Surely someone here has got the amp running?  :lol:

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #136 on: 9 Feb 2016, 02:59 am »
Surely someone here has got the amp running?  :lol:

Gonna be a while for me, I'm eyeball deep in speaker project and heading into busy season. Any chance you could resend BOM? I just changed over to new computer and had Outlook go sideways which took yours and some others to never-to-be-seen-again ethers. Thanks!

Folsom

« Reply #137 on: 9 Feb 2016, 03:46 am »
Certainly.

I bet some of you will regret not building it sooner. A week ago I did the upgrade to the amp I sold to my buddy to replace his Bryston. A few highlights...

• It's more like a $3000 upgrade.
  • The power it has now, it's as if it is more powerful than my Bryston [3BSST2]
  • I can hear everything now, even stuff I didn't think you were suppose to be able to understand without it cranked.
  • There's no need to really increase the volume, you get everything you want at all volume levels.
  • It's the easiest listening I've ever had. In fact I found myself a few times going into a meditative trance, which has never happened before.

lacro

« Reply #138 on: 9 Feb 2016, 11:59 pm »
Certainly.

I bet some of you will regret not building it sooner. A week ago I did the upgrade to the amp I sold to my buddy to replace his Bryston. A few highlights...

• It's more like a $3000 upgrade.
  • The power it has now, it's as if it is more powerful than my Bryston [3BSST2]
  • I can hear everything now, even stuff I didn't think you were suppose to be able to understand without it cranked.
  • There's no need to really increase the volume, you get everything you want at all volume levels.
  • It's the easiest listening I've ever had. In fact I found myself a few times going into a meditative trance, which has never happened before.

Upgrade??

Folsom

« Reply #139 on: 10 Feb 2016, 12:03 am »
It's included in the BOM everyone received. It's an upgrade over the versions other people heard that have posted in the thread. There's nothing for you to "change".