Noisy 4B SST2

1ZIP

Noisy 4B SST2
« on: 28 Jan 2011, 03:47 am »
James...anybody?

I've had my Amp for about a year, It's always been pugged into the wall socket & I use it every day.  Today I plugged it into my new Torus, turned the amp on and instead of a quiet red to green transition, the amp buzzes then the green lights come on. 

Just curious what's going on and why it does it only when connected to to the Torus?

vengky

Re: Noisy 4B SST2
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jan 2011, 04:46 am »
Connected to the wall. Red lights with buzz then green.

Cheers
VK

servingko

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jan 2011, 01:13 pm »
I have the same problem with a B100SST.  Plugged into the wall it quietly goes from RED to GREEN.  Plugged into my Torus it buzzes while RED and then goes quiet when GREEN.

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #3 on: 28 Jan 2011, 01:47 pm »
My 28B SST² amplifiers starts (Buzz) the same way because of a “soft start” power up (I do not have a Torus). I am wondering if the Torus unit also has a “soft start” power up sequence and this may be causing your amplifiers to Buzz like mine do.

Be well...   

Ryanz

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jan 2011, 03:13 pm »
My 4BSST2 does the same thing, it's plugged directly into the wall. 

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #5 on: 28 Jan 2011, 10:34 pm »
same here, both when plugged directly into the wall and when plugged into my parrallel conditioner.

Bugsy

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jan 2011, 11:04 pm »
I have a 14BSST2 and a Torus RM20 and I get the "buzz"  :D when the red light comes on the amp and until it switches to green. I get it no matter if it is plugged in to the RM20 or a wall circuit.
« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2011, 05:05 am by Bugsy »

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #7 on: 29 Jan 2011, 06:41 am »
I have 7B SST2's with the " Torus  transformers"  and they do the power-up buzz until they stabilize ( lights turn green ) - they are then dead silent. I believe in the case of the 7's at least that this is a characteristic of these transformers as they "juice up " so I don't sweat it. I actually like that buzzzzz- It reminds me of the great power at my command and that I should only use it for good, not evil...think of your neighbors, guys!  :D

D.

drummermitchell

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jan 2011, 08:25 pm »
My whole being shivers when my 28's go thru the softstart sequence zzzztclick,where's the wife.

1ZIP

« Reply #9 on: 29 Jan 2011, 09:08 pm »
 :lol: :lol:

drummermitchell

« Reply #10 on: 29 Jan 2011, 11:45 pm »
Forgot to mention,the 28's and 7B-sst have a deathgrip on my 60a(240v)Torus,or perhaps it's the
other way around.

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #11 on: 30 Jan 2011, 12:39 am »
My whole being shivers when my 28's go thru the softstart sequence zzzztclick,where's the wife.

Perhaps could it be the....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v16KFXa2njo&feature=related

Be well...

drummermitchell

« Reply #12 on: 30 Jan 2011, 01:03 am »
So,after all these years it's not true the:The girls get prettier at closin time.
He,She, either way not good,scary :o :lol:,good one.

gjorgji

« Reply #13 on: 30 Jan 2011, 06:19 am »
What you hear is inrush current: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inrush_current. I have the same amp connected directly, and have the same buzz (1s). Maybe in your case ( connected to Torus) in more noticeable as it might limit(Torus) the amount of current... imho ..

1ZIP

« Reply #14 on: 30 Jan 2011, 05:35 pm »
Okay..I think my few remaining brain cells have kicked in.  The Torus provides instantaneous high current, the wall outlet does not, at least in my home.  The inrush limiters in the amp protect against what the Torus provides initially, hence the buzzing.
So, I have lazy current flow in the house that doesn't ramp up fast enough to trip the amp limiters.  I guess this is a good and bad situation.  I get all the sonic benefits of the Torus at the risk of frying the amp if the limiters fail.  On the other hand since I don't get high instantaneous current from the wall outlets the rest of the electrical appliances in the house are less subject to potential damage, hence possible longer life.

I think I got it.....who said the PhD went to waste!

Levi

« Reply #15 on: 30 Jan 2011, 05:56 pm »
What? 

Can you please explain further why you think that your wall has a lazy current flow.   :scratch:

Okay..I think my few remaining brain cells have kicked in.  The Torus provides instantaneous high current, the wall outlet does not, at least in my home.  The inrush limiters in the amp protect against what the Torus provides initially, hence the buzzing.
So, I have lazy current flow in the house that doesn't ramp up fast enough to trip the amp limiters.  I guess this is a good and bad situation.  I get all the sonic benefits of the Torus at the risk of frying the amp if the limiters fail.  On the other hand since I don't get high instantaneous current from the wall outlets the rest of the electrical appliances in the house are less subject to potential damage, hence possible longer life.

I think I got it.....who said the PhD went to waste!
« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2011, 05:47 am by Levi »

1ZIP

« Reply #16 on: 30 Jan 2011, 07:36 pm »
Well.....lazy current flow was a tongue in cheek comment as were others.  All I'm saying is that I think it's the high instantaneous current available to the amp from the Torus that is sufficient to cause whatever is buzzing in the amp to buzz.  Where as the current coming out of the wall isn't.  I'm sure the inrush limiters work in either case but that's the original question what causes the buzzing in one case and not the other and what exactly is buzzing?

Napalm

« Reply #17 on: 30 Jan 2011, 10:45 pm »
What you guys really need is one of these installed in your backyard:

Nap.  :green:

gjorgji

« Reply #18 on: 31 Jan 2011, 01:23 am »
Well.....lazy current flow was a tongue in cheek comment as were others.  All I'm saying is that I think it's the high instantaneous current available to the amp from the Torus that is sufficient to cause whatever is buzzing in the amp to buzz.  Where as the current coming out of the wall isn't.  I'm sure the inrush limiters work in either case but that's the original question what causes the buzzing in one case and not the other and what exactly is buzzing?

It's mechanical noise from toroid transformer core going into saturation.

The Torus will not give you more current then outlet. The idea with devices like Torus is to make galvanic insulation: ex. electric shock, line noise, ground loops, etc... between your equipment and outlet. But for amps, your much better of with outlet, 20A dedicated if possible.  I think all of the Bryston amps have input filter for some basic power line parasites  :)

lanchile

« Reply #19 on: 31 Jan 2011, 03:07 am »
It's mechanical noise from toroid transformer core going into saturation.

The Torus will not give you more current then outlet. The idea with devices like Torus is to make galvanic insulation: ex. electric shock, line noise, ground loops, etc... between your equipment and outlet. But for amps, your much better of with outlet, 20A dedicated if possible.  I think all of the Bryston amps have input filter for some basic power line parasites  :)

I second this too!. I would just leave it alone with just a dedicated breaker 15A. :thumb: