Ambiophonics

Hipper

Re: Ambiophonics
« Reply #40 on: 25 Aug 2019, 09:22 am »
Thank you.

You don't think using a panel beside each speaker will achieve much then?

I asked about frequency range because of it relates to panel thickness.

The problem for me is that currently I use a CD Transport, digital EQ and DAC (with no USB input) all connected with balanced XLR cables (the equaliser uses only balanced XLR).

Most of the software or hardware seem to be impractical in my current set up.

BACCH either offer very expensive hardware or Mac based software.

ST

« Reply #41 on: 25 Aug 2019, 11:19 am »
Thank you.

You don't think using a panel beside each speaker will achieve much then?

I asked about frequency range because of it relates to panel thickness.

The problem for me is that currently I use a CD Transport, digital EQ and DAC (with no USB input) all connected with balanced XLR cables (the equaliser uses only balanced XLR).

Most of the software or hardware seem to be impractical in my current set up.

BACCH either offer very expensive hardware or Mac based software.

You are facing the same dilemma I used to DAC. Despite knowing about Ambiophonics in early 2000, I refused to let go my Theta DAC and Transport and then Marantz SACd and Sony multi channel SACD. In 2009, built a dedicated room and had a good stereo system. Then I tried again with Minidsp Ambio with the intention of modifying it so that it could accept XLR from preamp to Amp. Luckily, the Suptratek and Classe Amp had RCA and XLR option. Tried that and after about a year. Sold everything and bought a Motu24Ao for virtual hall and a Crown to drive Sound lab ESL. Ambio is a different world, it will outclass stereo playback easily even with cheap equipment. Search for Howard Kneller of Soundstage review of Ambiophonics to understand the difference.

Panels are not going to work well if you cannot prevent the sound from 200 to about 5000Hz reaching the opposite ears.

Email Ralph if you need help with your current setup.

Cheers!

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #42 on: 25 Aug 2019, 12:27 pm »
It figures that the one thread that I leave alone to die a quick and peaceful death continues on for six years.  🙄

Hipper

« Reply #43 on: 26 Aug 2019, 11:31 am »
Thanks again.

I'll experiment with panels and speaker position using different recordings and see what happens.

I'll report back.

ST

« Reply #44 on: 10 Sep 2019, 01:36 am »
Thanks again.

I'll experiment with panels and speaker position using different recordings and see what happens.

I'll report back.

It may be possible to use different kind of crosstalk cancellation with the existing 60 degrees speakers setup. I am still working on it and if you have any reference recording, I could convert it so that you can use them to do A/B comparisons without needing to change anything. You don’t even need the panel and the speakers can remain at current position. You would still hear better separation and details compared to ordinary stereo sound. Try this Famous Blue Raincoat and see if you perceive any difference.

https://youtu.be/UptuwWoQ1O8