Need power to drive LS50 metas?

Fosmosis

Need power to drive LS50 metas?
« on: 8 Nov 2021, 04:38 am »
I currently have an Arcam a19 that is being used as a preamp with an Arcam p25 driving a pair of LS50s. The p25 can put out 100w per channel and is working well but I have an option to get some more power either with a used parasound a21 or a beefy Adcom 555se. Do you think I would hear any appreciable difference with the added wattage or should I just leave things alone? If I did switch woild the a19 be a good fit to continue acting as a preamp and phono amp for my turntable? Just curious on what could be as the Kef's are not hard to drive but I heard like big, high current power.

Another thought would be an Anthem 225 integrated for all needs, power, phono, etc...and do away with the separates.

maty

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Need power to drive LS50 metas?
« Reply #2 on: 8 Nov 2021, 12:11 pm »
KEF LS50 meta specifications: 85 dB/w/m, maximum output 106 dB > about 140 watts maximum, so you "should" be good to go.  IMO 106 dB maximum output is pretty wimpy, especially since F3 is 79 Hz, also not specified at a given distance.  85 dB/w/m is fairly inefficient and the woofer is small.  I'd be more interested in the R3 or even the LS50 wireless.

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: Need power to drive LS50 metas?
« Reply #3 on: 8 Nov 2021, 04:36 pm »
You will hear a difference with different amps because they do sound different.  It may not be due to more power though, just the design and sonic signature  of the amp.  However, dynamics may improve with an amp with higher current and capacitance, especially at loud volumes.  You never know until you try. 

I use to own an A21, it is a nice amp but there are much better.  It  drove my Magnepan 1.6's  well  but can't hold a candle to my Pass X250.

I prefer separates as there is more versatility and they generally sound better than an Integrated amp but I understand the appeal of an Integrated.  I will probably buy a high end Integrated in a few years as I get older. as I don't need to lug around a 105lb amp and 50 pound preamp.  I gave my son my A21 and he eventually sold it and bought a Cary Integrated SL-300.2d with built in DAC that sounds better than the A21.