Big Red Machine's V3's

jsalk

Big Red Machine's V3's
« on: 1 Apr 2007, 03:24 pm »
I met Pete last fall when he ordered a custom pair of HT3's.  After they were completed, Pete hosted a home theater/audio get-together at this home.  Since we had just completed the first pair of V3's at the time, I brought them to his event to get some initial reactions to the new design.

When the event concluded, it was late and I didn't feel like packing them up again.  So I suggested that I leave them behind and Pete could install them in his home theater and let me know what he thought of them.

A few days later, Pete expressed his mild displeasure with me.  It turns out that the V3's provided a level of detail and realism in his home theater that his previous speakers did not.  So it was going to cost him some money.  That, of course, was not my intention.  I was merely wanting his honest evaluation of the design.  Oh well...

When we discussed his application, it was obvious that flat black speakers were in order (to cut down on reflections).  But a few months earlier I had done a pair of HT3's for the Rocky Mountain Audiofest.  They were piano black cabinets with Mexican cocobolo front baffles. 

We decided to copy the concept and veneered the front of his V3's in rosewood.  Here are the results...

And a close-up...

Of course, while we were working on this pair, Pete asked about a center channel to go with them.  But he didn't want just any kind of center channel.  He wasted a MONSTER full-range 3-way center.  So we are now in the process of developing that model (the cabient is almost complete).  It will be 36" wide, 14" tall and 14" deep.  More on that when the design is complete...

Happy listening, Pete and Brenda!

- Jim

Toka

Re: Big Red Machine's V3's
« Reply #1 on: 2 Apr 2007, 02:27 pm »
Happy listening indeed! Bet it sounds even better than it looks. Will the center channel use the same/similar drivers? Might just have to build some bipole/dipole surrounds to make the 'V3' home theater experience complete.  :icon_twisted:

jsalk

Re: Big Red Machine's V3's
« Reply #2 on: 2 Apr 2007, 07:54 pm »
Toka -

Happy listening indeed! Bet it sounds even better than it looks. Will the center channel use the same/similar drivers?

Yes...same family of drivers.

Might just have to build some bipole/dipole surrounds to make the 'V3' home theater experience complete.  :icon_twisted:

Who knows...

- Jim