subwoofer for HD-AVA (and IDA32) + LS50 combo

envydd

subwoofer for HD-AVA (and IDA32) + LS50 combo
« on: 25 Dec 2018, 11:57 pm »
I love my LS50/Nuprime combo - soundstage detail etc with my HD-AVA amp without going towards huge floor standers. However I would like to explore some more low end (LS50 has a response of 79Hz -3dB). What sub would work well with my setup. My living room is 20x30 (speakers are 10ft away in the center and 1ft from the 20' wall and my couch is 10ft away from each speaker (triangle).

Ideas?

JackD

Re: subwoofer for HD-AVA (and IDA32) + LS50 combo
« Reply #1 on: 26 Dec 2018, 02:13 am »
Rythmik F12 a pair of them would be my first choice but if you are going to connect them via the SE outputs on the HD-AVA then this pair of L12's in the Trading post would work fine.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=161369.0

envydd

« Reply #2 on: 26 Dec 2018, 06:58 am »
Thx @JackD ...  will check them out. My furniture is all gloss white, else the L12 looks good!

Evoke

• Industry Participant
    • EVOKE Planar Loudspeakers
« Reply #3 on: 26 Dec 2018, 02:24 pm »
I love my LS50/Nuprime combo - soundstage detail etc with my HD-AVA amp without going towards huge floor standers. However I would like to explore some more low end (LS50 has a response of 79Hz -3dB). What sub would work well with my setup. My living room is 20x30 (speakers are 10ft away in the center and 1ft from the 20' wall and my couch is 10ft away from each speaker (triangle).

Ideas?

Couple of things - First - you're wonderfully spoiled with a full range driver. Mating it to a sub will be a nightmare if you don't do it right. Trust me - I lose sleep with my designs.

With your 10' triangle - forget the room - focus on that area only. You don't need a large sub. You also don't technically need a sub - it's more important that the driver is fast and integrates with the LS50.

I don't personally like a lot of options out there. The players are boring if you ask me. I'm going to suggest REL. Some great stuff - although they are a bit snoody.

The REL T/9i is offers the best performance/price you can get. It's a great match for my Ruby. It's also available in white. While it's not cheap - it's the right sub for you. Your LS50 and other gear weren't cheap - check it out I think you will be impressed.  rel (dot) net

envydd

« Reply #4 on: 26 Dec 2018, 05:04 pm »
Thx @evoke - I am really spoilt by my LS50s. Maybe you are right, I need to think carefully and ensure the sub can keep up with the dynamics of the LS50/Nuprime combo. Will check out the REL 9 too (the white color helps!).

zappan

« Reply #5 on: 26 Dec 2018, 05:18 pm »
I happily own a Rel, paired with similarly small speakers, and can only recommend one.
Though, T9/i might be too big, check this page out: https://rel.net/speaker-pairing/ls50/

Update: this article is quite informative for bigger vs. a pair: https://rel.net/go-big-or-go-for-pairs/

Evoke

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 26 Dec 2018, 05:27 pm »
Thx @evoke - I am really spoilt by my LS50s. Maybe you are right, I need to think carefully and ensure the sub can keep up with the dynamics of the LS50/Nuprime combo. Will check out the REL 9 too (the white color helps!).

Glad to be of help. I can tell you that I prefer clean bass to extended boomy bass.... For that anyone can build an insane LFE for movies :-)

Evoke

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 26 Dec 2018, 05:29 pm »
I happily own a Rel, paired with similarly small speakers, and can only recommend one.
Though, T9/i might be too big, check this page out: https://rel.net/speaker-pairing/ls50/

Update: this article is quite informative for bigger vs. a pair: https://rel.net/go-big-or-go-for-pairs/

I forgot about that buying tool they have! Thanks for linking. Be very curious to hear your thoughts on balancing the sound - did you follow their suggestions on blending, crossovers etc? REL has mush different thinking on this. I'd be very interested in your real-world experience.

zappan

« Reply #8 on: 30 Dec 2018, 12:40 pm »

I forgot about that buying tool they have! Thanks for linking. Be very curious to hear your thoughts on balancing the sound - did you follow their suggestions on blending, crossovers etc? REL has mush different thinking on this. I'd be very interested in your real-world experience.

In short - positioning in the corner such as they recommend did not work that well for me, it works better at the back wall, but outside of the corner and close to the speaker. About blending, I mostly followed their approach. But, let's not saturate this thread with this (as it's not about NuPrime gear), if you need some more details, shoot me a message.

OzarkTom

« Reply #9 on: 30 Dec 2018, 01:25 pm »
The Rel would be a great choice. Another option is SVS. I have heard a lot if great news about them. You can get a pair of these for less than the Rel. Or for a few more bucks, get a swarm of four. Some here says the swarm sounds the best.

https://www.amazon.com/SVS-SB-1000-Controlled-Compact-Subwoofers/dp/B078SYN5BN/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1546175299&sr=1-4&keywords=piano+white+svs
« Last Edit: 30 Dec 2018, 06:36 pm by OzarkTom »

OzarkTom

« Reply #10 on: 30 Dec 2018, 10:58 pm »

triumph

« Reply #11 on: 15 Jan 2019, 01:52 pm »
envydd,

When you do get your sub, remember that you can time align it (or them) with your LS50s within the HD-AVA.
It will go a long way to sound clean and snappy, which ever sub you get.

envydd

« Reply #12 on: 16 Jan 2019, 12:24 am »
Thx @triumph I have to try this time alignment thing. Never even connected the AVA to a monitor via HDMI since I got it :)