Cheap DACs

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Cheap DACs
« Reply #40 on: 15 Oct 2009, 02:32 pm »
Ok, let's ask a specific question.  I have a Cambridge 640cdp bought here on AC used for two hundred bucksl.  Is there a $200 dac that will improve the detail, dynamics, imaging, etc of this piece of equipment?  I just put a Buffalo Dac on it with only mixed results.

srb

« Reply #41 on: 15 Oct 2009, 02:50 pm »
Ok, let's ask a specific question.  I have a Cambridge 640cdp bought here on AC used for two hundred bucksl.  Is there a $200 dac that will improve the detail, dynamics, imaging, etc of this piece of equipment?  I just put a Buffalo Dac on it with only mixed results.

I am surprised to hear this.

Why is that?  The Buffalo, with it's ESS Sabre DAC chip, should technically have superiority over the Wolfsons in the Cambridge CDP.

The Sabre is also touted for it's ability to be simpatico with a digital input that doesn't have the lowest jitter.  Must be something in the implementation, analog output stage, or for lack of a technical explanation, synergy.

Sorry, don't have a recommendation, but more than any other component, the DAC seems to be the one that many people cycle through, looking for the perfect 'fit'.

Steve

S Clark

« Reply #42 on: 15 Oct 2009, 08:36 pm »
Not really surprisingly, it sounds absolutely great in a different system with better amps, less resolving speakers, and a fairly inexpensive Marantz 5400 cdp.  I am just beginning to experience this whole "synergy" thing, which makes it definitely harder to just read up and buy once  :cry:

Mariusz

« Reply #43 on: 17 Oct 2009, 01:38 am »
Guys. Thanks for all your suggestions.
Yup, I am more confused now then I was few days ago. :lol:

Mariusz :thumb:

S Clark

« Reply #44 on: 17 Oct 2009, 01:53 am »
Always glad to help out a fellow AC'er!   :lol:

Quiet Earth

« Reply #45 on: 17 Oct 2009, 02:42 am »
It's kind of amazing that you have this many to choose from at $200 and less. So far it's :

Jolida (soon to be released)
Blue Circle Thingee
HRT Music Streamer
Zero DAC
Art DI/O, (used)
Zhaolu Dacs
Moodlab Concept (used)
AudioMagus Super Pro DAC707SE
"Hot Audio Products" usb dac (???)

Eeny, meeny, miny, moe . . . . :dunno:

pardales

« Reply #46 on: 17 Oct 2009, 03:16 am »
I spent a little time with the Beresford DAC. Very impressive for $250 delivered. It did some things better than my reference DAC but was not, in the end, more enjoyable to me. Its USB input was excellent though and it had great inner detail and nice presence.

roscoeiii

« Reply #47 on: 17 Oct 2009, 03:19 am »
There's also the upgraded Beresdord Caiman, with a different DAC chip, op-amps and power supply. But it's moving a little outside your price range. Beresford 7520s can also be converted to Caimans by a skilled DIYer.

JohnR

« Reply #48 on: 17 Oct 2009, 03:36 am »
King Rex have one too - I forget the name

Mariusz

« Reply #49 on: 17 Oct 2009, 03:44 am »
King Rex have one too - I forget the name

Looks good. I've read about it.
http://www.kingrex.co.uk/dac.html

mjosef

« Reply #50 on: 17 Oct 2009, 05:20 am »
Add also the MCM 7510 DAC, sometimes available for $90. or less....just chuck the supplied power cord/supply, and go battery or linear PS. Do a couple mods, and you got a decent DAC for less than 160.
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/50-7774

JohnR

« Reply #51 on: 17 Oct 2009, 08:40 am »

This is a bit off-topic, but Cambridge Audio (the British company, there is a company in the US with a similar name) do seem to have a knack for putting together gear that sounds quite good at a very reasonable price. I have three items of theirs in the 5xx series, I'm not going to provide a review but it did exceed my expectations for what I paid. I would go as far as to suggest that a receiver from their lower-end 3 or 5 series would be a good candidate for the core of a "cheap and cheerful" system that meets the published guidelines.

Caar

« Reply #52 on: 17 Oct 2009, 09:00 am »
Cambridge Audio (UK) has the DAC Magic (270?, approx. 340$US) which is great (I have one).

GBB

« Reply #53 on: 17 Oct 2009, 04:02 pm »
. . . it would help me (and others too) put a really inexpensive system to show at one of our audiophile meets.
USB DAC would be preferred.

My goal is a system total of $750. ( All I need is a USB DAC under $200 - used or new)

Mariusz,
I've been really impressed with a non-oversampling USB dac that you can buy on ebay from a company called VALAB.  They're based in Taiwan and ship things very quickly.  I bought mine about a year ago and shipping only took a week or so.  They can be tweaked for even better sound but out of the box , with the requisite burn-in, they sound really good.  Like all NOS Dacs, they sacrifice a bit of detail for a very smooth non-fatiguing analog-like sound.  I like mine a lot.
I also have a modded Art DI/O, which is very good but it doesn't have USB input and its highs aren't quite as smooth as the VALAB.

---Gary

http://cgi.ebay.com/Valab-NOS-USB-Re-Clock-DAC-Low-Jitter-Dual-1ppm-TCXO_W0QQitemZ290360372904QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item439ad3aea8

t-head

• 'I am sure that I am sure of nothing'
« Reply #54 on: 18 Oct 2009, 08:08 pm »
I have heard and owned a SuperPro 707 DAC. ALO has them for $110 I believe. It is a bit on the 'detailed' side of things and is upsampling. That said, you would be hard-pressed to get better sound at that price...it is small, so ICs and wallwart ps adds to certain difficulties compared to other larger, heavier units.

I modded 1 dozen or so of these for audiomagus just before their demise. Called the Amod 707, caps were changed to panasonic with increased value. Caps were removed and the opamp was bypassed and connected to two Onetics output transformers. They were recased as well. Standard model used Edcor OPTs. This resulted in a very fine, detailed, yet musical DAC. The design was the brainchild of Michael Mardis of T-amp fame. I am using one of these now...The price was above your $200 limit, though. The Onetics OPTs were $80/ pair. I do believe someone should revisit this concept, as it was a good one.

The Trends UD-10.1 was good for adding USB to non-USB DACs, but the analogue output is thru a 1/8" jack, no volume control (for headphone use) and not very detailed (veiled?)(PCM270X chip).

My 2 pence...

t

ttan98

« Reply #55 on: 18 Oct 2009, 09:54 pm »
t-head

where can I buy the Onetics output transformers for DAC? can supply any details?

thanks.

t-head

• 'I am sure that I am sure of nothing'
« Reply #56 on: 18 Oct 2009, 10:14 pm »
We bought them directly from Onetics. I'll contact them for present details...there may be a minimum as all OPTs from Onetics are custom. They do not maintain stock.

The Edcors are 10% of cost...I'll post model # soon (got to check).

t

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #57 on: 18 Oct 2009, 10:41 pm »
Have we mentioned the "coming soon" NuForce uDAC (MSRP $99 USD)?

http://www.nuforce.com/hp/products/iconudac/index.php

This is USB input only, but has headphone and digital outputs. Seems to me that NuForce of late has been coming up with a number of very intriguing affordable products.

Mariusz

« Reply #58 on: 19 Oct 2009, 12:31 am »
That Valab NOS USB Re-Clock DAC Low Jitter Dual 1ppm TCXO looks very tempting.
Two of my DACs are NOS and I like them a lot.
Mods tho are out of my liege.

Mariusz :thumb:

pardales

« Reply #59 on: 19 Oct 2009, 12:34 am »
There's also the upgraded Beresdord Caiman, with a different DAC chip, op-amps and power supply. But it's moving a little outside your price range. Beresford 7520s can also be converted to Caimans by a skilled DIYer.

The 7520 I had did have the upgraded opamps, but not sure if it had any other upgrades of the Caiman. I had a chance to hear it with stock opamps first and then the upgraded ones, and the upgraded ones were a real improvement.