50% off on Audio Alchemy DPA-1 Stereo Amp

Tom Bombadil

50% off on Audio Alchemy DPA-1 Stereo Amp
« on: 2 Jul 2018, 08:10 pm »
Audio Advisor is running a 50% off sale on the Audio Alchemy DPA-1 Stereo Amplifier.   This is a 125wpc (into 8 ohms) Class D amp.  It has gotten several good reviews, most notably from The Absolute Sound, which has it listed on their 2017 50 Greatest Bargains in High-end Audio, and that was at its $1995 price.   It is the only power amp listed in their "Mid-Priced" category.   http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/50-greatest-bargains-in-high-end-audio/

List price is $1995, AA has it for $999 with free shipping.    http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ALDPA1

While some people feel Class D amps are "edgy" or "grainy", the fact is that many new models are garnering high praise from the audiophile media.   The DPA-1's bigger brother, the DPA-1M monoblock, is on the Stereophile 2018 Recommended Components list. 

I suspect the DPA-1 is being closed out by AA.  It is shown as "out of stock" on the company's web site.   

It has some nice features, like both RCA and Balanced/XLR inputs, a switchable Gain so one can better match it to a preamp or in a bi-amp situation, clipping indicators, and a mute button.   Quite a deal at a grand.  And, if it matters to someone, it is made in the USA, out of USA and foreign parts.

Note that the amp isn't recommended for nasty speaker loads of under 4 ohms. 
« Last Edit: 3 Jul 2018, 07:35 pm by Tom Bombadil »

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup

Tom Bombadil

Re: 50% off on Audio Alchemy DPA-1 Stereo Amp
« Reply #2 on: 2 Jul 2018, 11:21 pm »
This text comes from the link in The Absolute Sound that I posted above.  In case people are wont to click on the link, I'll post this here.

"Sonically, both amplifiers have a lively, upbeat sound, powerful rhythmic drive, wide dynamic expression, and rock-solid visceral grip in the bottom end. Soundstaging and transparency are also excellent. A great value."