NX-Treme Build

Endo2112

• Particularist
Re: NX-Treme Build
« Reply #20 on: 30 Dec 2023, 08:48 pm »
Did he also mention that he spent ~100 hours preparing those!!

Don

mikela8

« Reply #21 on: 31 Dec 2023, 03:00 am »
Did he also mention that he spent ~100 hours preparing those!!

Don

Actually he did mention it was a lot of work...but I think the results appear to be worth it.

Endo2112

• Particularist
« Reply #22 on: 31 Dec 2023, 03:57 am »
Indeed, I do miss those, moved however to a much smaller room

Don

mikela8

« Reply #23 on: 15 Jan 2024, 03:41 pm »
I decided to keep the triple sub build in this thread.

I followed the Peter Rawlings YouTube video and would suggest not doing this on a table for a triple as you won't be able to easily reach the top for gluing.

« Last Edit: 16 Jan 2024, 03:59 pm by mikela8 »

Huskerbryce

« Reply #24 on: 26 Jan 2024, 07:18 am »
Im really keeping a close eye on this thread because I currently use Statement 2 mains and I am thinking of building either the Otica or Xtreme soon.  I cannot wait to hear how this build compares to your statements.  👀

mikela8

« Reply #25 on: 29 Jan 2024, 10:07 pm »
I used a 1/8" round-over bit to take the sharp edge off of all the outside edges.  I have some small gaps where the sides connect with the braces.  I assume I can fill these with Titebond perhaps mixed with a little saw dust?

I plan on using System Three S-1 penetrating epoxy as a sealer.  Any recommendations on grit sizes for sanding before applying the sealer?  I know Jay used 120 for the initial sanding he did for the purple NX-Tremes.

I'm planning on getting a paint estimate later this week.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #26 on: 30 Jan 2024, 12:34 am »
Glue makes lousy filler, especially for something you're going to use automotive paint on. Perhaps the epoxy will make a good base for automotive urethanes, but to be certain of compatibility, use products specifically designed as systems. If you do use epoxy, I would wait at least a couple of weeks for it to fully cure before working it at all.

For good results, follow proven procedures. Prime first and you'll see much more of what needs bodywork. Prime, fill sand. Prime, fill sand. You can use 120 for all initial work. On last primer coats move to 240 then 320. Prime again then sand with 400-600 for base color.

Only when your primed surface is prepped to perfection are you ready for base, then clear. Paint itself makes crappy filler and doesn't hide imperfections. Particularly true of metallics.

For filling small stuff like you pictured, polyester glazing works well. Think of it as finer grained body filler.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #27 on: 30 Jan 2024, 01:14 am »
Any recommendations on grit sizes for sanding before applying the sealer?  I know Jay used 120 for the initial sanding he did for the purple NX-Tremes.

Hi Mike,
Peter hit the nail on the head with the paint prep steps. I also concur that a polyester glazing putty is a much more suitable choice for filling inperfections and gaps. U-Pol Dolphin Glaze (part #UP0714) or Evercoat Metal Glaze (part #424) is my recommendation. That 2 part epoxy system should be fine as a wood sealant as it's basically an epoxy resin for fiberglass work. Similar to the polyester resins of laying fiberglass, but slower cure and stronger. The painter will still likely have multiple applications of primer and sanding before ready for paint. Also keep me posted with the paint quote and try to explain there will likely be a couple times of priming the speakers. I feel like that's something that painters overlook is the multiple applications of sanding and primer before spraying color and clearcoat.

mikela8

« Reply #28 on: 30 Jan 2024, 05:50 am »
Hey guys thanks for the input.  Really great information.

BrandonB

« Reply #29 on: 30 Jan 2024, 03:21 pm »
I used a 1/8" round-over bit to take the sharp edge off of all the outside edges.  I have some small gaps where the sides connect with the braces.  I assume I can fill these with Titebond perhaps mixed with a little saw dust?

I plan on using System Three S-1 penetrating epoxy as a sealer.  Any recommendations on grit sizes for sanding before applying the sealer?  I know Jay used 120 for the initial sanding he did for the purple NX-Tremes.

I am building some NX-Otica's but my build is on hold for a few weeks because of foot surgery.  I had taken them to a cabinet maker to get an estimate for painting.  He said he wanted to router the edges so the paint would stick.  Can you show some pictures of the top so I can see what it looks like from that angle.  I didn't go with the cabinet guy but I probably should have.  When you get an estimate make sure they understand that there will be several coats of primer and sanding.  I had a car guy paint my speakers and he didn't put enough coats of primer.  He also didn't sand between coats.  It was a disaster.  I eventually took them back and re-sanded myself.  I wasn't able to paint before my surgery but I think I am going to do it myself.   

mikela8

« Reply #30 on: 1 Feb 2024, 10:41 pm »
Can you show some pictures of the top so I can see what it looks like from that angle. 

mikela8

« Reply #31 on: 26 Feb 2024, 05:57 am »
When applying sealer or paint to the cabinets, is it advisable to put something like a small nail in the speaker screw holes?  Or is it unnecessary?

BTW the polyester glazing putty was a good call.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #32 on: 26 Feb 2024, 06:16 am »
When applying sealer or paint to the cabinets, is it advisable to put something like a small nail in the speaker screw holes?  Or is it unnecessary?

BTW the polyester glazing putty was a good call.

I always just made a little rolled up piece of masking tape to poke in there but if you're doing regular screws into the mdf it won't be that critical. If you did threaded inserts and machine screws, it'd be a little more critical to tape off nicely.

Glad to hear you're making some progress on those!

mikela8

« Reply #33 on: 14 Mar 2024, 04:57 am »
Hi Folks,

A quick update.

I decided to farm out my crossovers and reached out to Frederick @fre11111 for his services.  He has a thread pinned at the beginning of the GR Circle.  He really did an excellent job!  Being in the Southern California area he is going to drop by and audition the NX-Tremes once I get them built.

jmimac351

• Chief Instructor - ChinTrackDays.com
« Reply #34 on: 14 Mar 2024, 01:42 pm »
Hi Folks,

A quick update.

I decided to farm out my crossovers and reached out to Frederick @fre11111 for his services.  He has a thread pinned at the beginning of the GR Circle.  He really did an excellent job!  Being in the Southern California area he is going to drop by and audition the NX-Tremes once I get them built.

Frederick is awesome.

tortoiseman2542

« Reply #35 on: 14 Mar 2024, 02:08 pm »
Frederick is a great guy and a good friend I've made through AC.  He does amazing work and is an incredibly nice guy!

Robert

Hafgrim

« Reply #36 on: 14 Mar 2024, 02:15 pm »
Hi Folks,

A quick update.

Hey your in socal? Mind if I drop in aswell for a demo?
Fredrick is a joy to talk to and makes the cleanest crossovers.