4B-SST with "SST2 main boards" vs. 4B-SST2

dubkarma

• "God made man because he loves stories." - Canetti
4B-SST with "SST2 main boards" vs. 4B-SST2
« on: 3 Apr 2020, 09:30 pm »
Purely wanting to satisfy my curiosity rather than for any practical purpose. . .

I recently purchased a used 4B-SST amp that, after a long life in a Montreal-area studio, was sold, sent to Bryston for service, and later resold to me.

The Bryston tech's notes indicated that, among other work, he replaced the main circuit boards with SST2 main boards.

Which makes me wonder. . .does this make my old 4B-SST into an SST2? Or, if not, what are the other technical differences between the two series?

Any information about this would be much appreciated.

Mag

Re: 4B-SST with "SST2 main boards" vs. 4B-SST2
« Reply #1 on: 4 Apr 2020, 12:09 am »
Purely wanting to satisfy my curiosity rather than for any practical purpose. . .

I recently purchased a used 4B-SST amp that, after a long life in a Montreal-area studio, was sold, sent to Bryston for service, and later resold to me.

The Bryston tech's notes indicated that, among other work, he replaced the main circuit boards with SST2 main boards.

Which makes me wonder. . .does this make my old 4B-SST into an SST2? Or, if not, what are the other technical differences between the two series?

Any information about this would be much appreciated.

I believe so, I had my 3B SST upgraded to an SST/2. When it arrived back home, compared to my other 3B SST/2 it sounded much better. So I use the upgraded SST 3B with my main speakers Model T passives and my other 3B SST/2 with my surrounds Paradigm Studio 100 v2, for 4 channel stereo in my room.

dubkarma

• "God made man because he loves stories." - Canetti
Re: 4B-SST with "SST2 main boards" vs. 4B-SST2
« Reply #2 on: 4 Apr 2020, 02:36 am »
Thanks, Mag!

Now, though, your experience suggests there are (also) differences between earlier and later SST2 . . .