CES - T.H.E Show

MKOM

• My Kind of Music by J & D Design
CES - T.H.E Show
« on: 16 Dec 2006, 03:31 pm »
Are any of our members planning to attend either of these shows????

Jan 8 - 11, 2007 in Vegas

MKOM   :xmas:

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
Re: CES - T.H.E Show
« Reply #1 on: 17 Dec 2006, 08:00 am »
If you're driving, and need a co-pilot, let me know. aa

Cheers

MKOM

« Reply #2 on: 17 Dec 2006, 06:39 pm »
Oh boy....

Sounds like one heck of a road trip......

Driving though would require more than a few days to get there...and then there's the trip back.....

We will be gone for at least a month.....   :o

I'm game.....   aa

MKOM   :xmas:

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #3 on: 17 Dec 2006, 06:44 pm »
We could turn it into the TAAS cannonball run! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers

aerius

« Reply #4 on: 18 Dec 2006, 01:57 pm »
I'm sort of thinking about it, but that's only because the AVN show starts on the 11th...

bluemike

« Reply #5 on: 20 Dec 2006, 02:58 am »
Please provide pictures of the show
I want to see the girls  :lol:

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #6 on: 20 Dec 2006, 03:20 am »
Please provide pictures of the show
I want to see the girls  :lol:

bluemike,

Seems to be a re-occurring theme with you. Good to see you're still healthy! :rotflmao:

bluemike

« Reply #7 on: 20 Dec 2006, 04:01 am »
Denny as my wife says "you can look but don't touch"  8)

With work taking up so much of my time who has the time to engage in other extra curricular hobbies besides audio  :green:

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #8 on: 20 Dec 2006, 04:19 am »
Denny as my wife says "you can look but don't touch"       8)

:nono:

Cheers :lol: :lol: :lol:

MKOM

« Reply #9 on: 19 Jan 2007, 01:49 pm »
OK...General consensus was that CES at the Venetian was OK at best with some nice presentation. 

In past shows, part of the fun is the ability to purchase new software and or Vinyl.  It appears that this year, the State of Nevada has changed the rules somewhat by forcing vendors to charge the applicable state taxes.  This was not so much an issue, but the problem tended to be the means by which they collected these taxes. 

The CD or Vinyl vendors would be situated on the 29th floor of the hotel.  The buyer would select the title and then would be issued a coupon for their purchase.  They would then have to use the elevators (which took about 15 minutes) and have to walk half a mile to a CES booth where they would pay for the items and in return they would obtain a receipt.  They then would have to go back to the vendor and show proof of payment and collect their items......Unreal to say the least......   :duh:

The other show....T.H.E Show, saw fewer traffic than ever....This is unfortunate because it was at this show that people would enjoy some of the world's best equipment with pretty good presentations....  :(

Did anyone make it down?????

MKOM
« Last Edit: 21 Jan 2007, 03:04 am by MKOM »

Don_S

« Reply #10 on: 19 Jan 2007, 10:47 pm »
I did not see any vendors on the 29th floor.  I did see several vendors (Including Chesky) in the same large room on one of the lower floors (1-4 in the Venetian/Sands).  The procedure you described was the same--get an order slip from the vendor, pay at a separate cashier, return with a receipt and pick up the merchandise.  The difference was the cashier was in the same room only a few feet away from the vendors.

There was one CD vendor in a separate room down the hall from the large room I just mentioned.  That vendor was taking orders for CDs to be delivered later via USPS or other shipper.

There seemed to be fewer vendors than last year.

MKOM

« Reply #11 on: 20 Jan 2007, 02:21 pm »
Hi Don:

Did you happen to make it over to T.H.E Show???

If so, any thoughts....

MKOM   :D

Don_S

« Reply #12 on: 20 Jan 2007, 04:44 pm »
MKOM,  I spent about two days at T.H.E. Show.   To go to Vegas for CES and not go to the show is a serious mistake.  T.H.E. Show is free and there is a free shuttle between it and the Venetian (location of hi-end audio at CES).

But those are not the reasons to attend the Show.  There are seriously good sounding rooms there with seriously good equipment presented by people who are not quite so serious.  I do not mean the exhibitors do not care.  What I mean is they are more relaxed and more of their passion is apparent.  The atmosphere at The Show is more relaxed than at CES and I enjoyed it a lot more.

The lower cost of The Show allows some smaller manufacturers to participate and introduce new products but The Show also includes many big names.  Check out the list of exhibitors on The Show website. 

http://theshowlasvegas.com/main/exhibitors_full.php?Sid=fc9ffd1cbaa1c5a88edd70247a1ff493

That will give you a better idea of the high level of quality presented there.  Note that the list does not include a few late entries.  Some exhibitors like Aaudio Imports brought several lines with them.  Aaudio had several rooms including an Acapella room and an Accustic Arts room that was excellent.

My only complaint about T.H.E. Show is they do not have much room to expand.  I would like to see it bigger.

MKOM

« Reply #13 on: 21 Jan 2007, 02:52 am »
Don:

I know what you mean and I agree, my preference has always been T.H.E show.  In past years that I have attended, I have always enjoyed the venue there.  I have also enjoyed CES at Alexis Park but when I found out that they had moved it to the Venetian, I decided it would be more productive to keep our store open rather than attend.

The other factor that was most apparent is the childish bickering that has gone on for quite some time now between CES and T.H.E organizers.  It appears that CES may have won this battle by moving their venue further way from San Tropez and T.H.E Show to the Venetian.  The final attendance numbers from T.H.E Show may confirm this.   :nono:

In summary....next stop Rocky Mountain Show....based on feedback from some of our clients, this is the Show to attend....Great venues from avid listeners....

Cheers & Happy Listening,

MKOM   :D