DAC-9

cliffy

Re: DAC-9
« Reply #160 on: 21 Oct 2016, 07:44 pm »
I am also a satisfied DAC-9 owner, using a NuForce MSR-1 server as source. My only problem with the DAC-9 + HPA-9 combination (and therefore the reason for not heading that direction) is that the DAC-9 does not have a processor/tape loop where I can plug the HPA-9 in. Therefore, when using the HPA-9, I cannot listen to the digital inputs on my DAC-9. If the DAC-9 had a loop (instead of just an analogue input), I have no doubt I would have added a HPA-9 to my system. Could this be made a future upgrade to the DAC-9?

Thanks,
Deon

More info please!  I don't see this product on the website.

Never mind.  Google is my friend :-)
« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2016, 12:56 am by cliffy »

GreatDane

« Reply #161 on: 5 Nov 2016, 01:05 pm »
After many hours of research, reading specs, and comparing DACs, I finally decided to order the DAC-9.

The specs on this thing are spectacular! THD+N: 0.0015%....

I'll be using it in pure DAC mode to pair with my McIntosh MA6600. I've been searching for a warm sounding, non-fatiguing DAC - don't like lean and analytical.

pewe

« Reply #162 on: 10 Nov 2016, 10:03 am »
Congrats on you new DAC9. If you have time I would appreciate some listening impressions :)

GreatDane

« Reply #163 on: 15 Nov 2016, 10:43 pm »
Just got my DAC-9 today and listening to the the first few songs. So far sounds great! Sounds clear and open.

Quick question. Is there a way to bypass the preamp? I couldn't find anything in the manual. Or do you just max out the volume on the preamp to use as a straight DAC?

Thanks

JackD

« Reply #164 on: 16 Nov 2016, 12:00 am »
Set it at 94.  That is the 0 db setting.

GreatDane

« Reply #165 on: 16 Nov 2016, 12:23 am »
Thanks for the reply. That helps.

One other question. Is there a way to switch the display to display the current bitrate instead of the of the input/volume? I read somewhere it was supposed to switch over to bitrate over a period of time, but mine stays constantly on input/volume.

ertner

« Reply #166 on: 20 Nov 2016, 02:57 pm »
Anybody knows if its possible to select which outputs are active?
I plan to feed my active Focal Solos from the XLR's, and connect a headphone amp to the RCA outputs. Of course I can switch off the headphone amp when listening to the speakers and vice versa, but it would be far more elegant just to select the output I want to use.
Haven't got a DAC-9 yet, so I'm not able to test it myself....

GreatDane

« Reply #167 on: 21 Nov 2016, 11:20 pm »
I could be wrong, but I think both outputs are active all the time.

John Casler

« Reply #168 on: 21 Nov 2016, 11:55 pm »
Anybody knows if its possible to select which outputs are active?
I plan to feed my active Focal Solos from the XLR's, and connect a headphone amp to the RCA outputs. Of course I can switch off the headphone amp when listening to the speakers and vice versa, but it would be far more elegant just to select the output I want to use.
Haven't got a DAC-9 yet, so I'm not able to test it myself....

No, on the DAC-9 and DAC-10, the outputs are not selectable, and yes, they are both active.

John Casler

« Reply #169 on: 22 Nov 2016, 12:03 am »
Thanks for the reply. That helps.

One other question. Is there a way to switch the display to display the current bitrate instead of the of the input/volume? I read somewhere it was supposed to switch over to bitrate over a period of time, but mine stays constantly on input/volume.

I believe the IDA-8, DAC-9, and DAC-10 all display the volume setting only when "adjusting" the volume, on "digital sources", and then diplay the "bitrate" after a few seconds.

However if you are using the "analog" inputs, the volume setting would be the on the display, and no bitrate.

GreatDane

« Reply #170 on: 22 Nov 2016, 12:25 am »
Hmmmmm. Mine doesn't do that. It stays on volume setting. I'm using the USB input.

John Casler

« Reply #171 on: 22 Nov 2016, 01:33 am »
Hmmmmm. Mine doesn't do that. It stays on volume setting. I'm using the USB input.

Actually I worded that wrong.  :duh:

On the DAC-10 it is the bitrate that is displayed, and the Volume is only displayed when you are changing it.

On the IDA-8 it is the volume that is displayed and the bitrate is only displayed when you first change to the "source".

I don't have a DAC-9 here to verify, but I assume it is the same as the DAC-10.

GreatDane

« Reply #172 on: 22 Nov 2016, 01:40 am »
I've emailed NuPrime for clarification on the issue a few days ago, but haven't heard back yet.

dwaleke

« Reply #173 on: 22 Nov 2016, 03:55 am »
Dac-9 stays on input and volume level with USB input.

GreatDane

« Reply #174 on: 22 Nov 2016, 03:58 am »
Thanks.

ertner

« Reply #175 on: 22 Nov 2016, 05:11 pm »
No, on the DAC-9 and DAC-10, the outputs are not selectable, and yes, they are both active.

Thanks

maty

maty

« Reply #177 on: 8 Dec 2016, 12:05 pm »
Please, can you tell us how it attenuates jitter?

These days I have greatly attenuated the jitter generated by the computer -USB jitter was already solved- and the improvement in sound is great, very great (I have an ODAC).

davidavdavid

• Music lover first, gear head second.
    • david.com
« Reply #178 on: 29 Dec 2016, 02:24 pm »
Just paging through my AudioAdvisor Winter Clearance circular and it would appear that they have a deal on 2 demo units of Nuprime's DAC 9. They are available for $599.91 each.

It has been three years, not such a long time ago that I purchased my exasSound e22 DAC, with which I am enamored. It was one of the first readily available to handle DSD 256 and its voltage switched automatically so I was sold on it immediately. It sounds great too

Anyhow, pretty much the same features which I purchased for $2500 can be available to you for $600, if you take advantage of the above offer. Even at the regular price of $749, thats about one-third the price I paid for my E22, a bit less than that even.

The DAC 9 at any price is a bargain compared to what's out there.

reillyzing

« Reply #179 on: 2 Jan 2017, 02:56 pm »
rustydoglim, can you give your thoughts on the DAC-9 versus DAC-10 for rock music only?